What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yep... Simmons is the target, Byron Ford deal falls through

Serc

First Grade
I was about to say the same thing Dean...(and never thought I would)

Bring back Carmont!

Our recruitment has been a disappointment compared to last season. De Gois is a gem of a player but we need more given who we have lost overall in comparison. Our depth in 2009 will actually be less than what we had this year.I doubt Onslow rates Simmons. I think he is being kind to Smithy here. That said Smithy could turn Simmons into a super back. You never know.

spider

Coach
simmons has gone from 87kg as a winger - to now tipping the scales at just over 100kg's since he recovered from the shoulder injury a season back

has lost an enormous amount of pace due to the extra weight

apologies in advance guys

stuke

Bench
Our recruitment has been a disappointment compared to last season. De Gois is a gem of a player but we need more given who we have lost overall in comparison. Our depth in 2009 will actually be less than what we had this year.I doubt Onslow rates Simmons. I think he is being kind to Smithy here. That said Smithy could turn Simmons into a super back. You never know.

Brian can be pretty hit and miss with some of his 'project players'.

Parra fans are still laughing (or crying) at some of his great selections. names like Langi, Kusto, Kativerata and of course, the immortal Carige have all been Brian's projects.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
HA!

Dreams can come true.

You all doubted it.

I need quigs to do one of his photoshops with Simmo holding a "Newcastle or Bust" sign.

HA!

Liam

Juniors
Well, if it's for the 2010 season then he'll most likely be taking Luke Doogs' spot in PL.

red and blue

Juniors
HA!

Dreams can come true.

You all doubted it.

I need quigs to do one of his photoshops with Simmo holding a "Newcastle or Bust" sign.

HA!
He hasnt gone anywhere yet hes still a shark and think he will stay a shark. He dosent want to come to newcastle they say witch is good because we dont want him.

lizziebra

Juniors
He is almost 100% a Knight in 2010 though. With Mad Dog gone and Simmons off contract, no doubt he will be a B.Smith Priority. :(

BG

Juniors
Brian can be pretty hit and miss with some of his 'project players'.

Parra fans are still laughing (or crying) at some of his great selections. names like Langi, Kusto, Kativerata and of course, the immortal Carige have all been Brian's projects.

I'm pretty sure none of those players had done anything or were worth much when Smith started coaching them. It would be impossible for a coach to turn every no-name to gold. Smith likes to roll the dice with cheap imports or unheralded locals, and every now and then he gets a bargain that pays for the others ten times over.

Simmons is in a different bracket. I can't claim to have taken much notice of him in the past but he is an established NRL player and former city rep who's obviously been well below his best. Smith has an incredible record of re-igniting the careers of players who have shown ability but been languishing for whatever reason. For instance Eric Grothe jr, Dean Widders, Paul Stringer, PJ Marsh and Wade Mckinnon had all been either injury-plagued, slipping out of form or languishing in reserve grade before Smith got them performing at the Eels and they all played important roles in the team that took the 2005 minor premiership.

Yosh

Coach
The most shocking thing for me is... Simmons had speed to lose? He is garbage full stop... Could we the 2nd coming of Rydneldson...

Snoop Shark

First Grade
Bad luck about byron ford guys....i suppose it will make a few of the doubters happy!

Id hate to hear those byron knockers if you did sign simmons....in a nut shell simmons isnt half the player ford is!

Frederick

Staff member
Meantime, outside back David Simmons, has rejected an offer from the Newcastle Knights and will remain at the Sharks.
He will battle with Fraser Anderson, Reece Williams and new recruit Matthew Wright for a centre spot, alongside Ben Pomeroy.
LINK

\\\\:D/\\\\:D/

Frederick

Staff member
I'd actually offer Aku half, and see if we can lure Royal back with the rest. The more I think about it, the more I convince myself we don't need Doogs next year