What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your NRL controversial take

Colk

First Grade
The player transfer system and salary cap are a joke. I can’t see the Cowboys, Raiders, Knights or Titans winning a competition with the current system in place.

Wb1234

Immortal
Thanks you reminded me of another one.

I have minimal interest in internationals besides it being more rugby league. I support them because I understand their importance for growing the sport, but I'm not invested in them in any way.
Watching the Roos I feel like it’s charity

watching Samoa v Tonga or Tonga vs nz is interesting

Canard

Immortal
Thanks you reminded me of another one.

I have minimal interest in internationals besides it being more rugby league. I support them because I understand their importance for growing the sport, but I'm not invested in them in any way.
Isn't this what about 90% of fans believe also? (Much to my disappointment)

All media personalities and commentators should have to pass a refereeing test. Nothing worse than hearing back in my day nonsense commentary from someone bagging a correct decision. They should also be required to learn the pronunciation of all players (which is not a big ask at all).

Munky

Coach
Mid field kicking game is as important as long kicking and short kicking.

By this I mean kicks between the forty metre lines which aren't intended to be directly contested by an attacking player.

The ability to land the ball five metres in from touch and five metres from the try line can set up the next ten minutes of play for the kicking team.

An isolated winger can easily result in the kick return set only making it to the thirty. Alternatively a mid field floating bomb or similar can cause issues for wingers with catching issues.

Ben Hunt and Mitchell Moses both seem to have very ordinary mid field kicking games which consist of a basic easily caught bomb.

Moses in particular gave away the 2022 GF by kicking a nothing bomb direct to Edwards in the seventeenth minute. His team were always odds on to lose but he kicked away the game then and there.

Reflector

Bench
Origin has reached its' peak in terms of exposure and public interest and is based on a version of the RL landscape that no longer exists - for a number of reasons. To ensure it survives and thrives into the future, the concept needs to expand.

Too long to go into more detail here, but I am going to open a thread on this topic when I have some spare time. Hopefully this week...

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
No knocks ons - as many as you like (actually encouraged)
Forward passes are OK
Goalkickers can have one point if they miss the conversion, so we don't upset them.
This should be a rule that applies to the Storm and Perth. 1 point for missing a goal but the trade off is they have to fist each other instead of passing the ball

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Origin has reached its' peak in terms of exposure and public interest and is based on a version of the RL landscape that no longer exists - for a number of reasons. To ensure it survives and thrives into the future, the concept needs to expand.

Too long to go into more detail here, but I am going to open a thread on this topic when I have some spare time. Hopefully this week...
Origin has definitely peaked as a concept and the game will outgrow it over the next two decades. We've got tones of Kiwis in the NRL now, a few Englishmen, PNG, Fiji and we are about to start drip feeding Victorians into the NRL. All of whom are ineligible for Origin.

Luckily the NZ team is stronger than ever and a three test series mid season v the Kangaroos will be ready to step in and replace origin once it goes and will be just as fierce and competitive

Frailty

First Grade
Rugby League fans are the least knowledgeable about the rules of their sport than any other thanks in part to the changing interpretations or persistent annual rule changes, but mostly because of a lazy field of Rugby League media that refuses to learn and communicate it in broadcasts.

As a results, fans consistently blame referees for the results of games when they have minimal impact on the actual final results of games/season.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Origin has definitely peaked as a concept and the game will outgrow it over the next two decades. We've got tones of Kiwis in the NRL now, a few Englishmen, PNG, Fiji and we are about to start drip feeding Victorians into the NRL. All of whom are ineligible for Origin.
This may be all true but the solution proposed - allow anyone to play Origin - is completely wrong.

I'm happy for the International game to rise and overtake Origin. But Origin can still be kept 'pure' in this landscape.