What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your RD 1 2018 line up

mxlegend99

Referee
I don't get this argument. He signed a long term contract on reduced money which was a good result for all involved. If he's good enough, he'll be in the 17. If he's not then he won't be.

30 man squad, you'd probably want more than just Blake & Peachey as your options.
We did the exact same thing for Sam McKendry. He has barely played a game since his extension. A 5 year contract extension for an injury prone player is a good result for the player. Definitely. They rarely seem to work out well for the clubs though. Even when it's a player in the peak of his career... that never seems to last a 5 year contract.

Injuries. Poor form. A combination of both always seem to screw the club over.

In his past 3 seasons Dean Whare has only played in 42% of our games (32 out of 76). Of the 32 matches he did play in, we only won 12 of them. This year alone he played 18 games for only 7 wins. In a team that made week 2 of finals he only had a 38% win rate.

Hopefully he can bounce back to 2014 form. Play a full season at full fitness and form. But 2014 was more than 3 seasons ago now. 3 years and a bunch of leg injuries later. I think it's a huge uphill battle for him personally. But hey, Billy Slater managed to sit 2 years out with serious injuries and come back at his best. So it's obviously possible.

franklin2323

Immortal
I don't get this argument. He signed a long term contract on reduced money which was a good result for all involved. If he's good enough, he'll be in the 17. If he's not then he won't be.

30 man squad, you'd probably want more than just Blake & Peachey as your options.

Once again you nailed it. 30 man squad means should have 2 starting teams and a few spares. Most teams will have 5 centres we have 3 if we count Peachey so not a bad thing if he stays fit of course

mxlegend99

Referee
Once again you nailed it. 30 man squad means should have 2 starting teams and a few spares. Most teams will have 5 centres we have 3 if we count Peachey so not a bad thing if he stays fit of course
Our reserve grade side was the best of any team in NSW Cup or QLD Cup this year. I think the centres there went alright.

DWZ can play centre. Opens up a wing spot for one of our promising young wingers.
CHN can play centre. Opens up a second row spot... we will have quality players missing out.
Yeo... same as CHN.
Satini and Cartwright obviously.

Are any of them the next superstar centre? Unlikely. But that's 5 decent options between NRL and reserve grade. Hell Kikau even played some centre in Under 20s.

Honestly I would love to see big Jed Cartwright get a crack at some point. Every match I saw from him he looked like he could make the step up. Has a great offload and uses his size.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade

Because (a) he had JUST come off almost two full seasons out with serious injury and (b) Peachey and Blake had made the center spots there own in the interim. Sure, re-sign him for a year or two as back up, see if he will ever get back to where he was, but FIVE YEARS? Dumb, dumb, dumb.

franklin2323

Immortal
Would be nice to see us actually fill out or squad. Plenty of fringe signings elsewhere nothing here. Backs and halves we are very light on

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
Whare is on almost nothing.

He wanted to stay with the club because we gave him a shot in first grade.

So then it comes to taking a squad spot...there's 30 of them for first grade...

Honestly, the club would have been stupid to not do this.

franklin2323

Immortal
Whare is on almost nothing.

He wanted to stay with the club because we gave him a shot in first grade.

So then it comes to taking a squad spot...there's 30 of them for first grade...

Honestly, the club would have been stupid to not do this.

People just like to whinge. He and Blake are our only 2 centres. Should someone else come through and take his spot and he wants to play 3 years in NSW Cup then so be it

franklin2323

Immortal
Our reserve grade side was the best of any team in NSW Cup or QLD Cup this year. I think the centres there went alright.

DWZ can play centre. Opens up a wing spot for one of our promising young wingers.
CHN can play centre. Opens up a second row spot... we will have quality players missing out.
Yeo... same as CHN.
Satini and Cartwright obviously.

Are any of them the next superstar centre? Unlikely. But that's 5 decent options between NRL and reserve grade. Hell Kikau even played some centre in Under 20s.

Honestly I would love to see big Jed Cartwright get a crack at some point. Every match I saw from him he looked like he could make the step up. Has a great offload and uses his size.

Satini isn't signed. I like DWZ as a centre the problem is we have no outside back depth fullstop. So no idea who would play wing to move him.

Our squad balance is all wrong we are in injury in the halves away from playing a rookie or Bryce in the halves again. Similar in the backs.

Meanwhile Canberra had added Sam Williams as depth half. Souths a few fringe backs and so on

mxlegend99

Referee
Satini isn't signed. I like DWZ as a centre the problem is we have no outside back depth fullstop. So no idea who would play wing to move him.

Our squad balance is all wrong we are in injury in the halves away from playing a rookie or Bryce in the halves again. Similar in the backs.

Meanwhile Canberra had added Sam Williams as depth half. Souths a few fringe backs and so on
6. Moylan
7. Cleary

Depth:
Jerome Luai
Tyrone May
Bryce Cartwright if desperate for 6
Peter Wallace can shift back to 7 also

Holding onto Darren Nichols would be handy. But hes in demand so that's probably not likely.

We have options. No we dont have a superstar centre or halfback who will be playing reserve grade. But we have more than capable options there.

If we lose enough players that our depth is tested like thast we are screwed anyway.

franklin2323

Immortal
6. Moylan
7. Cleary

Depth:
Jerome Luai
Tyrone May
Bryce Cartwright if desperate for 6
Peter Wallace can shift back to 7 also

Holding onto Darren Nichols would be handy. But hes in demand so that's probably not likely.

We have options. No we dont have a superstar centre or halfback who will be playing reserve grade. But we have more than capable options there.

If we lose enough players that our depth is tested like thast we are screwed anyway.

We got rid of 17 NSW Cup players last season that is the depth there. Oldfield won't play any more games at Canberra as he would of here. MWZ possibly will that is where we are falling behind by stupidly only using youth. TMM now JT is back can only hope for bench at best so it wasn't like they left for guaranteed starts elsewhere

We should be going for guys like Jayden Nikorima, Brad Abbey etc not world beaters but fringe FGers that can do a job if called on

I have our squad as

Backs:

Edwards
Mansour
Whare
Blake
DWZ

Halves/hookers:
Luani
Moylan
Cleary
Wallace
Rein
Egan

Props:
Tamou
RCG
Browne
Latu
Clark
JFH
McKendry

Backrowers:
Bryce
Jed
Yeo
CHN
Kikau
Waddell
Ellis

Utilities:

May
Katoa
Peachey

28 players 2 more spots very light on experience

Last edited:

Fangs

Coach
My sentimental side wants Whare to start next year. I saw some glimpses of his best in the Manly final at SFS. His best football is definately still ahead of him I reckon, remember he is only 27 years old.

It still seems ridiculous that he was signed to a 5 year contract, even if it was for peanuts (Says who?). But I suppose that shows how highly regarded he is by the club. Really hope he gets back to his best because he was a great player.

Peachey was shuffled around throughout the year and didn't get any help from an unsettled spine. Though I don't think he made the most of his chances at centre. Love the guy, but if he doesn't find a position in the starting 17 I think he will be squeezed out of Penrith.

franklin2323

Immortal
My sentimental side wants Whare to start next year. I saw some glimpses of his best in the Manly final at SFS. His best football is definately still ahead of him I reckon, remember he is only 27 years old.

It still seems ridiculous that he was signed to a 5 year contract, even if it was for peanuts (Says who?). But I suppose that shows how highly regarded he is by the club. Really hope he gets back to his best because he was a great player.

Peachey was shuffled around throughout the year and didn't get any help from an unsettled spine. Though I don't think he made the most of his chances at centre. Love the guy, but if he doesn't find a position in the starting 17 I think he will be squeezed out of Penrith.

IMO the unsettled spine was the main problem we had. The Cap is going up every year Whare is here lets say he is on $200k. GI rated him the best centre before the 2015 ANZAC test we have that deal locked in. How many top centres will be getting that coin if the cap is say $11m in 2019?

Of course he could be busted and we see rubbish from him. In which case he sits in NSW Cup until ESL pay him overs to go over and semi retire. It is a risk you take rather then have him demand a huge deal in 2 years if form picks up

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I don't understand all the Dean Whare hate?? The guy is great team man, he's happy to sit in Reggies if someone is playing better than him.

He gives 100% when ever picked.

He's not expensive

His team mates love playing with him.

He brings a lot to the table.

He also hits like a truck!

mxlegend99

Referee
I don't understand all the Dean Whare hate?? The guy is great team man, he's happy to sit in Reggies if someone is playing better than him.

He's not expensive

Why is not liking a decision automatically hating someone?

He has played 42% of the possible games in the past 3 seasons. The 2 before that he was terrific and played every game available.

No one hates him. Atleast I doubt they do. But committing a top 30 spot to an injury prone player for 5 years is crazy. Especially when his best footy was more than 3 years ago.

Billy Slater has proven its possible to remain an elite player. But there are a lot more examples of players who couldn't do it. Which is why the 5 year contract is ridiculous.

2 years would have been perfect. Let us see if he can recapture his best footy again and stay fit for a full season without commutting the next half a decade to him.

The contract length offered is what people have issue with. Not Dean Whare.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Why is not liking a decision automatically hating someone?

He has played 42% of the possible games in the past 3 seasons. The 2 before that he was terrific and played every game available.

No one hates him. Atleast I doubt they do. But committing a top 30 spot to an injury prone player for 5 years is crazy. Especially when his best footy was more than 3 years ago.

Billy Slater has proven its possible to remain an elite player. But there are a lot more examples of players who couldn't do it. Which is why the 5 year contract is ridiculous.

2 years would have been perfect. Let us see if he can recapture his best footy again and stay fit for a full season without commutting the next half a decade to him.

The contract length offered is what people have issue with. Not Dean Whare.

"Dean Whare Hate" is a turn of phrase mate. I realise no one literally hates Dean. I was just commenting on the amount of negativity being dished his way.

age.s

First Grade
I'm a fan of Whare and reckon he's good odds to find his form again, but long contracts are always a disproportionate risk for a club. If Whare becomes an international quality center again he's going to have clubs after him and is unlikely to hang around for 200k (if the reported is true). Players can break contracts or put pressure to have them upgraded. Happens all the time. If he's terminally busted the reverse won't be true for the club. Maybe this was the only option Gus had to keep him, but I think the club would be better off with a 3 year deal every day of the week.

OldPanther

Coach

He's not expensive

I like Whare as a player. Think 5 years is a bit much though. Maybe 2 and see if he can get some form and keep fit.

Latest posts