What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Young

Spike

First Grade
christopherjon said:
Its worth having him in the team just to hold the ball on the kicking tee in high winds.

At least if the kicker misses the ball and kicks him in the face, it won't make any difference...

roopy

Referee
Spike said:
At least if the kicker misses the ball and kicks him in the face, it won't make any difference...
That could be a disaster - Pato could hurt his foot.

Doctor

Bench
Here I am. Long before the switch to the LU forums, I was singing from the Michael Young songsheet on the original Knights forums. But, suffice to say, it was for everything that Young is now considered weak at. He had a good step (which has since disappeared), a quick dart (no longer there), could punch a hole through the line (can't break a tackle to save himself now) and all the makings of a David Peachey. At one stage he was considered the obvious replacement for Robbie O'Davis. His ill-health put an end to that.

It's been somewhat of a metamorphisis for Young as a result of his sickness. The competitive nature of contracts had me convinced he would struggle to get back to PL, let alone first grade. Since that sickness he has been in somewhat of a Dan Tolar predicament -- always scraping through for another one year deal it seems, proving just before contract time that he is good enough.

I talk about Young metamorphing into a new player, but I guess in stark contrast to a butterfly, Young has come out far less pretty than when he went in. He started as a Peachey-stunt-double who could almost play in a dinner suit. He even had the shoulder pads. A life-threatening illness, and the loss of 15kg later, Young is the caterpillar, not the butterfly. But he's a pretty tough sort of catepillar -- far more useful to us when we're well-known as the worst defensive team in the competition.

I can only pick out some of Roopy's insightful points from here:

roopy said:
Young - what a rollercoaster his career has been.... He started 2006 pre-season as a sickly looking kid with no condition on him at all. If he was a racehorse he would have been sent to the knackery..... To me he looks to be getting bigger and stronger by the game. He will tackle anything that moves and take on any role his coach gives him with gusto.

i swear he has not broken out of a tackle since 2004 - and i have been watching and waiting for it to happen.

I don't think he's scored a try since 1994, yet he still makes for a pretty handy player.

The references to Reegan Tanner are predictable. Throw Troy Fletcher, Scott Conley, Sean Rudder, Todd Lowrie and Jarrod O'Doherty into the ring too. They're all seemingly talentless players who fell into first grade by default. The difference is: Young hasn't made nearly as many defensive or attacking mistakes as these players. The only criticism you could level at Young is that he's boring. But he's no less effective. The reference to Fletcher is important here: Fletcher did one thing of use in his career, one thing only: the 40 metre break in the 1997 Grand Final that got us within 30 metres of the tryline that Darren Albert would cross minutes later. Regardless of where Michael Young's career takes him, and whether he lives up to the reviews he had four years ago, I know that should circumstances require it, Young will be that sort of player we'll want if we need someone to get stuck in and do some dirty work. He's keen, cool and seems to tackle forwards for breakfast. I've got a lot of time for the bloke.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
Tolar is a champion there is no way he is the Young class or predicanment. Tolar is our only prop that actually has a dig week in week out even against Broncos he was everywhere even put a few good shots on. I doubt Toles will be scrounging for one year contracts, isn't he signed to 09 now anyway?

Doctor

Bench
KniGhTs BaTTLeR said:
Tolar is a champion there is no way he is the Young class or predicanment. Tolar is our only prop that actually has a dig week in week out even against Broncos he was everywhere even put a few good shots on. I doubt Toles will be scrounging for one year contracts, isn't he signed to 09 now anyway?

I didn't say Young and Tolar were in the same class, or that Tolar was deserving of picking up one-year contracts. I said he used to.

Oswin said:
It's been somewhat of a metamorphisis for Young as a result of his sickness. The competitive nature of contracts had me convinced he would struggle to get back to PL, let alone first grade. Since that sickness he has been in somewhat of a Dan Tolar predicament -- always scraping through for another one year deal it seems, proving just before contract time that he is good enough.

What I am suggesting is that, at one time, Tolar's position had plateued (like Young). There was a feeling that others were more worthy of a first grade spot, and some here felt that Young and Tolar (and indeed others) would slip back into the Real NRL (like many players in our history).

If you look back at Tolar's history, there was a stage a few years ago when he was looking like he might struggle to keep his spot. Other players (Tilse, M.Kennedy, Snowden, Tanner, Lowrie, Jobson) were getting their opportunities, but he was stuck in PL. Some thought he had peaked, and certainly it seemed as if he might struggle for a suitable contract. I seem to recall that Tolar was below 100kg when he first played in the top grade. When he emerged again, this time with more bulk and better presence on the field, he turned in some excellent performances. He has since had at least one injury setback, but obviously did enough in that comeback to show the right people that he was worthy of another chance. Now, as you said, he's one of our best players and puts in a lot of effort.

Both he and Young have come out the other side in a better position than they went in.

The Genge

Juniors
Good young player - as is his brother who is playing God's game with the Hamilton Hawkes.

Also rate his sister. A smart girl with talent.

Doctor

Bench
Doctor said:
The references to Reegan Tanner are predictable. Throw Troy Fletcher, Scott Conley, Sean Rudder, Todd Lowrie and Jarrod O'Doherty into the ring too. They're all seemingly talentless players who fell into first grade by default. The difference is: Young hasn't made nearly as many defensive or attacking mistakes as these players. The only criticism you could level at Young is that he's boring. But he's no less effective. The reference to Fletcher is important here: Fletcher did one thing of use in his career, one thing only: the 40 metre break in the 1997 Grand Final that got us within 30 metres of the tryline that Darren Albert would cross minutes later. Regardless of where Michael Young's career takes him, and whether he lives up to the reviews he had four years ago, I know that should circumstances require it, Young will be that sort of player we'll want if we need someone to get stuck in and do some dirty work. He's keen, cool and seems to tackle forwards for breakfast. I've got a lot of time for the bloke.

At the risk of quoting myself, I've quoted myself. Purely, though, as a reference point for discussion. We've talked about Michael Young being like Reegan Tanner, Blake Mueller, Sean Rudder, Troy Fletcher, Scott Conley etc. Throw another half a dozen names in.

But I still don't think it's fair. Michael Young has, in just a couple of months, become something of a machine for our team. He's one of the more inexperienced in first grade, but plays like a 100-game veteran. Just below that mop of hair is a very good football brain, atop shoulders that no longer carry hefty pads. The bloke has become a defensive machine -- just loves to tackle the big boys and get in and get dirty. I don't care what you say about talent, and the whole "you can't win a comp with 17 Alan Tongues" mentality.

The Knights are the worst defensive team in the comp. Michael Young is but one answer to that. If some of the bigger blokes followed Mick's lead, we'd be in a lot better position in terms of for-and-against. I've got a lot of respect for one M.Young -- he is playing out of his skin, without ever being a threat in attack.

keeney

First Grade
See Oswin, as much as some may say you can't win a comp with 17 Alan Tongues, you can't win the comp nowadays without at least 1 in your backrow. All the quality sides have them, and we, until Youngy stepped into consideration, did not. His game this weekend was monstrous, and I for one am glad he has found his niche.

Now if only he could round his game out a little more, he'd make a very handy lock.

bluesbreaker

Bench
I'm positive that, if b. Smith tells Youngy what areas of his game he needs to improve (becoming more robust, if you will), within 1-2 off-seasons, he'll be the best at the club in them. I think he can make a real niche out of tackling and support play, Just like Alan Tongue does for the raiders.