What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Favourite Queensland Dragons

bottle

Coach
Rocket. I can understand other people's views but he was a hero that delivered two premierships at a time when I was young and easily influenced. The joy of two titles in three years outweighs the rest for me. Added to that he personally terrorised Parra in the replay including trying to twist Price's head off with his bare hands. He was simply a great player to boot.
I saw him down at the airport some time ago, well before we won last year, and approached him and shook his hand and thanked him for the memories. Bit silly for a 50 year old but it brought back the kid in me. He commented 'Mate that was a hundred years ago, you must've had some more joy since then'. I said something along the lines of 'Not much with the mob I follow'. Then 2010. Bliss.
Wally Fullerton-Smith, always honest. Coyne of course, all class on and off the field. Boyd has been a surprise for me, I didn't see what the point was when he joined us. Ahh Bennett, should never had doubted.
Edit: Tallis will always be considered filth

Last edited:

juanfarkall

Coach
Brothers captain that day in the BRL 87 GF Trevor Bailey played for us 88 - 90

Wally Fullerton - Smith was another Qlder from Redcliffe was a 6 yearer at Saints too

I thought Brothers prop Scott Carter had a couple years with Saints also

as much as i luvd Reddy, Coyne, Wally, Quinn, Tallis and Darius, Wayne Bartrim was always a fave Dragon of mine too

You mean Steve Carter who had one year.
There were a few boys from Brothers 87 Premiership team who made the journey, some stepped up whilst others "stepped out".
The 87 Premiers 17
1. Clinton Mohr
2. Joe Kilroy
3. Rob Grogan
4. Jeff Burns
5. Mark Coyne
6. Peter Gill
7. Greg Smith
8. Brett Le Man
9. Tony Rea
10. Gary Smith
11. Steve Carter
12. Trevor Bailey (Captain)
13. Jim Stafford
14. Gary Vernon
15. Shane McErlean
16. Vince O'Brien
17. Eric Kennedy

From memory Burns, McErlean and John McGraw trialled with Saints but took the beer option.

Rocket

Juniors
Ahh what a team. What a day in 1987. My old man kept tellling me how great Brothers were in the 1960s but I had to wait many long years before I saw them finally win a title (much like many young supporters of the Dragons felt last year).

Speaking to Coyne the day before the GF last year I mentioned that he played in the last rugby league team I supported that won a premiership.

And who could forget Smokin' Joe Kilroy? Wasn't called that because he was fast ...

ShaiGuY

First Grade
Coyne would have been right up there but since he has retired I have played against him a few times at Oztag and he is a spoilt brat on the field. Forever whingeing, cheap little shoulder charges. We ended up sledging him deluxe after that haha.

Favourite has to be Barto. Loved him as a player Wayne Bartrim. Bigger hips than Oprah but had speed to burn for a backrower and rarely took a backward step.

Heard similar that he was no angel off the field when he was playing either and was a bit disappointed in that the only article he wrote for the Dragons on their website after they left was to get votes for his NRMA re-election. Notwithstanding this he was a great player and great captain - although Graeme Bradley did a superb job when he was injured.

Stagger Lee

Bench
Coyne and Fullerton-Smith

I like Muzby call of Bob Lidner - for our Steeler brothers

And as for other people bagging off Tallis ..... I agree

Willow

Assistant Moderator
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Brennan, Mitch [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
1979_brennan_1.jpg
[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]St George, 1978-80, 51 games. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[SIZE=-1]35t, 2g (109pts)[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Winger. Centre.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[SIZE=-1]Qld rep (1981-83).[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[SIZE=-1]Trialled with Toronto Argonauts in North American Football.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[SIZE=-1]In 1977, while in contract negotiations with Brisbane Souths, Mitch trialled with Saints under the false name of 'Mickey Lane' - a pseudonym invented by coach Harry Bath who borrowed it from a British street name. Brennan was recognised and fined.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[SIZE=-1]Possessing an amazing turn of pace, Brennan was the club's top try scorer in 1979 with 16 tries.
Winner of the 'golden try' award (a mid-week cup award) in 1978 and 1980. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Played in 1979 Grand Final victory.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[SIZE=-1]more: 1978, 1979, team 1979[/SIZE][/FONT]

http://www.jubileeavenue.com.au/history/history_players_ab.php

BigNormProvan

Juniors
Rocket Reddy, going to Carlton Sth Primary on a Monday with a head full of stories after seeing the unit at work on Sunday arvo across the road. He was rabid in the '77 Replay.

Mark Coyne, man he was good.

Wally Fullerton-Smith, in a period when we were remarkably ordinary it was actually a pleasure to see a Saint playing for QLD.

Coyne - I just remember liking him as a kid. Good player who scored trys. I also remember being shitty when I found out that he played for QLD.

Uncle Benny - did the job but also has instilled an expected level of professionalism that I hope will be continued after he leaves. He also seems to appreciate the fans and is always happy to shake as many hands as possible.

Dell - hated him with gusto before he came over but he had me at "Dell-0".

Costo - meat axe. It was good to have him in my team even if for a short time.

Boyd - taken the longest to warm to him. Hard to deny his speed and skill and that try against the Bulldogs this year was One of the coolest trys I have seen in a while.

Maybe Bartrim at a stretch.

Gordon Fallis is (brain) dead to me.

Latest posts