What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Young props - Buchanan v Groat

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Groat is a much superior prospect in my opinion. Jack has faded off somewhat which is probably to be expected. I just hope Potter hasn't put a line through Groat, he's been back in vb cup for a while now having returned from injury. I saw him put in a fair effort at north sydney oval the other week in what was a very high standard reserve grade contest.

innsaneink

Referee
I hope we see Groat back in the top grade soon

Im thinking Potsy is looking more to next year now, he knows theres no urgency and possibly is giving Groat as much time in reggies to get his legs before returning to NRL

With other getting some exp.....next year we should have Galloway, Woods, Groat, Buchanan Tapau and Seumanagfai....and then gavet too

Front row stocks still pretty green but its looking better than it has....I'd love another with about 40/60 NRL games under his belt

Tiger05

First Grade
I'm not sure who will be better but I think our forwards and outside backs are looking a lot better basically due to our juniors.

Perth Tiger

Bench
You can add Sue to the front row rotation as well. I think he looks the goods as well, reminds me a bit of J Bromwich from the storm

gronkathon

First Grade
Ava progressed as a footballer 10 fold through his season of NSW Cup and Groat is doing the same. His injury and the second tier cap situation makes it highly unlikely he will slot in this year as guys like Akouala are in front of him because they have played

macnaz

Staff member
Akooula is a big talent , I really rate him. He has plenty of skill and hits the ball up hard and with a bit more bulk he could become a great 2nd rower in the NRL. Groat for me has been a bit how and cold, he looks a lot fitter and more mobile then ever but seems to have changed his running style a bit to sideways running and fending . When he takes it up hard and straight he looks good.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Ava progressed as a footballer 10 fold through his season of NSW Cup and Groat is doing the same. His injury and the second tier cap situation makes it highly unlikely he will slot in this year as guys like Akouala are in front of him because they have played

I thought that too however isn't groat in the top 25? Therefore it shouldn't matter.

gronkathon

First Grade
I wasn't sure. We had a top 30 odd this season from memory. So 5 or so full time guys miss out on that top 25 status

super_coach

First Grade
Their was talk a few weeks ago that Groat was not in our plans for 2014 and was heading over to join milky in the ESL.

I suppose it will depend on how many front rowers Potter wants for 2014. My guess you need four a week, two starters and two benchies, so you need at least six capable of playing NRL and Groat must be in that six.

dumpy

Juniors
Groat played very good in their win over the huge Auckland Warriors. He possess more speed, mobility and willingness to get involved. He was also voted man of the match. Unfortunately he was promoted far too early to first grade by Coach Sheens and youthful limitations were exposed.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Buchanan has handled NRL footy much better than Groat.

Groat posesses more versatility and mobility
Buchanan is tougher and more of a workhorse.

I think that heavy knock Groat copped in NRL softened him mentally.

Buchanan is the sort of player though that can potentially become our new Bryce Gibbs. A defensive workhorse.

Given how this side has leaked points over the years, a defensively stronger pack is a must have.

philgood

Juniors
Buchanan will turn out a great player imo. Came straight from NYC into 1st grade and has played every game.

Has a big motor and will only get better

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Buchanan misses a lot of tackles.
Only young and hopefully plenty of improvement in him.
Done OK so far in his first year.
He does, but it's really only a simple technique issue that a good defensive coach can rectify.

He's certainly got the ticker and wants to get his hands dirty, which is something Groat lacks in my opinion.

Buchanan will never be a superstar, but he's an honest toiler, the kind every forward pack needs. He's the kind of prop we've lacked since Gibbs left for the Sharkies.

Groat I don't rate as highly, at the moment I don't see him becoming more than a depth player. But as we've seen with Gibbs (with O'Meley) and Galloway (with Hoppa), sometimes a player's development gets halted after copping a bad knock/experience early in their career (like he copped from Te'o, and hasn't played first grade since).

Mario chalmers

Juniors
He does, but it's really only a simple technique issue that a good defensive coach can rectify.

He's certainly got the ticker and wants to get his hands dirty, which is something Groat lacks in my opinion.

Groat won man of the match in the reggies last week with 30 tackles and 20 hit ups.

I hope he subs in for Spence this week.

Buchanan was great last night IMO.

Slow start to season but really coming good. His best game by far v Melb.
Got a lot more confidence in his game I suggest.
Driving at the line instead of being dominated so easily earlier in season.
Making great metres.

BMM needs more minutes over Ava. BMM is hitting the line really well playing tight at prop but getting way limited minutes. Sheenius used him all wrong. A very good prop.

Tiger05

First Grade
BMM needs more minutes over Ava. BMM is hitting the line really well playing tight at prop but getting way limited minutes. Sheenius used him all wrong. A very good prop.

I like Ava but BMM is looking good at prop. Potter seems to be playing him there as well.

Sheenius just lost it at the end of his time here didn't he. Blair and BMM out wide sum it up for me. Move them in tight and they look like different players.

Last edited: