What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Preferred Team For Round 1.

Sugar

Bench
NGR said:
can they modify my sig?

i think i have gone through it twice now and something new keeps popping up... :?
Another one has appeared.
Mods do not have access so i suggest you PM or email Willow and tell him what has occured

Sonic Star

Juniors
1 Merritt
2 Talanoa
3 Vagana
4 Gordon
5 Huihahau
6 Rogers
7 Wing
8 Manuokafoa
9 Luke
10 Asotasi
11 Kidwell
12 Stuart
13 Sutton

14 Greenfield
15 Lowe
16 Widders
17 Paea

Huihaha is gun... i cant wait to see him play, is an apparent in-between of tuiaki and folau, strength and finishing skills respectively

Sonic Star

Juniors
Our backline is stronger than the 2007 season.
We still have Taminkia and Simpson as back ups who was both leading try scorers in the QLD cup not to mention even Hegarty.
Our Problem is who will get the Fullback Spot, Merritt and Talonoa will be fighting it out.
Jamie Ingram is also a gun.

Gee_Up

Juniors
I don't rate anyone that hasn't played first grade. These kids may be "guns" in the lower grades but so were many others.

Proven first graders will be chosen for the first game and only injury will see the other kids in first grade and that means the only changes to our side will be the omission of Yak and Williams and the additions of Kidwell and Wing.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Luke on the bench as an impact player and our halves be Smith and Rogers.

Sonic Star

Juniors
Gee_Up said:
I don't rate anyone that hasn't played first grade. These kids may be "guns" in the lower grades but so were many others.

Proven first graders will be chosen for the first game and only injury will see the other kids in first grade and that means the only changes to our side will be the omission of Yak and Williams and the additions of Kidwell and Wing.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Luke on the bench as an impact player and our halves be Smith and Rogers.

I only rate players who i have seen play. I don't believe in hype of players if i havn't seen them. I'm normally a good judge of picking who will be good or not.
I spotted Issac Luke early and new he would be a gun.
Ive seen young Huihahau play and he impressed me more than any of them, that including paea, Pettybourne and Talonoa.

NGR

Juniors
Sugar said:
Another one has appeared.
Mods do not have access so i suggest you PM or email Willow and tell him what has occured
f**k it... i will just have no sig...

rabbit4ever

Juniors
Gee_Up said:

It is always difficult to know if a guy who shows potential in lower grades or lesser competitions has the goods to step up to the elite level of the NRL but obviously our talents scouts have identified these kids as being part the way there. The next step is to give them the opportunity to prove themselves if and when the time comes.

I agree that proven first graders will probably be chosen for the first game, barring injury, but there is also the possibility that our astute coaching staff may identify someone special throughout pre season training or trial games who has earnt the opportunity to have first crack at the top spot..

Remember that every player in this elite competition had to make their debut, whether it be through injuries, coaches gut feeling or the player himself giving the coach no choice through his attitude and commitment.

No matter what the first team may be, gee i'm looking forward to it.

Gee_Up

Juniors
I pick the side for round one only which means I didn't include any player I've not seen play.

With the Roosters having a massive pack we need to beat their tired forwards around the edges like O'Meley and Mason. With fewer interchanges these guys will need to hang out in the middle a little longer than they are capable of so we need to exploit it.

I say go small in the 6,7 and 9 with pace!

Dave Q

Coach
On the last occasion the sides met, the Roosters game-plan was to create as much havoc and disorder as possible so as to disrupt the normal course of the game.

Freddie knew that his limp-wristed 2007 side had little chance against us in a fair contest.

In my view, the Roosters 2008 side, littered with fallen and greedy ex- Bulldogs, it looks on paper to be a far stronger squad with many more options available.

That being the case, Freddy might want to chance his arm by coaching them to play football.

It will take 30 minutes or so, but I expect that they will start to struggle against a more disciplined and co-hesive Souths side.

We will wear down their show pony giants and then at some stage during the match, Taylor will send out the command to unleash the hell. Then our giant and speedy backs will cut through them like they were made of crepe paper.

ballfreek

Juniors
Hey everyone ... longtime supporter, first time poster :p

I'm a little late on this thread, but I still wanted chuck in my 2 cents, as i'm pumped for the season to kick-off! 10 weeks to go ... "I feel like Chicken tonight, like Chicken tonight! :p"

My preferred team is as follows (pretty much the same as Rocky Rabbit's)

1. Nathan Merritt
2. Fetuli Talanoa
3. Yileen Gordon
4. Nigel Vagana
5. Shannon Hegarty (I've heard alot about this Sam Huihahau, but yet to see him play and I don't know if JT would be willing to give him a go first up ... rookies make easy targets)
6. Ben Rogers (In my opinion was best option at 5/8 and played his best footy in 07)
7. Craig Wing (will get first chance to make the 7 his, with Jez waiting should he not be up to scratch)

8. Michael Greenfield (Geddes has had enough of a chance to prove himself as a starter(as much as i like the guy). Greenfield played out of his skin towards the end of last season. Has big shoes to fill with the Yak gone though)
9. Issac Luke (not sure if starting will lessen his impact (ala Widders) but is the obvious choice)
10. Roy Asotasi
11. David Kidwell
12. Luke Stuart (this bloke is a dead-set legend .... never stops givin 100%)
13. John Sutton (has developed into a solid backrower, but needs to start runnin wider and harder. I think our start to 2006 proved he is not a 5/8 anymore)

14. Dean Widders
15. Daniel Irvine (not sure what caused his dumping earlier last season, but i thought he was one of our most consistent players and deserves a reprieve)
16. Scott Geddes
17. Manase Manuokafoa

Fa'alogo will come back in to the starting side, with probably Stuart to the bench and Geddes back to the Bears

Sonic Star

Juniors
ballfreek said:

I'm a little late on this thread, but I still wanted chuck in my 2 cents, as i'm pumped for the season to kick-off! 10 weeks to go ... "I feel like Chicken tonight, like Chicken tonight! :p"

1. Nathan Merritt
2. Fetuli Talanoa
3. Yileen Gordon
4. Nigel Vagana
5. Shannon Hegarty (I've heard alot about this Sam Huihahau, but yet to see him play and I don't know if JT would be willing to give him a go first up ... rookies make easy targets)
6. Ben Rogers (In my opinion was best option at 5/8 and played his best footy in 07)
7. Craig Wing (will get first chance to make the 7 his, with Jez waiting should he not be up to scratch)

8. Michael Greenfield (Geddes has had enough of a chance to prove himself as a starter(as much as i like the guy). Greenfield played out of his skin towards the end of last season. Has big shoes to fill with the Yak gone though)
9. Issac Luke (not sure if starting will lessen his impact (ala Widders) but is the obvious choice)
10. Roy Asotasi
11. David Kidwell
13. John Sutton (has developed into a solid backrower, but needs to start runnin wider and harder. I think our start to 2006 proved he is not a 5/8 anymore)

14. Dean Widders
15. Daniel Irvine (not sure what caused his dumping earlier last season, but i thought he was one of our most consistent players and deserves a reprieve)
16. Scott Geddes
17. Manase Manuokafoa

Fa'alogo will come back in to the starting side, with probably Stuart to the bench and Geddes back to the Bears

Irvine has retired.

ballfreek

Juniors
Yeah I found that out just after I posted mine :p ... Thanks, and in that case, Jeremy Smith is his replacement :p

Dave Q

Coach
ballfreek said:

1. Nathan Merritt
2. Fetuli Talanoa
3. Yileen Gordon
4. Nigel Vagana

10. Roy Asotasi
11. David Kidwell

14. Dean Widders
16. Scott Geddes
17. Manase Manuokafoa

Welcome aboard neighbour.

Nice side too...

But no more bludging in the forwards for Sutton.

We need his services to add startch and fire into the backline. Theres nothing that looks more potent and threatening than Sutto poised to take the ball in the backs. He is big, he is strong and he is fast. He can step, bend, flick and kick.
He can fend, turn, twist and pass. On his day he can be more elusive than Israel and Hayne put together. In defence he can down the biggest and the smallest with equal ease.

He adds that doubt, fear and trepidation to less capable opponents who know that they cannot beat him in a one-on-one contest.

Our imminent march to grand final glory will be made more comfortable with Sutton in the backline.

SFB

Gee_Up

Juniors
I wouldn't mind seeing Champion being give a 1st grade run in the trials as Fullback. For mine, Merritt is a better Winger and Champion has good hands and good pace. He was terrible in the halves but at the back I see potential.

I'm keen to watch all the trials would feel more confident naming a Round One team against the "FlexiCap Rorters" after I've seen some form.

Sugar

Bench
Gee_Up said:
I wouldn't mind seeing Champion being give a 1st grade run in the trials as Fullback. For mine, Merritt is a better Winger and Champion has good hands and good pace. He was terrible in the halves but at the back I see potential.

I'm keen to watch all the trials would feel more confident naming a Round One team against the "FlexiCap Rorters" after I've seen some form.
Aaah Champion the forgotten saviour,If he doesnt shine this year he will go;-)

Gee_Up

Juniors
Sugar said:
Aaah Champion the forgotten saviour,If he doesnt shine this year he will go;-)

Frankly I'd be not re-signing any of these guys off contract until mid year when we can evaluate them properly.

Champion is built like and plays like a no.1 why on earth are they letting him sit in the 6 jersey in PL? he isn't a halve by a long shot.