What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Young Guns poll.

What players have forum members seen play live.

• Total voters

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
AT 203 centimetres it's hard to miss Aiden Stait, but over the next six weeks the talented prop hopes it is more than his height that catches the eye.

Stait has been included in the 36-player Illawarra Steelers' SG Ball summer squad and he's hoping that he is one of the 25 who get the nod to go on and represent the club.
From November 1 he will spend six weeks in camp, training four times each week, before a trial against the St George Dragons on December 11.
"It's going to be awesome, I've loved Wollongong since I was a kid so for this to happen, six weeks I'll be up there, I can't wait," Stait said.
While Stait's 2021 season with St Pat's included being part of the squad which won the inaugural Western under 21s title and a starting prop in their Group 10 first division outfit, he didn't really rate himself a chance of getting a call from the Steelers.
Still, he filled out an application.
The COVID-19 lockdown meant Stait did not get a chance to stake his claims for a squad spot via a trial with the Steelers, but his application was good enough for the club to invite him to summer camp.
"Steelers they're one of the best teams up there, they've made the grand final I think the past three-four years," Stait said.
"To be honest I thought there was no point even applying, but then I thought to myself 'You can't be in the team if you don't even apply' so I put in an application.
"They gave me a phone call while I was at work and let me know. I was on the edge of my seat the whole day ready to go, waiting for the email. I was over the moon."
BREAKING THROUGH: Aiden Stait has impressed in the front row for St Pat's and hopes in 2022 he will get to do it for the Illawarra Steelers as well. Photo: ANYA WHITELAW

BREAKING THROUGH: Aiden Stait has impressed in the front row for St Pat's and hopes in 2022 he will get to do it for the Illawarra Steelers as well. Photo: ANYA WHITELAW

While Stait has previously represented Group 10 at under 15s level and was a member of the Western Rams under 16s, if he makes the cut for the Steelers it will be the biggest moment of his career thus far.
At 17, he is one of the youngest hopefuls who will attend the summer camp, with the 2022 SG Ball being an under 19s competition.
But Stait is familiar with around three-quarters of the summer camp squad thanks to his Combined High Schools representative experience and it appears he is one of five props in contention.
Though he has been doing some training with his father and brother, he is anticipating the fitness aspects of the camp will be a challenge.
"They've been sending me a few of the programs and booklets and they're not too kind, I'm not the fittest," he laughed.
But fitness will come and as both his Saints team-mates and those who have played against him know, Stait hits hard in defence and busts tackles in attack.
He also lacks nothing in terms of motivation, Stait keen to follow in the footsteps of fellow Saint and good friend Josh Belfanti who made his SG Ball debut for Penrith this year.
"It gives you a lot of motivation seeing guys around here make it. My best mate Josh Belfanti, we played at Pat's together and I played 18s last year with him, so two years I played up with those boys, and he was the one who really bought me in," Stait said.
"Watching him make it has been great, he's been on my back, we've been running together, and that's helped me out with motivation, I've worked off him a lot."

randomdragon

Juniors
what has happened to shalom oofou? he is a DS player but didn't see him on the weekend but we did see non DS players?

saints4ever

First Grade
AT 203 centimetres it's hard to miss Aiden Stait, but over the next six weeks the talented prop hopes it is more than his height that catches the eye.

Stait has been included in the 36-player Illawarra Steelers' SG Ball summer squad and he's hoping that he is one of the 25 who get the nod to go on and represent the club.
From November 1 he will spend six weeks in camp, training four times each week, before a trial against the St George Dragons on December 11.
"It's going to be awesome, I've loved Wollongong since I was a kid so for this to happen, six weeks I'll be up there, I can't wait," Stait said.
While Stait's 2021 season with St Pat's included being part of the squad which won the inaugural Western under 21s title and a starting prop in their Group 10 first division outfit, he didn't really rate himself a chance of getting a call from the Steelers.
Still, he filled out an application.
The COVID-19 lockdown meant Stait did not get a chance to stake his claims for a squad spot via a trial with the Steelers, but his application was good enough for the club to invite him to summer camp.
"Steelers they're one of the best teams up there, they've made the grand final I think the past three-four years," Stait said.
"To be honest I thought there was no point even applying, but then I thought to myself 'You can't be in the team if you don't even apply' so I put in an application.
"They gave me a phone call while I was at work and let me know. I was on the edge of my seat the whole day ready to go, waiting for the email. I was over the moon."
BREAKING THROUGH: Aiden Stait has impressed in the front row for St Pat's and hopes in 2022 he will get to do it for the Illawarra Steelers as well. Photo: ANYA WHITELAW's and hopes in 2022 he will get to do it for the Illawarra Steelers as well. Photo: ANYA WHITELAW

While Stait has previously represented Group 10 at under 15s level and was a member of the Western Rams under 16s, if he makes the cut for the Steelers it will be the biggest moment of his career thus far.
At 17, he is one of the youngest hopefuls who will attend the summer camp, with the 2022 SG Ball being an under 19s competition.
But Stait is familiar with around three-quarters of the summer camp squad thanks to his Combined High Schools representative experience and it appears he is one of five props in contention.
Though he has been doing some training with his father and brother, he is anticipating the fitness aspects of the camp will be a challenge.
"They've been sending me a few of the programs and booklets and they're not too kind, I'm not the fittest," he laughed.
But fitness will come and as both his Saints team-mates and those who have played against him know, Stait hits hard in defence and busts tackles in attack.
He also lacks nothing in terms of motivation, Stait keen to follow in the footsteps of fellow Saint and good friend Josh Belfanti who made his SG Ball debut for Penrith this year.
"It gives you a lot of motivation seeing guys around here make it. My best mate Josh Belfanti, we played at Pat's together and I played 18s last year with him, so two years I played up with those boys, and he was the one who really bought me in," Stait said.
"Watching him make it has been great, he's been on my back, we've been running together, and that's helped me out with motivation, I've worked off him a lot."
What happened to this guy

Maddragon99

Juniors
Just interested in how many fans make it out to lower grade games.
Following the rise of the young guns the past two years has been more interesting than the tepid first grade side in my opinion. It’s very exciting that we’ll see them all get a good crack at first grade this year. The future is now.

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade
Put on face book by his manager I guess ? Is he signed to a pathways contract by us ? Looks good and a forward as well which we will need in 2028 !

George Dragon

Juniors
Corey Ackers vid just posted in FG group

Corey has played 3 aesons of Matt for Dragons.
He is 17 and is signed until 2024.
He trained with the Flegg squad in the pre-season and is back training with them now reps has finished. He is the only player from from Matts to step up the rest are SG boys. Doyle Barrett-Hancock and Couchman twins are a few of them.

denis preston

First Grade
Corey has played 3 aesons of Matt for Dragons.
He is 17 and is signed until 2024.
He trained with the Flegg squad in the pre-season and is back training with them now reps has finished. He is the only player from from Matts to step up the rest are SG boys. Doyle Barrett-Hancock and Couchman twins are a few of them.
Thanks George, good to hear. Bit nervous on any of our future stars and don't want a repetition of the Stewart Bros & others we let go. I know we cant keep them all but certainly want us to have first pick.