What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your First Panthers Game

TheFrog

Coach
Zac Ole,,,,,
Around 1970 I watched our school side (St Marys) play Riverstone in a school final, and Zac Olejarnek ripped our side to shreds, coached by, I do believe, Lewis Jones. Zac must have been 15 or 16.

Last edited:

forby

Juniors
Around 1970 I watched our school side (St Marys) play Riverstone in a school final, and Zac Olejarnek ripped our side to shreds, coached by, I do believe, Lewis Jones. Zac must have been 15 or 16.
They did the same to our school Kingswood High. I think it was something like 108 -0!

Alintheeast

Juniors
The first Amco Cup final against Western Districts. Stood behind 2 blokes from Orange, I got a bit of stick. One bloke had a Gary Pethybridge haircut the other had a Kevin Hardwicke Mullet. They both had football socks that you could wear with thongs. I don’t remember to much about the match.
I seem to recall that the club announced the purchase of the massive block of land between Mulgoa Road and the river where the club and other attractions is now the week before the final. The district was excited about making the final as the previous year was the worst penrith had had since joining the comp.

The first Amco Cup final against Western Districts. Stood behind 2 blokes from Orange, I got a bit of stick. One bloke had a Gary Pethybridge haircut the other had a Kevin Hardwicke Mullet. They both had football socks that you could wear with thongs. I don’t remember to much about the match.
I seem to recall that the club announced the purchase of the massive block of land between Mulgoa Road and the river where the club and other attractions is now the week before the final. The district was excited about making the final as the previous year was the worst penrith had had since joining the comp.

I loved the Amco Cup/KB Cup/National Panasonic Cup/Pre-Season Cup era.

Didn’t we make 3 or 4 finals but lost every one?

In the AMCO CUP: We lost to Western Division in 1974...6-2 In 1987 we lost to the Tigers 14-12.

In 1968, Penrith won the pre-season Cup beating Newtown 28-12.

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/competitions/preseason-cup-1968/summary.html

Oh that’s right, I remember the old “Bound for Glory” video documentary that was released just after Penrith’s ‘91 GF win where the late Merv Cartwright was being interviewed and he spoke about how 1968 was quite a good year in that we won the pre-season cup and we narrowly missed out on making the finals.

I think we also lost the pre-season challenge cup final in ‘91 to the Broncos as well

Last edited:
Speaking of “Bound for Glory”, I still have my VHS :vhs: copy of this.

If there’s any experts out there who know how to convert VHS to MP4/WMV/YouTube compatible, I’m more than happy to lend it out, so those who’ve never seen it can enjoy it

Fangs

Coach

If there’s any experts out there who know how to convert VHS to MP4/WMV/YouTube compatible, I’m more than happy to lend it out, so those who’ve never seen it can enjoy it

Thanks for mentioning this.

I have a VHS of it somewhere as well. I believe I may have it transferred to DVD, I'll let you know.

Might try and get it on Youtube.

roofromoz

First Grade

I remember renting it from the local video shop when I first became a fan in the early 90s but have not seen it since. Would love to see it again. I do have the book of the same name, was it a companion to the video?

If I can see that again and get one of those white with diagonal stripes jerseys from the mid 90s it would genuinely be one of those life complete moments... haha...

TheFrog

Coach
I loved the Amco Cup/KB Cup/National Panasonic Cup/Pre-Season Cup era.

Didn’t we make 3 or 4 finals but lost every one?
At least 4 that I know of. The '74 Amco Cup vs Western Div, '87 vs Balmain, and consecutive years in the pre-season, '90 and '91 I think, beaten by Raiders and Broncos.

Of course we did win the 1968 Wills Pre Season. I was at the final at the Sports Ground, pretty sure our captain-coach Bob Boland got sent off.

roofromoz

First Grade
Pre season finals - 1968 (defeated Newtown), 1990 (lost to Canberra) and 1991 (lost to Brisbane)

Mid week finals - 1974 (lost to western Districts) and 1987 (lost to Balmain)

GongPanther

Referee
Oh that’s right, I remember the old “Bound for Glory” video documentary that was released just after Penrith’s ‘91 GF win where the late Merv Cartwright was being interviewed and he spoke about how 1968 was quite a good year in that we won the pre-season cup and we narrowly missed out on making the finals.

I think we also lost the pre-season challenge cup final in ‘91 to the Broncos as well
Missed that game due to work I think on a Friday afternoon/evening.

pantherz9103

First Grade
1991 v Souths in Round 3. It was the 2nd ever home game in the licorice all sorts strip. We won 36-22 with Brandy, Fittler and MG starring and of course they all played instrumental roles in our premiership win that year.

Latest posts