What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Team & Local Juniors

NAS

Juniors
"Local" juniors only... struggling a bit, can any other Souths fans think of players I'm missing?

1. Nathan Merritt
2. Evander Cummins
3. Beau Champion
4. Reece Robinson
5. James Roberts
6. John Sutton
7. Adam Reynolds
8. Jason Clark
9. Beau Falloon
10. Eddy Pettybourne
11. Reni Maitua
12. Braith Anasta
13. Nathan Peats

I distinctly recall Trent Merrin was a souths junior as well....

rnb11

Juniors
Scone and Taree are part of Newcastle?

They're in the Hunter which to me is considered local to the Knights, all Knights juniors are from the Hunter and we're proud of that. You're kidding if you don't think guys like Buderus aren't local juniors. Tilse, Morris, Lowrie, Bird etc are all Hunter products and came up through the Newcastle ranks.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
Union or league?

Rugby, It was a knockout game and Uate lost it for them with his shit defence on the wing. The most average sportsman you have ever seen(a good mate of mine) stepped him to score the winning try haha even against schoolboys he couldnt defend.

Anyway, it shows he was still on the coast well after 2005 when he signed to Newwy as im pretty sure it was 07

franklin2323

Immortal
5. Coote?

I only did Juniors that left. a team of all juniors:
Coote
M.Wright
Jennings
Pomeroy
Turner
Siejka
Wallace
Grant
Masada
Fifita
Lewis
Paulo
Graham:

The question is where do you start? McKendry played SG Ball with us so a junior. Yet Buhrer played for Riverstone until u14's then Parra district. So is he ours or not?

firechild

First Grade
The question is where do you start? McKendry played SG Ball with us so a junior. Yet Buhrer played for Riverstone until u14's then Parra district. So is he ours or not?

Brett Stewart played SG Ball for Manly too but he is clearly a Wollongong junior. But yeah, I'd put Buhrer down as one of yours if he played there up to u14s.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Mead has his junior club as Lismore Marist, Sandow as Cherbourg (I know he had a year or two at Seagulls) I'd call Mead a junior over Sandow.
Which Gordon? Kevin Gordon isn't a junior but Michael Gordon is and would would walk into the side.
Not too sold on Benji and T'eo being juniors either but they did spend some time on the coast during their development I suppose.
Anyway it does show that the Coast has produced some talent, and will continue to do so in the future, hopefully the Titans can pick up the right ones.

Benji would be a junior. Got a scholarship to Keebra and from there went to the Tigers. Pretty sure he lists Keebra Park as his junior club. Don't think he played for anyone else.

Te'o however was a Hibiscus Coast Raider. Not on the Gold Coast.

ek999

First Grade
Put Kyle Stanley at fullback and josh Reynolds at 6 as he is a illawarra Harold Matt's junior and went to school at kograh

Josh Reynolds played for St George Dragons JRLFC which is part of the Canterbury juniors.

rnb11

Juniors
I wouldn't call Benji a GC local junior. He moved there when he was 16, never played for a local team and left for Sydney 2 years later.

Billybob

Juniors
North Queensland

best I can do (remember)

can we swap some forwards for some halves or fullbacks

1 Slater
2 Oneill
3 Nielsen
4 Hodges
5 Graham
6 Lui
7 Prince
8 Scott
9 Mitchell
10 Myles
11 Guerra
12 Thaiday
13 Johnson
14 Barba
15 Bowen
16 Morgan
17 DCE

rnb11

Juniors
On the subject of local juniors I was watching a Super League game the other day and the commentator mentioned that 12 players of the Wigan squad of 25 were local juniors who had come through their production system and 9 of those were actually born and bred Wigan lads.

That's pretty damn impressive.

I think the Knights have 15 locals/players who have come through their own ranks in their top 25, 16 if you count Kevin Naiqama who came up in the Knights Toyota Cup team and something like 90% of our lower grades are all home grown. So when people accuse the Knights for no longer developing their own players, it's extremely unwise to suggest such a thing. The team is packed with them and there's a whole new generation of them on the verge of making the step up. I wish it was possible for more clubs to do the same.

Last edited:

TK1

Juniors
Put Kyle Stanley at fullback and josh Reynolds at 6 as he is a illawarra Harold Matt's junior and went to school at kograh

Josh Reynolds played his juniors at St George Dragons JRLFC, which is in the Canterbury-Bankstown district

He also played every level for the bulldogs including Harold Matts, SG Ball, Toyota cup and NSW cup, and currently NRL level..

natheel

Coach
Josh Reynolds played his juniors at St George Dragons JRLFC, which is in the Canterbury-Bankstown district

He also played every level for the bulldogs including Harold Matts, SG Ball, Toyota cup and NSW cup, and currently NRL level..

He was a Harold matts steelers mate. My mate played with him

TK1

Juniors
He was a Harold matts steelers mate. My mate played with him

"Josh arrived at NRL level in 2011 in a continuation of a journey that has seen the local junior represent the Bulldogs at every level from Harold Matthews Cup to First Grade"

from the profile page on the bulldogs website

Blackdiamond

Juniors
*** UPDATE - For the purposes of this hypothetical - lets not include Harold Matthews, SG Ball & Selective Sports High Schools. As the players often get picked from their local JRLFC to play for these teams/schools.

The idea was to identify a true local origin of the current crop of NRL players.

Where disputes arise, I would suggest nominating - the players 'first rugby league team'.

It does get tricky with CRL & identifying which NRL team links with each CRL Group. Any suggestions - from those in the know?

Last edited:

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Still no one has attempted a Parramatta side. Despite their great teams in Matts, Ball etc the local district juniors in the NRL are limited.

So far I've got...

2. David Williams
3. Ryan Morgan
4. Krisnan Inu
6. Kris Keating
7. Trent Hodkinson
8. Tim Mannah
9. Matt Keating
10. Talima Tautai
11. Jamie Buhrer
12. Taniela Lasalo
13. Paul Gallen

Not impressive!

Last edited:
Don't Parra also have Williams brothers plus Tony Williams, maybe buhrer, fulton, did Hayne play a bit for Cabbra?

I thought I saw an article a while back that had a big list of cabbra juniors currently in NRL