What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your first game of RL?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
1st time i saw league was at a neighbours place, was Brisbane v Canberra, probably in 91 i guess

1st game i recall clearly watching was the NZ 24 OZ 8 test match in Melbourne in 1991, and the 91 GF is also clear in the mind

1st game attended was the 95 GF

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
First attended game was Round 1 in 1998 Canberra vs Brisbane at Bruce. From Memory the Raiders won 28-20. It was supposed to be Allan Langer's last season. Daley carved the Bronco's up all night, it was f**king freezing and it was great to see Brisbane get beat even though it wasn't the Tigers doing the beating.

1st time i saw league was at a neighbours place, was Brisbane v Canberra, probably in 91 i guess

1st game i recall clearly watching was the NZ 24 OZ 8 test match in Melbourne in 1991, and the 91 GF is also clear in the mind

1st game attended was the 95 GF

was going for manly cause they were ARL.

jim dymock scored on 7th tackle and off a knock on

rupertpupkin

Juniors
Australia versus Great Britain, Lang Park, 1966. First one that I can recall for the where, when and who, anyway.

EvolutionUber

Juniors
The night everyone dreams of.

I was a Cowboys fan they had finished 7 th and were going up against a 2nd placed and heavily backed Bulldogs team in the Cowboys first finals match.

macavity

Referee
Knights first ever game, a trial v manly. sat on dad's lap in the rickety old grandstand sneaking sips of his tooheys.

red and blue ever since.

TheBourbonBeast

Juniors
Brisbane v Norths at NSO 1988. Their first game in Sydney. We had come down to show our cattle at the Royal Easter Show. Great game. Great ground. I think we we're the only Broncos fans....good memories but, cause the broncs won!

Fatdog

Juniors
Ist game i can remember was late 80's early 90's Steelers vs Bulldogs at Illawarra Showground. It was raining when we got there and didn't stop raining. The field was flooded. But Mum and Dad couldn't justify leaving as they had just paid for two adults and four chldren to get in.
I was watching Boots n All a while ago and they showed highlights of this particular game. They showed footage of a bulldog player going over for a try up the southern end, There was that much water he was totaly submerged.

dannyboy

Juniors
The night everyone dreams of.

I was a Cowboys fan they had finished 7 th and were going up against a 2nd placed and heavily backed Bulldogs team in the Cowboys first finals match.

Was at that match...6 rows back right on the half way mark.
Cowboys spent the entire game getting away with being offside in defense but they really out muscled the dogs in the tackles.

It was a pretty good game in the end.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Easts vs Norths @ SFS in the mid-90's.

All I remember is Eats getting smacked & Jason Taylor kicking a penalty goal 50 metres out.

First I can remember was Balmain Tigers vs Penrith Panthers round 5 1998 at Leichhardt Oval. Balmain won 30-10. There were a few before this, but this is the first one I remember.

ozbash

Referee
sunday afternoon footy at Carlaw Park late 60's.

cant remember who was playing and didnt really care in those days, it was footy..

DragonPunk

Live Update Team
Staff member
My first was State Of Origin 1 in 2004, Shaun Timmins kicked the winning field goal and all the NSW supporters high fiving and hugging made me want to go to many more.

hwired

Juniors
Although I've been a RL fan most of my life I hadn't seen a live NRL game until this year...

Mad Parra supporter and decided to take my dad and see Parra vs Broncos at Suncorp...and what a game....I didn't even care that Parra had lost

*Paul*

Juniors
Manly v Balmain, Brookvale, 1976. The then record crowd. Remember nothing of it, except having to perch on my father's shoulders to see.

Last edited:

Apey

Staff member
I dunno, my Mum probably took me to a few Knights games when I was < 5, in the early 90's.

flamin

Juniors
German/Sri Lankan heritage so my family were all soccer and I never got into football until late and even then I only really got into football when I attended my first game in 2005 Dragons vs Melbourne @ WIN. Dragons got absolutely romped by 40+.

Ice777

Bench
Origin 2 at the G in 1994. A then record crowd and still the 2nd biggest i think. Still remember it well, great night.