What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your greatest Parramatta 17

Ron Jeremy

Coach
eelavation said:
they all contributed including Mosely who was MOM at the gf, which isn't a bad achievement for a player who's sh*t in your eyes, I don't have a problem with you not rating him, but I have a problem with you dissing him as being ordinary..that's all

I know alot, not everything but enough to realise that i have healthy respect for past players who have contributed a great deal to this club, especially those who assisted in getting us to glory.

I can't help being passionate about it...

just for the record.

M. Mosely 84-89 80 games for 6 tries. 1987 Jack Boyle tackler of the year.

eela, i admire defensive players, Mark Laurie i'd admired same as Paul Taylor....hell even Steve Sharp, but in my opinion he was just an average hooker in an era of average hookers, thats all.

Disagree with me all you want, fine, but when you start stating people have know knowledge on a subject that's below the belt. My knowledge is worth more then a pinch of sh*t regardless if my main expertise is 90's onwards. I was fortunate to have gone to my first ever RL game in 87 ( against the Roosters which we lost) hell i was even there when Manly thumped us 64-12 in 88 and we led 12-6, seeing Lyons round us around and crnkovich had know idea that day on the wing, i was 9 and i remember that. Or what about in 89 round 19 when we played the Tigers at Parra stadium and we led 10-0 without Sterlo with Bell at half? yet a forward pass to Bruce Mcguire pretty much won them the game 22-18, rd 4 was a good result though with Sterlo at his best (18-16 at leichardt).

PJ is simply at better player regardless of era. He has more skill.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
eelavation said:
Beetson did play a few very good games but as you said Carsen he was at the end of illustrious career, he struggled with injuries and form and actually played his last for the club in reserve grade in the 1980 grand final.

Actually played reserve grade with Kenny and set him up with many tries which helped promote him to first grade as a centre.
His influence on the Parra club should not be underestimated, just like J Smiths.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Ron Jeremy said:
Actually played reserve grade with Kenny and set him up with many tries which helped promote him to first grade as a centre.
His influence on the Parra club should not be underestimated, just like J Smiths.

Mate, the same could be said for Gary Larsen, Jason Taylor and Paul Dunn...if that'as what you based your reasons for inclding Beetson than you should probably include those in your team.

Kenny would of been a great player any way,

Beetson's influence great as it was is no different to million other players who came and went in the club.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Ron Jeremy said:
eela, i admire defensive players, Mark Laurie i'd admired same as Paul Taylor....hell even Steve Sharp, but in my opinion he was just an average hooker in an era of average hookers, thats all.

Disagree with me all you want, fine, but when you start stating people have know knowledge on a subject that's below the belt. My knowledge is worth more then a pinch of sh*t regardless if my main expertise is 90's onwards. I was fortunate to have gone to my first ever RL game in 87 ( against the Roosters which we lost) hell i was even there when Manly thumped us 64-12 in 88 and we led 12-6, seeing Lyons round us around and crnkovich had know idea that day on the wing, i was 9 and i remember that. Or what about in 89 round 19 when we played the Tigers at Parra stadium and we led 10-0 without Sterlo with Bell at half? yet a forward pass to Bruce Mcguire pretty much won them the game 22-18, rd 4 was a good result though with Sterlo at his best (18-16 at leichardt).

PJ is simply at better player regardless of era. He has more skill.

Maybe...but he hasn't achieved the ultimate prize. I don't like saying this guys better than that guy but Mosely in that era was perfect rakeman.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
eelavation said:
Mate, the same could be said for Gary Larsen, Jason Taylor and Paul Dunn...if that'as what you based your reasons for inclding Beetson than you should probably include those in your team.

Kenny would of been a great player any way,

Beetson's influence great as it was is no different to million other players who came and went in the club.

Name the odd one out

Dunn, Larson, Taylor....Beetson:lol:

Isn't beetson an immortal of league?

Ron Jeremy

Coach
eelavation said:
Maybe...but he hasn't achieved the ultimate prize. I don't like saying this guys better than that guy but Mosely in that era was perfect rakeman.

So what your saying is Steve Rogers, Ben Elias, Wally Lewis weren't that good becausae they never won that 'ultimate prize'?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Ron Jeremy said:
So what your saying is Steve Rogers, Ben Elias, Wally Lewis weren't that good becausae they never won that 'ultimate prize'?

when did they come into the equation??...I'm not that silly, despite the fact you think I'm a f**ken mong.

and have i put Mosely on the same pedestal as the gentlemen you've just named??

Ron Jeremy

Coach
eelavation said:
when did they come into the equation??...I'm not that silly, despite the fact you think I'm a f**ken mong.

and have i put Mosely on the same pedestal as the gentlemen you've just named??

I dont think your a mong:lol: you think im a mong:lol:

Stagger eel

Staff member
Ron Jeremy said:
Name the odd one out

Dunn, Larson, Taylor....Beetson:lol:

Isn't beetson an immortal of league?

Beetson was not an immortal based on his 2 years and 16 games at parra..

In all due respect to the guy who's an absolute legend, he was given that honour for his years at the Roosters and Balmain where he represented at the highest level.

He wasn't even nominated in our Hall of fame a few years back that honour went to O'Reilly, Hilditch, Pay and Hambly.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
eelavation said:
Beetson was not an immortal based on his 2 years and 16 games at parra..

In all due respect to the guy who's an absolute legend, he was given that honour for his years at the Roosters and Balmain where he represented at the highest level.

He wasn't even nominated in our Hall of fame a few years back that honour went to O'Reilly, Hilditch, Pay and Hambly.

well from what many Parra players and coaches at the time regardless of his first grade appearences he was seen as a significant influence on the side, no coincidence that they finally won shortly after.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Ron Jeremy said:
well from what many Parra players and coaches at the time regardless of his first grade appearences he was seen as a significant influence on the side, no coincidence that they finally won shortly after.

Beetson was influence to the young blokes at the club sure, but so was Price, Cronin, Edge, O'Reilly, Massey, Gibson, Peard, Baker, Stevens...the list is endless.

bartman

Immortal
Avenger said:
Benny Elias was the best hooker that I have seen that possessed all the attributes discussed above.
And lost five scrums against the feed to us with Steve Sharp playing as hooker, which made Benny look like a fool and basically allowed us to win that game (can't remember the year I'm sorry, but late 80s). A fantastic underdog victory against one of the best packs of the day.

Having said that Elias had a great range of skills as a hooker and was the best of his era. But in picking our team acorss all of these era's with their different styles of play, PJ's skills alone in my opinion don't get him over the contribution made by guys like Moseley and Edge - lesser skilled individuals, but a better fit to the guys around them in a composite team like this.

PJ would be competing for a halves or bench spot for mine, and unfortunately for the guy he wouldn't get picked above Sterlo, Kenny or (again in my opinion) Taylor as the utility in 14. I'm a PJ fan and wish that he'd stayed and prefer his impact/contribution to today's side better than Riddell's, but across the eras including the 80s it's a shame but for me he misses out.

Bigfella

Coach
My problem with picking PJ based on his superior skill is that he really never established a first grade starting position with the Eels.

If you were going to point to skill, try scoring , dummy half play and creativity, I would argue that the best hooker (dummy half) we have ever had was Brad Drew - bsed on 2001 / 2002 form.

To be honest, if you were picking a side out of all our greats to play in the 2008 comp, probably Paul Taylor or Steve Ella would end up playing hooker!

carson

Juniors
Bigfella said:
My problem with picking PJ based on his superior skill is that he really never established a first grade starting position with the Eels.

If you were going to point to skill, try scoring , dummy half play and creativity, I would argue that the best hooker (dummy half) we have ever had was Brad Drew - bsed on 2001 / 2002 form.

To be honest, if you were picking a side out of all our greats to play in the 2008 comp, probably Paul Taylor or Steve Ella would end up playing hooker!

I would probably have given Tony Melrose a shot at being a modern day hooker as well. He would be a handy player to have in the team somewhere.

ParraAds

Juniors
Too young to know or have seen a lot of those players mentioned....here's a team from early 90's til now...

1. Hodgson
2. Hayne
3. Lyon
4. Tahu
5. Grothe
6. Kenny
7. Sterling
8. Cayless
9. Drew
10. Vella
11. N Hindmarsh
12. Jason Smith
13. Dymock

14. Pay
15. Schifcofske
16. Ryan
17. McCracken

Bigfella

Coach
Great side Parra Ads.

I would squeeze Inu in for Cracker though.

Maybe Moi Moi on the bench for Clinton too.

junior009

Juniors
This is a cracking topic....my team is what I've seen from 1980 onwards.

1 - P. Taylor
2 - T Tahu
3 - M Cronin
4 - S. Ella
5 - E Grothe
6 - B Kenny
7 - P Sterling
8 - D Pay
9 - A Raper
10 N Cayless
11 - N Hindmarsh
12 - J Smith
13 - R Price
14 - PJ Marsh
15 - J Dymock
16 - G Bugden
17 - J Muggleton

Stagger eel

Staff member
good team Junior, although I personally wouldn't have Rapes in front of Edgey, Mose, Drewy , PJ and PIG..

but that's just me.

junior009

Juniors
Eela, I absolutely know what you are saying. I figured he would be my controversial pick but I just loved the guy. My mates and I loved the "look one way, run the other: play he ran from dummy half that was ridiculously obvious but so effective. I also didn't really see enough of Steve Edge to pick him, he is probably our best but from what I've seen I'd prefer Raper.
Brad Drew was a gun, but to be honest I think his ordinary performances after he left us influenced me...he was super for us though.
Mosely was at the time a favourite of mine but I don't rate him with the rest of them

Stagger eel

Staff member
junior009 said:
Eela, I absolutely know what you are saying. I figured he would be my controversial pick but I just loved the guy. My mates and I loved the "look one way, run the other: play he ran from dummy half that was ridiculously obvious but so effective. I also didn't really see enough of Steve Edge to pick him, he is probably our best but from what I've seen I'd prefer Raper.
Brad Drew was a gun, but to be honest I think his ordinary performances after he left us influenced me...he was super for us though.
Mosely was at the time a favourite of mine but I don't rate him with the rest of them

I thought Rapes had some good moment but probably didn't do enough to earn his money which is why Smithy tried to offload him at the end of 07 but no one would take him. but he was defintely clever out of dummy half.

Edgey was a fine leader of men and for that era was an above average hooker the same with mose who had a big 86 and won the Jack Boyle tackling award in 87.

Brad Drew was absolutely brilliant in 01, he did things that I rarely saw a hooker do and had an outstading chip and chase.