What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yep... Simmons is the target, Byron Ford deal falls through

Spike

First Grade
You can't help feel a little dejected by Simmons' decision. Luckily there is an upside

Jono078

Referee
I'd actually offer Aku half, and see if we can lure Royal back with the rest. The more I think about it, the more I convince myself we don't need Doogs next year
Hmm. He was one of the form centres for the last month and a bit this past season. Would be a risk going with McManus, Sau and Naiqama as our main centres I think. Doogs could be good for just 1 more year.

I wish we kept White though, he is gonna be huge this year with Bailey as his partner in the starting front row.

Frederick

Staff member
Hmm. He was one of the form centres for the last month and a bit this past season. Would be a risk going with McManus, Sau and Naiqama as our main centres I think. Doogs could be good for just 1 more year.

I wish we kept White though, he is gonna be huge this year with Bailey as his partner in the starting front row.
I wouldn't see it as being a risk. Sure, Doogs was great for the last 5 or 6 games of the season, but he was pretty much sh*t for the rest of the season. We were all calling for his head at the start of the year, and while he did have a good month of footy, I'd still prefer to go with longer-term options in Sau, McManus, and Naiqama rather than throwing money at an ageing Doogs who is no guarantee to carry his form into next year

KempoKnight

Juniors
I wouldn't see it as being a risk. Sure, Doogs was great for the last 5 or 6 games of the season, but he was pretty much sh*t for the rest of the season. We were all calling for his head at the start of the year, and while he did have a good month of footy, I'd still prefer to go with longer-term options in Sau, McManus, and Naiqama rather than throwing money at an ageing Doogs who is no guarantee to carry his form into next year

Agree 100%. Why not try and get combinations going for the future now instead of being in the exact same position a year down the track. If doogs loves the club like its been said he does, then I'm sure he wouldnt mind helping some of the younger guys out even if he isnt playing next year.

macavity

Referee
we can rule out Jimmy as a centre option - he is dropping some weight to stay on the wing.

I want doogs for one more year - we could even see something crazy like a back on the bench as impact - ie doogs/wes to FB, gids to hooker for 20 mins..

Frederick

Staff member
I want doogs for one more year - we could even see something crazy like a back on the bench as impact - ie doogs/wes to FB, gids to hooker for 20 mins..
But why? Why move Gidley from his best position just so we can play an impact centre off the bench? Where is the advantage in weakening two of the 4 key positions on the field?

Hanscholo

Bench
You can't help feel a little dejected by Simmons' decision. Luckily there is an upside

Being rejected by one of the worst centres in the game is kind of deflating. Especially when he is being pushed out the door where he is. Still, its good for us im sure, although I do remember feeling the same way when we signed Ainscough.

BG

Juniors
Doogs was great for the last 5 or 6 games of the season, but he was pretty much sh*t for the rest of the season. We were all calling for his head at the start of the year

He played consistently great footy from about round 12 imho. He only played about three games in the first 3 months and they were mixed (similar to 2007, some strong attack compromised by some positional mistakes in defence and under bombs). When he eventually got over his sprained toe-nail and allergy to paintball he really did well for the rest of the year. It just took him a couple of months to win over some fans who had already written him off.

Having said that, it's Doogs ability to find an injury and the time it takes him to get back on the field that remains a concern. I'd love to see him go round again, but I hope the contract isn't too exorbitant--or at least that it's heavily loaded towards incentives based on the number of games he plays.

BG

Juniors

I don't mind that idea. Gids is a bigger weapon out of dummy-half against tiring forwards than Hilder (who is equally effective as a tackling machine whether he plays 9 or in the backrow). But if this is on the cards why buy Ndaira?

keeney

First Grade
Simmons? According to the Herald, Simmons declared he wasn't interested in coming here. Which is good.

Last edited by a moderator:

otori

Juniors
Well someone posted an article about Steve Turner being shopped around (don't worry I don't want him either) but in it there's a reference to Will Chambers being forced out as well due to the salary cap. We should definitely go after that kid if we're in the market for a centre. He'd be fairly cheap and he's got loads of potential.

macavity

Referee
But why? Why move Gidley from his best position just so we can play an impact centre off the bench? Where is the advantage in weakening two of the 4 key positions on the field?

because Doogs/Uate are fantastic on kick return, and Gids is very good at dummy half. it gives De Gois a rest, gives Gids the chance to run at tiring forwards and use some energy, and lets Hilder concentrate on tackling and hit ups - I rate him more as a 13 than a 9.

I think its a win/win/win - we will see if Smithy sees it the same way.

Ndaira was signed as a back-up only. If De Gois goes down expect him to get game time, but otherwise I dont expect to see him in first grade, unless off the bench to spell De Gois while Hilder is injured - although as above, I personally think a 20min hooker is wasted on the bench whilst we have Gids and the chance for some more impact. Having said that, Ndaira's best attribute is probably his running game.

Whats Doing

Bench
Well someone posted an article about Steve Turner being shopped around (don't worry I don't want him either) but in it there's a reference to Will Chambers being forced out as well due to the salary cap. We should definitely go after that kid if we're in the market for a centre. He'd be fairly cheap and he's got loads of potential.

Spot on there. He is a real talent, speed to burn and only young

Yosh

Coach
Spot on there. He is a real talent, speed to burn and only young

Sure he isnt a bad player but I cant see him being any better then what we already have now..

Uate/Wes/Mac/Vuna/Sua they all better or as good as he is... Pointless buy perhaps?

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
Why do you need to 'move' Kids to hooker, he plays their with his natural game anyway. No use making any type of game plan for him he doesn't even know what his doing half the time, just put him at the back and he'll play 5 positions a set anyway.

roopy

Referee
Menzies Yere - currently on $25 a fortnight - I think we could match that without blowing out the salary cap, and i think he could show dramatic improvement if we put him into pre season training now.

aqua_duck

Coach
Chambers would be the strike centre we've been looking for, any bloke who can be a starter at the storm at age 19 is doing ok