What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You should not get beaten by 32 points, if you SCORE 32 points!

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Clubs save a fair bot of money by sharing costs with feeder clubs, like Parra with Wenty, Penrith with Windsor, etc etc. So it wont be an easy transition back as many will think.

I think that we can make what we have now work if the NSW Cup is run better. If we could get the NSW Cup as highly reguarded as the Qld Cup then I think the system we have now will be acceptable on all fronts. Only difference is kids will go from NYC - NSW and Qld Cup - NRL, there would be a crowd and television exposure gap when the kids go to the state leagues.

First thing we obviously need for the NSW Cup is more money to its clubs. Not necessarily too much money, but enough for better quality facilities and the like. Where this money will come from I dont know, id assume the NSWRL, but as far as I know theyre skint broke too. Idiots.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
saw a good 19-0 game yesterday. only reason it wasn't 19-4 or 19-6 was because the dragons second rower, with three unmarked men outside him took the tackle and dropped the ball with time almost up.

Adsy

Juniors
Technically, I don't think you do get beaten when the scores are 32 all.

Huh?

Anyways on the topic of how bad defence is in the Toyota Cup. It just doesn't make sense to me. Go watch a local under 20s game and those boys put a great deal of effort into defence.

Too many pretty boys in the NYC me thinks.

Big Pete

Referee
x_x

Brain fart on my part.

I thought he meant you shouldn't lose when you have 32 put on you when you score 32 and was like...:|

Too many late night assignments I think.

bluey

Bench
Undr 23s and reserve grade only way to go how they find the money well that is what they are paid for.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
NSWRL could do one simple thing to make some money from NSW Cup.

Play the games as undercards to NRL games.

Under 20's, NSW Cup then NRL

it makes good business sense.

How much money would you spend at the ground if you were there for 6 hours compared to 2 hours?

Plus the NSW Cup could get a share in the gate receipts.

As it stands, it is free to go to NSW Cup games, and a lot of the time there's only around 100 people at an absolute maximum, at the games, so charging them would be pointless.

I went to one game this year where there were more players in one side than there were people watching the game.

NSW Cup is dying and the NSWRL and NRL are doing nothing to help it.

blackandwhite

Juniors
NYC is fine as it is.

Yep and the Storm should win the NRL comp this year as well !!

It's not fine and most people know that.

The actual problem is that they go from an SG Ball comp of 9 rounds (70 min games) to an NYC comp of 26 rounds and each game is now 80 minutes.

You can't seriously expect the children at this age to defend well for so long a length of time or to somehow be ready to play NRL.

Yes I know some can...most can't.

Talanexor

Juniors
Umm, might sound like a stupid question as I don't know the finer points of how feeder teams etc work but why don't we have 3 club-based competitions? u20s, reserve grade and first grade.

Players come through the Toyota Cup system playing in big arenas with large crowds and chalk up huge scorelines and then go back to playing park footy in suburban grounds in front of 50 people.

Or they walk straight into NRL teams, even though they can't defend and aren't developed enough to handle the physicality.

If we amalgamated QLD Cup and NSW Cup and just gave every NRL team a reserve team and a u20s team, and then sold 3 games for the price of one ticket it'd be a great way to pump money into grassroots football.

The only downside I see, as a Cowboys fan, is that regional areas would lose QLD Cup matches - eg people in Cairns and Mackay would have to trek to Townsville eveyr week to see lower grade competitions, instead of watching the Pride or the Cutters. This shouldn't be a big problem for city-based teams though.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
I've stopped watching NYC. I just don't find it entertaining. I want to see good tries that are earnt with good attacking play ... not gifted through practically non-existent defence.

franklin2323

Immortal
I'm sure I turned it on and ncle led 26-6. Surely they couldn't of conceded 58 points to 6 after leading by 20???

Did I see this right??

Yeah 32 mins in. 26-6 26-24 1/2 time. Then the murder started I spoke the Wade Graham after the game he said. The main difference is in NYC is there's a 1/2 of chance somethings on the coach says go for it as you don't get noticed if you don't carve teams up defensive players don't get the call up to NRL.

I can't remeber a defence player up can anyone else??

Where as in NRL coaches want you to play the percentages if it's not 90% chance of working you don't do it.

Just what he said sounds pretty spot on actually

Noa

First Grade
Yep and the Storm should win the NRL comp this year as well !!

It's not fine and most people know that.

The actual problem is that they go from an SG Ball comp of 9 rounds (70 min games) to an NYC comp of 26 rounds and each game is now 80 minutes.

You can't seriously expect the children at this age to defend well for so long a length of time or to somehow be ready to play NRL.

Yes I know some can...most can't.

Needs some tweeking and more rests for the players I agree but that is a different argument. The whole argument over the defence in the competition and players not being ready for 1st-grade is a furphy.

Of course they FKN arent ready for the NRL and teams who use NYC plyers in first grade are gooses, however thats on the clubs not the NYC. The smart teams or teams that arent looking to save cash, dont use them, they make them go through NSW cup for a year or 2.

Edited to add you watch any under-age competition in the world, offence is always light-years ahead of defence. Why do people epect it to be any different. Think of how boring the game would be if a generation of defensive robots with no creativity came through the ranks.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
Clubs save a fair bot of money by sharing costs with feeder clubs, like Parra with Wenty, Penrith with Windsor, etc etc. So it wont be an easy transition back as many will think.

I think that we can make what we have now work if the NSW Cup is run better. If we could get the NSW Cup as highly reguarded as the Qld Cup then I think the system we have now will be acceptable on all fronts. Only difference is kids will go from NYC - NSW and Qld Cup - NRL, there would be a crowd and television exposure gap when the kids go to the state leagues.

First thing we obviously need for the NSW Cup is more money to its clubs. Not necessarily too much money, but enough for better quality facilities and the like. Where this money will come from I dont know, id assume the NSWRL, but as far as I know theyre skint broke too. Idiots.

I don't think it'd be that hard at all.

Keep it a two grade competition. Keep it as Telstra Premiership and Toyota Cup.

Just change it to U23s with 5-6 over aged players allowed in.

They'd learn a hell of a lot faster if they had guys with 5 years NRL experience playing with or against them when they're not playing 1st grade.