What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your team v's Titans Rd1

If Aku defends like we expect, unless he counters it with tries, I can see Sione replacing him on the wing. I think Brown is a fan of the brothers TBH. He is definitely picking a side with size and that means the smaller blokes need to aim up physically. Safitis could be the next Fafitas but better. Time will tell.

aqua_duck

Coach
There is a lot of inexperienced guys all at once in this team
youth cant beat experiance

It's not about winning now, the last few years we've had an unrealistic win now mentality and it's set us back 3-4 years. I'd rather endure some growing pains now if it means we're building a team for the long run

Burwood

Bench
Can we build a team for the long run? The problem with a youth policy is that every one of these players is going to have their value sky rocket over the next 12 months if they get a solid season of NRL experience under their belts.

If we had a spine full of established players who weren't likely to see their value increase over the term of their contract (like Hodkinson and Mullen) I'd be a lot more confident of us building a team around those players over a number of years.

With Levi and Feeney looking like our long term hooker and fullback, what is to stop another club swooping in and signing them once they finally begin to show some promise? It will be the whole Tapine saga happening once again.

aqua_duck

Coach
Can we build a team for the long run? The problem with a youth policy is that every one of these players is going to have their value sky rocket over the next 12 months if they get a solid season of NRL experience under their belts.

If we had a spine full of established players who weren't likely to see their value increase over the term of their contract (like Hodkinson and Mullen) I'd be a lot more confident of us building a team around those players over a number of years.

With Levi and Feeney looking like our long term hooker and fullback, what is to stop another club swooping in and signing them once they finally begin to show some promise? It will be the whole Tapine saga happening once again.

This is the only way we have of building a good team, we're never going to be able to attract big names without paying well well above market value, atleast with young guys we might not have to pay well overs to keep them especially if they see improvement under the tutelege of Brown

Burwood

Bench
I just don't think we are going to be able to retain young promising players in the spine. When push comes to shove, the big clubs will always throw money at them and we won't be able to compete.. They can target backrowers and outside backs as they aren't as important to the overall success of a team, but we are never going to have a successful side developed unless we hold onto our spine for at least 3-4 years once they crack first grade.

Much easier to do with players who you know their value, compared to young players that will see a big increase in salary once they become NRL standard.

Spot On

Coach
Which is why Brown must balance the cap and pay the players in key positions enough to keep them while paying your wingers a fair bit less than 500K a season. Or at least that's what you hope will work.

League_God

Juniors
I actually couldn't be happier with the side. Mataora played well in the trial, looks fitter and leaner.
Gives some of our harder workers a shot. Dropped those who played like c**k in the trial/nines.

Strong bench.

Kudos to Browny for showing some balls and picking on form. Whether you like it or not, that's our strongest side for rd 1.

Getting the W would be a huge effort from the kids

League_God

Juniors
PS on a slightly unrelated note, anyone who blames aku's shitty season on his weight has no idea what they're talking about. Judging from a photo I saw taken two days ago he'd be sub 10% bf

I have no idea how Brown thinks but at a guess he is not interested in paying big dollars for anyone. For example if Dane plays sub par and Broncs come calling he will not stand in his way. I also think Rochow might walk cos he has huge wraps on himself. He had played very well but he is not yet a rep dollar footballer. If trade Windows and transfer fees become reality we could make a lot of money out any attempt to sign our youth. In fact all player movements while under an existing contract should have compulsory transfer fees in my view. That way the club still has a bit of negotiating power. Superleague clubs demand it.

The bonus for us with Brown blooding players is young talents on the fringe of selection at other clubs who have to wait till bigger contract players move on will see us as a viable alternative. If Brown can get us winning the players will follow. I am really looking forward to this year. There is some real ability going on in this side. Plenty of tomorrows. They look deadset fearless this generation we have brought on.

Last edited:

1qaz

Juniors
I have no idea how Brown thinks but at a guess he is not interested in paying big dollars for anyone. For example if Dane plays sub par and Broncs come calling he will not stand in his way. I also think Rochow might walk cos he has huge wraps on himself. He had played very well but he is not yet a rep dollar footballer. If trade Windows and transfer fees become reality we could make a lot of money out any attempt to sign our youth. In fact all player movements while under an existing contract should have compulsory transfer fees in my view. That way the club still has a bit of negotiating power. Superleague clubs demand it.

The bonus for us with Brown blooding players is young talents on the fringe of selection at other clubs who have to wait till bigger contract players move on will see us as a viable alternative. If Brown can get us winning the players will follow. I am really looking forward to this year. There is some real ability going on in this side. Plenty of tomorrows. They look deadset fearless this generation we have brought on.

You have NFI about anything.
Did your inside source tell you about Rochow having wraps on himself?
You dumb ass.

Gravy

Juniors
Can someone tell me what to except with the Saifiti brothers. Do they play in the middle or edge forwards? Good work rate players? Ive heard plenty about their potential but haven't been able to see them play much at all.

PhilGould

Bench
Can someone tell me what to except with the Saifiti brothers. Do they play in the middle or edge forwards? Good work rate players? Ive heard plenty about their potential but haven't been able to see them play much at all.
Daniel is the slightly bigger one who plays in the middle and Jacob plays on the edge, though could play in the middle if needed. They're both really impressive athletes. Both are big and strong, pretty fast considering their massive frames and have high work rates for their age. I think they could both turn into 80 minute players, but obviously not for a few seasons.

The most exciting thing for me is that this is their first professional NRL offseason so there should be a pretty big improvement even from where they were at the end of last season.

I definitely didn't expect them to be in first grade in round 1 and to be honest I'm not entirely sure that they're ready but Brown obviously thinks they are so I'm excited to see how they go.

ryana87

Juniors
Which of thesebplayers do you guys think is super coach relevant.......feeney is already in my team, obviously bhana could be dropped any round for levi.......one of the twins is covering tariq and the other could be swapped for stock well at any time.......and pat is obviously covering sione for one round

Am I incorrect in any of this?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
The Knights round one side is:
Jaelen Fenney, Chanel Mata’utia, Pat Mata’utia, Dane Gagai, Akuila Uate, Jarrod Mullen, Trent Hodkinson, Kade Snowden, Tyler Randell, Sam Mataora, Jacob Saifiti, Robbie Rochow, Jeremy Smith.
Bench: Korbin Sims, Pauli Pauli, Daniel Saifiti, David Bhana.

LINK

slotmachine

First Grade
Which of thesebplayers do you guys think is super coach relevant.......feeney is already in my team, obviously bhana could be dropped any round for levi.......one of the twins is covering tariq and the other could be swapped for stock well at any time.......and pat is obviously covering sione for one round

Am I incorrect in any of this?

Sounds about right.
Paea is also injured and sounds like he would have got the nod over Mataora if fit.

otori

Juniors
I like that Brown is taking risks. Considering we don't have a finals ready team, it's a refreshing approach and will hopefully unearth some real talent. Hopefully he can back up the move with good talent management