What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You set of knobs!

simmo1

First Grade
The Poms have always been the kings of poaching players from other countries, in all sports.

deluded pom?

Coach
but then isnt that player only playin for that nation because he cant get a game for the nation he actually wants to represent?? thats wrong

What 'spud means dib is that no player should have to choose his allegiance when he's not even in consideration for a game. They should only have to choose when they have been contacted by a nation they are eligible for and if they want to select him for their team. he could either say "yes please" or "thanks but no thanks".

roughyedspud

Coach
I could easily find a few genuine "Aussies" in ten minutes searching the 'net simmo but like you it would be pointless.

when we beat australia in the medals table of the last olympics...alot of aussies started whinging about how we needed welsh/scottish cyclists (how this is relevant when we compete as GB is beyond me)..or how bradley wiggin was born in holland...and some of the coaches are foreign...so a 'whinging pom' took the time to have a dig though the aussies athletes/coaching roster and found their list of foreign born athletes or coaches to be 3 or 4 times longer than ours :lol:

Evil Homer

Staff member
Soccer makes people choose at the time they rep at national 20s (I think),
No they don't. Players are not tied to any nation until they win their first senior cap. Case in point Kevin Prince Boateng. He was has a German mother and a Ghanaian father and so was eligible for both nations. He played over 40 times for Germany from U15 right through to U21 level, but wasn't selected for the senior side. Last year aged 23 he declared that he wanted to commit to Ghana, he made his debut for them just before the World Cup and now he is considered Ghanaian and can only represent Ghana in the future. His half brother, Jerome, was also eligible for Germany and Ghana, he chose to go with Germany and made his debut for the senior side in 2009. As such can only represent Germany in the future. This is how it should work in RL. Carr's proposal is a joke.

Last edited:

hutch

First Grade
Tim Cahill couldn't play for Australia until he was 25 because he played for Samoa when he was 15 I think. Now that is a stand down period!

RedVee

First Grade
No they don't. Players are not tied to any nation until they win their first senior cap. Case in point Kevin Prince Boateng. He was has a German mother and a Ghanaian father and so was eligible for both nations. He played over 40 times for Germany from U15 right through to U21 level, but wasn't selected for the senior side. Last year aged 23 he declared that he wanted to commit to Ghana, he made his debut for them just before the World Cup and now he is considered Ghanaian and can only represent Ghana in the future. His half brother, Jerome, was also eligible for Germany and Ghana, he chose to go with Germany and made his debut for the senior side in 2009. As such can only represent Germany in the future. This is how it should work in RL. Carr's proposal is a joke.

Ok. I'm far from expert in the area of soccer. :) but I recall the Aussie press many times bemoaning the approaches of countries like Serbia and Croatia that approach our youngsters and try to get them by playing (I thought) 20s. Some they tie up, others they don't.

Tim Cahill couldn't play for Australia until he was 25 because he played for Samoa when he was 15 I think. Now that is a stand down period!

Yes, I recall an issue with Cahill. Did it go to arbitration at one stage?

roughyedspud

Coach
i think FIFA just changed the laws...prior to the law change you used to be locked in if you get junior level caps...and cahill played for samoa under 17s at 14..locking him in..

and he was'nt banned from playing for australia till he was 25..it just happens that he was 25 when FIFA changed the laws

Evil Homer

Staff member
Ok. I'm far from expert in the area of soccer. :) but I recall the Aussie press many times bemoaning the approaches of countries like Serbia and Croatia that approach our youngsters and try to get them by playing (I thought) 20s. Some they tie up, others they don't.
I guess they would just be doing that to try and integrate them into the system and make them more likely to commit in the future.

What's insteresting is that there do seem to be a lot of Eastern European descent soccer players in Australia, but I can't think of any examples in RL? It would be good for the game if the likes of Serbia had a few players to draw on.

DecoyRunner

Juniors
The only one I have a problem with is Fien playing for NZ. I don't care that he lived there for a couple of seasons. He lived in Townsville for his whole life, then moved to NZ for a couple of years, now he lives in Wollongong. Yet he's such a Kiwi he wants to represent them for the rest of his career. Negro please.

roughyedspud

Coach
What 'spud means dib is that no player should have to choose his allegiance when he's not even in consideration for a game. They should only have to choose when they have been contacted by a nation they are eligible for and if they want to select him for their team. he could either say "yes please" or "thanks but no thanks".

just discovered a fantastic example case - ALEX GLENN a Tri eligible player

taken from wikipedia

2007 Glenn was named in the Australian Under 20s national touch football development squad, having represented at a national level throughout his teens, he was also selected for U19 Qld State of Origin side but declined both opportunities to represent a Kiwi Jersey one day

left his options open

Glenn was part of the Cook Islands squad for the 2009 Pacific Cup, although he pulled out due to injury

thats his 3rd team he's eligible for but because he did'nt play he still have the option of cooks,NZ or australia

In 2010 he was selected in the test squad for New Zealand to play against Australia, however he was named as 18th man and did not play in the test

so close to being looked in...but as he did'nt play he still has his option open

Instead, Glenn represented the Cook Islands at the end of the year.

now this is where the powers that be need to grow apair and make players accountable..if he did play for the cooks last year then he should be locked in to the cooks.....he has more options than most players,lucky boy, and being so close to the NZ in 2010 you would have thought he would have stuck it out with NZ.....BUT HE DECIDED TO GO PLAY FOR THE COOK ISLANDS...so that should be that

hutch

First Grade
now this is where the powers that be need to grow apair and make players accountable..if he did play for the cooks last year then he should be locked in to the cooks.....he has more options than most players,lucky boy, and being so close to the NZ in 2010 you would have thought he would have stuck it out with NZ.....BUT HE DECIDED TO GO PLAY FOR THE COOK ISLANDS...so that should be that

agree with you 100%. just in regards to the cook islands, zeb taias parents are both from the cook islands, but he played for nz because the cook islands is a nz dependency. what is the point of even having a cook islands team if their players also qualify for nz?

Matua

Bench
just discovered a fantastic example case - ALEX GLENN a Tri eligible player

taken from wikipedia

left his options open

thats his 3rd team he's eligible for but because he did'nt play he still have the option of cooks,NZ or australia

so close to being looked in...but as he did'nt play he still has his option open

I was under the impression that that Glenn and Taia only played because they were told that it wouldn't stop them from representing NZ? I think it because it wasn't international games. I'm pretty sure both wouldn't have played if it would have harmed their eligibility for NZ.

Edit: It was a Prime Ministers 13 that they played in - not the full Cook Island team. http://www.cinews.co.ck/2010/October/Wed20/sports.php

roughyedspud

Coach
fair enough....he's still eligible to choose...lucky boy

but.....who the hell told them that playing for the cook island would'nt stop them playing for NZ?? when clearly it would (should).....we've gotta stop disrespecting the "little" teams....the cook island where 1 game away from the 4nations a couple of years ago ffs

Matua

Bench

but.....who the hell told them that playing for the cook island would'nt stop them playing for NZ?? when clearly it would (should).....we've gotta stop disrespecting the "little" teams....the cook island where 1 game away from the 4nations a couple of years ago ffs
No, as I noted above they were playing for the Cook Islands Prime Ministers 15, not the Cook Islands national team. So whoever told them, gave them the correct information. I dont see how letting two players play for an invitation team is disrespecting the Cook Islands.

There's nothing lucky about it, which is why he checked first, if it would have effected his eligibility he wouldn't have played the game. He's made his choice and he chose NZ (fair enough to, he was born and raised in NZ). You're making up some falsehoods seemingly to support your position - in this particular case.

Evil Homer

Staff member

It wasn't a great example because the Cook Islands shouldn't even be considered a national team in the same way as other islands. If it was Samoa or something, then yeah your point would be valid.

Evil Homer

Staff member
oi leave the cook islands alone
No, I respect what they do but they are not a nation and shouldn't be in the World Cup. In soccer, the likes of Guadeloupe are able to enter regional competitions, but not attempt to qualify for the World Cup because they are territories and this would mean players having a choice of two nations - Guadeloupe is represented in the World Cup by France and all their players are eligible for France at any time regardless of whether they have played for Guadeloupe or not. This is the way Cook Islands should be treated in RL. Ironically Cook Islands are allowed to participate in soccer WC qualifiers, but the Oceana soccer qualifying section is a joke with no chance of any of the teams even coming close to qualifying. This shouldn't be the case in RL where Oceanic nations are much stronger.

The Observer

Staff member
It wasn't a great example because the Cook Islands shouldn't even be considered a national team in the same way as other islands.

How do you define nation? What criteria do you use to determine suitability to compete in international sport? If sovereignty, or political autonomy is your criterion, can we rule out the Home Nations from competing in international competition?

Latest posts