What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

your test selection

borat

Bench
lockyno1 said:
No they shouldn't have. The only way Macgill would play is if you played 5 bowlers and it is just too risky as Watson is out. Plus it really lengthens the tail as Macgill dead set can't bat!

Where did I once say 5 bowlers? I would happily take 2 spinners and two pace bowlers. Warne takes 40 wickets against the poms in the last series and we have a second leg spinner who averages 27 yet we can't find room for him?. Fair enough going in with the seam bowlers at the Gabba but recent history has shown that the Adelaide will be a batsmans paradise and will take to spin on days 3, 4 & 5.

One of Lee, Clark and McGrath(depending how his heel is) should have made way for MacGill.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Too risky. Look I actually agree with playing Macgill but I would not do it unless a all-rounder is in the side. You need that 3rd seamer.

borat

Bench
How many overs do you think that Warne will bowl in this test match Locky particularly in the 2nd innings. Warne will probably bowl first change in the 2nd innings anyway.

lockyno1

Post Whore
2nd innings yes, but my problem with playing Macgill with only 4 bowlers is the 1st innings. The Adelaide wicket does provide assistance to the seamers on day 1 and 2. You won't be bowling spinners 1st change there in the 1st innings. If there was a all-rounder in the side, you would have a good argument for Macgill. Without Watson, no Macgill.

borat

Bench
lockyno1 said:
2nd innings yes, but my problem with playing Macgill with only 4 bowlers is the 1st innings. The Adelaide wicket does provide assistance to the seamers on day 1 and 2. You won't be bowling spinners 1st change there in the 1st innings. If there was a all-rounder in the side, you would have a good argument for Macgill. Without Watson, no Macgill.

The only assistance the adelaide wicket will provide the seamers on day 1 and 2 is serving the ball up on a platter for whoever is lucky enough to win the toss and bat first.

England have to be the most suspect team in world cricket to leg spin bowling and we have one of the best in MacGill who has taken a hatful of wickets against them in the past. Mark my words if England win the toss they will plunder our attack in the first innings and Warne will bowl a huge number of overs. West Indies hit 405 in the first innings last year but whats against MacGill is that he didn't pick up many wickets.

lockyno1

Post Whore
We'll see. I believe they have got it right. If Watson is out, the tail is too long with Macgill and McGrath there!

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
lockyno1 said:
We'll see. I believe they have got it right. If Watson is out, the tail is too long with Macgill and McGrath there!
that'd make the tail 2.

England should play two spinners and three quicks. They need to stop the runs from the Aussies.

Latest posts