What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your greatest Parramatta 17

Stagger eel

Staff member
Ron Jeremy said:
80 minutes under the 5 metre rule isn't worth a pinch of sh*t compared to today eela;-)

Regardless, who has more ability? MM was no different then a Peter McPhail, could make alot of tackles but wouldn't know what attack is.

you're f**ken kidding aren't you???? :lol: :lol:

how many 80 minute games has PJ played in the past????..

no point argueing you know absiolutely nothing about the game in the 80's, just looking at your side confirms it.

you're a comparing apples to oranges becuase both played in different era's which were played in different conditions and different rules, but then again you'd think Bradman was overated compared to todays batsman.

bartman

Immortal
Hookers used to have to actually hook back in the day as well, when scrums were a contest for possession, not just a rest for everyone concerned.

Different eras and styles of play, but some of the hookers of old had it over a lot of the guys we see playing what passes for hooker these days.

Stagger eel

Staff member
bartman said:
Hookers used to have to actually hook back in the day as well, when scrums were a contest for possession, not just a rest for everyone concerned.

Different eras and styles of play, but some of the hookers of old had it over a lot of the guys we see playing what passes for hooker these days.

exactly, comparing the modern day hooker to a hooker from pre 1990's is like comparing centre combinations in different era's it just doesn't work.

forward pass

Coach
Mine

Ken Thornett (Never saw him play - but heard enough to know he deserves to be there)
Eric Grothe Snr
Steve Ella
Mick Cronin
Jarryd Hayne

Brett Kenny
Peter Sterling

Ray Price
Nathan Hindmarsh
Peter Wynn
Dean Pay
Michael Mosely
Bob O'Reilly

Reserves
Timana Tahu
Luke Burt
Jason Smith
Nathan Cayless

I couldn't put Steve Edge in there. He was a very average player - good captain - average player !

Ron Jeremy

Coach
eelavation said:
you're f**ken kidding aren't you???? :lol: :lol:

how many 80 minute games has PJ played in the past????..

no point argueing you know absiolutely nothing about the game in the 80's, just looking at your side confirms it.

you're a comparing apples to oranges becuase both played in different era's which were played in different conditions and different rules, but then again you'd think Bradman was overated compared to todays batsman.

I know nothing about the game in the 80's? sorry David Middleton, you're right, no one dare questions your selections because they have to be right, and no one knows as much about the 80's as you, so i'm really really sorry, can you please forgive me for thinking that we have a hooker that played SOO yet getting overlooked by an obslete hooker?

Did it occur to you that my father took me to many games as a kid? oh sorry not as much as you right?

Unf**king believable

Yeah ok, again you are comparing the 5 metre rule to the 10 metre rule, no comparison! the 10 metre rule is alot harder, PJ has played Origin, did MM? did he not play resevre grade behind Mark Bugden, his main rival? was he not subsequently released by Parra?

Nah Mosely was just as good as Steve Walters if the truth was told, different era's:lol:

Michael was a typical 80's hooker, made a few tackles and thats about it, like Mak Bugden, Royce Simmons etc, only ran very occasionally, and he was slow in comparison to todays hookers. Benny came along and changed the role of hooker.

And my side is from what i've seen ( apart from Beetson who i was told had a signifnificant influence on our club)not just named anyone as i didn't see them.

Which selections bother you eela? Tahu? a duel international, argurably the greatest athlete we've ever had at our club? or is it Fui Fui? because hey lets face it John Fearnley and Greg Drake were better players? or was it beetson?

Nah back in the good old days they were all better then what we have now hey, they could tackle blokes with there penis:roll:

But hey i lack knowledge of the game, what the f**k would i know. Hell i'll be told in the minute that Mick Delroy and Tony Chalmers were the greatest wingers we've had and Jeff Pearl and Brian Jackson were the greatest centres we had.

And Bradman played predominately against one country.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
lol scrum against the feed, racking at the ball hahaha is that what defines a hooker as great? or what about the ball playing/dummy half runing of a player like Steve Walters.

So i guess Cameron Smith is crap then, i mean? he never racked at the ball in the scrum, right?

I'll let you have a think about that.

PJ=SOO, more first grade games, more tries for us
Moseley=a guy that could tackle under the 5 metre rule

No comparison

Avenger

Immortal
Moseley was at best an average first grader. PJ has more skill in his ear lobe then Moseley has in his whole body.

carson

Juniors
Ron Jeremy said:
lol scrum against the feed, racking at the ball hahaha is that what defines a hooker as great? or what about the ball playing/dummy half runing of a player like Steve Walters.

So i guess Cameron Smith is crap then, i mean? he never racked at the ball in the scrum, right?

I'll let you have a think about that.

PJ=SOO, more first grade games, more tries for us
Moseley=a guy that could tackle under the 5 metre rule

No comparison

If cameron smith was playing hooker in any other era of league besides the current one and couldn't rake the ball then yes he would be a crap hooker.

Horses for courses, your assuming this ficticious team is going to run out and play a game of footy under the current rules.

p.s. I didn't rate Mosely as great either.

Avenger

Immortal
Benny Elias was the best hooker that I have seen that possessed all the attributes discussed above.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Avenger said:
Moseley was at best an average first grader. PJ has more skill in his ear lobe then Moseley has in his whole body.

:clap: :clap: :clap: exactly!

Hookers like MM were weined out of our game close to 20 years ago. More emphasis was required on that position so more skillful hookers ( or halves) were slotted into that position.

It really is ridiculous to suggest that MM was better then PJ.

For people who didn't see MM play, i suggest go and watch some old tapes and you'll see for yourself the low skill levels of hookers in the 80's compared to today. Thank god Benny came along and changed it.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
carson said:
If cameron smith was playing hooker in any other era of league besides the current one and couldn't rake the ball then yes he would be a crap hooker.

Horses for courses, your assuming this ficticious team is going to run out and play a game of footy under the current rules.

p.s. I didn't rate Mosely as great either.

Totally disagree with your first point, he would be a sensation and totally unique.

We both saw them play, and it was evident who had more skill, forget about racking at the ball you still needed more to that position, hence why Benny was the best in that era.

Atleast we agree on the final point

carson

Juniors
Ron Jeremy said:
Totally disagree with your first point, he would be a sensation and totally unique.

We both saw them play, and it was evident who had more skill, forget about racking at the ball you still needed more to that position, hence why Benny was the best in that era.

Atleast we agree on the final point

He would be a sensation and totally unique, but no coach would play him at hooker if he couldn't win a scrum. He would probably have played in the halves or at lock.

Back when scrum rules were enforced if your hooker couldn't win the ball then you wouldn't get any possession and you would lose the game. This is why in the early eighties Manly bought pretty much every hooker in the game and then didn't play them.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Ron Jeremy said:
I know nothing about the game in the 80's? sorry David Middleton, you're right, no one dare questions your selections because they have to be right, and no one knows as much about the 80's as you, so i'm really really sorry, can you please forgive me for thinking that we have a hooker that played SOO yet getting overlooked by an obslete hooker?

Did it occur to you that my father took me to many games as a kid? oh sorry not as much as you right?

Unf**king believable

Yeah ok, again you are comparing the 5 metre rule to the 10 metre rule, no comparison! the 10 metre rule is alot harder, PJ has played Origin, did MM? did he not play resevre grade behind Mark Bugden, his main rival? was he not subsequently released by Parra?

Nah Mosely was just as good as Steve Walters if the truth was told, different era's:lol:

Michael was a typical 80's hooker, made a few tackles and thats about it, like Mak Bugden, Royce Simmons etc, only ran very occasionally, and he was slow in comparison to todays hookers. Benny came along and changed the role of hooker.

And my side is from what i've seen ( apart from Beetson who i was told had a signifnificant influence on our club)not just named anyone as i didn't see them.

Which selections bother you eela? Tahu? a duel international, argurably the greatest athlete we've ever had at our club? or is it Fui Fui? because hey lets face it John Fearnley and Greg Drake were better players? or was it beetson?

Nah back in the good old days they were all better then what we have now hey, they could tackle blokes with there penis:roll:

But hey i lack knowledge of the game, what the f**k would i know. Hell i'll be told in the minute that Mick Delroy and Tony Chalmers were the greatest wingers we've had and Jeff Pearl and Brian Jackson were the greatest centres we had.

And Bradman played predominately against one country.

typical response from you Ronny...again completely missed the point.

who the hell has saying that Mosely overall is a better hooker?? both players were great in their own eras, the difference is you're the one moronic enough to diss a bloke who with Paul Taylor were the unsung heroes of the 86 season and virtually tackled their way to winning us a premiership while our backline did what they normally did.

that's right...according to you defence means jack doesn't it..it's all about tries isn't it you must not have appreciated our gf win 86 or you obviously don't remember it.

seeing you haven't seen Beetson play here are the stats..

Beetson: 16 games 1 try 79-80

compared to

O'Reilly 216 games 29tries. 67-75 80-82

but hey what would I know?????

Ron Jeremy

Coach
eelavation said:
typical response from you Ronny...again completely missed the point.

who the hell has saying that Mosely overall is a better hooker?? both players were great in their own eras, the difference is you're the one moronic enough to diss a bloke who with Paul Taylor were the unsung heroes of the 86 season and virtually tackled their way to winning us a premiership while our backline did what they normally did.

that's right...according to you defence means jack doesn't it..it's all about tries isn't it you must not have appreciated our gf win 86 or you obviously don't remember it.

seeing you haven't seen Beetson play here are the stats..

Beetson: 16 games 1 try 79-80

compared to

O'Reilly 216 games 29tries. 67-75 80-82

but hey what would I know?????

Moseley wasn't in even great in that era!:lol: he played pretty much a couple of years of consistent football!

You didn't mention Mark Laurie? what his defense wasn't worth a pinch of sh*t? what makes you think that the others didn't contribute ( apart from Taylor) as much defensively then MM?

And i do know alot about 86, have many games on tape still and even have the GF on video with the tune to dreams by Van Haeln.

As i stated in my post Beetsons influence on the Parra side was well documented. Beetson was regared as the best ball playing forward ever.

But hey you know everything

carson

Juniors
Ron Jeremy said:
Moseley wasn't in even great in that era!:lol: he played pretty much a couple of years of consistent football!

You didn't mention Mark Laurie? what his defense wasn't worth a pinch of sh*t? what makes you think that the others didn't contribute ( apart from Taylor) as much defensively then MM?

And i do know alot about 86, have many games on tape still and even have the GF on video with the tune to dreams by Van Haeln.

As i stated in my post Beetsons influence on the Parra side was well documented. Beetson was regared as the best ball playing forward ever.

In his prime Beetson was one of the best ball playing forwards ever, however, when he came to the eels he was pretty long in the tooth. Most of his time with us was spent in reserve grade, if he had an influence with us it was in helping the kids coming through. I don't recall many stand out performances in those 16 games in first grade.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Ron Jeremy said:

they all contributed including Mosely who was MOM at the gf, which isn't a bad achievement for a player who's sh*t in your eyes, I don't have a problem with you not rating him, but I have a problem with you dissing him as being ordinary..that's all

I know alot, not everything but enough to realise that i have healthy respect for past players who have contributed a great deal to this club, especially those who assisted in getting us to glory.

I can't help being passionate about it...

just for the record.

M. Mosely 84-89 80 games for 6 tries. 1987 Jack Boyle tackler of the year.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Beetson did play a few very good games but as you said Carsen he was at the end of illustrious career, he struggled with injuries and form and actually played his last for the club in reserve grade in the 1980 grand final.