What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your RD 1 2018 line up

franklin2323

Immortal
Fair point. Excluding the complaining part. No one here expected a premiership so we're agreed.

We just need to make sure we don't go backwards and we should be right to challenge for the prem in 2 years I reckon.

I said that earlier. I see no reason we won't the coach will be gone end of the season if we match last year. New coach will take the next step when Maloney retires. We have a premiership winning 24yo half to ease the new 5/8th in to the team with. To push for another as we should of done in 1991

seal

Juniors
I think our roster is easily top 4 quality. But at the same time, I don’t think we can make top 4. We have so many star players, and the squad we have should be capable of winning a premiership.

But I don’t think we are capable of winning a premiership because we will not be able to compete with the Storm, Roosters and Cowboys as long as Griffin is our coach. Game plans and attacking structures just seem so foreign to him and we will never be premiership contenders until this changes or he leaves the club. Griffin has a good record of bringing juniors through and taking teams to the early rounds of the finals, but I don’t think he is capable of coaching a team last that point

I’d love it if he proved me wrong, but I seriously doubt he will ever improve and I think we may as well put our premiership hopes on hold until he is gone

mxlegend99

Referee
My Round 1 line-up after trials and players leaving:

1. Dylan Edwards
2. Josh Mansour
3. Dean Whare
4. Waqa Blake
5. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak / Christian Crichton
6. James Maloney
7. Nathan Cleary
8. James Tamou
9. Peter Wallace
10. Reegan Campbell-Gillard
11. Isaah Yeo
12. Villiame Kikau
13. Trent Merrin

14. James Fisher-Harris
15. Moses Leota
16. Corey Harawira-Naera
17. Sione Katoa

After his last trial and signing with Titans. Peachey can sit in reserve grade until we need him due to injury.

CHN and Katoa offer over to all the positions Peachey did anyway. CHN can give Kikau a rest. Katoa can steal minutes from Wallace and Merrin for a bit. Running 2 hookers if we get momentum.

Leota/JFH in the front row. Bit of aggression. We need that against an Eels pack that are full of it. Cant carry soft forwards against them.

The team mostly picks itself, the only bad option that is possible would be Blake on the wing.

Really hope our hooker is picked totally on form all year. I hope Wal can lift but he might be done imo. I also don't rate Katoa that highly and think the sooner we get Egan in the better

Wallace deserves a shot to see if he can regain some speed after those injuries.

But if not we may have to change quickly to avoid another slow start. No.9 is just so important in the modern game.

It’d be a bummer because we really need his experience in a way. But at least we have Maloney to bark some orders.

Fangs

Coach
Club captain boys. I doubt he will be moved on early in the season. Enjoy watching captain courageous.

Though I am certain this will be his final year in the NRL. He will become part of the furniture in Penrith and probably get a coaching gig.

Club captain boys. I doubt he will be moved on early in the season. Enjoy watching captain courageous.

Though I am certain this will be his final year in the NRL. He will become part of the furniture in Penrith and probably get a coaching gig.

Harder to move the captain, but it does happen. Kevin Kingston for instance.

Kingston played 9 games that year, we really waited too long then. Hopefully someone remembers that.

mxlegend99

Referee
I dont rate Katoa highly. But I think he's going to pass Wallace easily this year. It will only be temporary though. Egan is our future.

In Katoas defence though he has never really had a chance to develop. He might be better if he got a decent chance.

Fangs

Coach
Some conjecture in this thread around Peachey.

He was undoubtedly one of the worst in the trial against the Dogs. He also had some bad moments in the Roosters game. He certainly won't start over Blake of Whare.

I want to give him a chance because he is a gun but we need to have a good start this year. His mind might be on movie world and getting back with his bestie Carty.

So I have absolutely nothing to add to this.

Thanks for reading.

mxlegend99

Referee
Some conjecture in this thread around Peachey.

He was undoubtedly one of the worst in the trial against the Dogs. He also had some bad moments in the Roosters game. He certainly won't start over Blake of Whare.

I want to give him a chance because he is a gun but we need to have a good start this year. His mind might be on movie world and getting back with his bestie Carty.

So I have absolutely nothing to add to this.

Thanks for reading.
I think based on trial form hes already in Queensland mentally.

I think we keep him incase we need him. But dont use him unless we do.

Fangs

Coach
I think based on trial form hes already in Queensland mentally.

I think we keep him incase we need him. But dont use him unless we do.

Well if thats the case he will get an early release. Imagine letting a guy that good play reserve grade for the rest of the year.

Fangs

Coach
Wal is tough as f**k and the type of bloke you want to play with but his service is just too slow and now with Jimmy we don't need his kicking from dummy half

Not that Wal's kicking was utilised out of dummy-half much (See 'Griffinball'). But yes his value is relegated with both Cleary and Maloney handling kicking duties.

Well if thats the case he will get an early release. Imagine letting a guy that good play reserve grade for the rest of the year.

Unless there’s someone out there we could sign, I’d force him to say.

Use it as an example to other players that you can’t just kick up a fuss and get your way. If he becomes a bad influence tell him to say at home.

Not that Wal's kicking was utilised out of dummy-half much (See 'Griffinball'). But yes his value is relegated with both Cleary and Maloney handling kicking duties.

Hopefully they are shared (the general play kicking)

Cleary could do with a little less pressure on him.

Fangs

Coach
Too many reasons why he won't be kept in reserve grade.

Best excuse: 'For the good of the game'

roofromoz

First Grade
We probably would of had a crazy run then if Ben Alexander didn't die. 2003 Richardson absolutely murdered our cap

We were actually a good chance to still make the semis in 1992 even after the accident but faded in the last month or so. Fell off the cliff in 1993 and was pretty much it for a decade apart from 1997 and 2000.