What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

your test side

aussies1st

Staff member
Possibly will be much harder for them this time than in NZ as the test bowlers form isnt too great. But i wouldnt be surpised if they did that.

lockyno1 said:
You say you don't pick out of form players- and then you pick Clarke! He is almost the most out of form of them all! As much as I bag Martyn in one-dayers, he is proven in test matches. Symonds was given his chance and failed. Tait is the same bowler as Lee so you won't pick 2 of them in the same test side until you have to! He is on tour for experience only!

I said, however I think Clarke is a must, even though his form hasn't been that great. Also, to say Symonds was given his chance. I would hardly say he was given a chance. In a few tests against Sri Lanka where Australia batted poorly is barely justifiable as being an opportunity. They did that to Hayden years and years ago, now look at him.

Tait is the same bowler as Lee - why wouldn't you pick 2 of them in the same team if it is successful? I sure wouldn't pick Gillespie on current form, Kasprowicz hasn;t had many opportunities this tour.

The first test will be the momentum builder. The team which loses will struggle to come back to win the series in my opinion.

Timbo

Staff member
O'Meeley you say the side needs a 'fresh new direction' so you drop the 2nd youngest player who has the least caps!

Timbo said:
Nothing. However I think Hussey has to be in there, and it's either Clarke or Langer who has to go. I said Langer in the interest of getting the test and ODI sides into sync.

Clarke has not made runs for ages. Langer made 100 in his last test in the UK and his form was solid in NZ. Langer will be the leading runscorer for the series. Clarke has to go as does Gillespie.

aussies1st

Staff member
Kaspa bowled well in the 2nd odi so i think he should be picked over gillespie as no way will they pick tait unless he rips up in the 4 day game. As long as lee is in there aus will have a good side.

Rammo

Juniors
Timbo said:
O'Meeley you say the side needs a 'fresh new direction' so you drop the 2nd youngest player who has the least caps!

Yeah but Clarke is out of form. You have to have a balance in these situations. Experience and young blood and gel them as a team. Clarke is a star of the future we all know that, but he needs to sort himself out in county cricket.

JJ

Immortal
Iafeta said:
1 Langer
2 Hayden
3 Ponting
4 Martyn
5 Katich
6 Clarke
7 Gilchrist
8 Lee
9 Warne
10 Kasprowicz
11 McGrath

No place for Gillespie. His bowling has gone to the dumps of late.

looks like the one for me - although wouldn't surprise me if they went with Gillespie ahead of Lee - they've been very conservative in recent years, and Lee is a risk in tests

tupac

Juniors
if it was me i would pick
1.langer
2.katich
3.ponting
4.syomnds
5.clarke
6.harvey
7.gilly
8.warnie
9.tait
10.lee
11.mcgrath

but it will look like this
1.hayden
2.langer
3.ponting
4.martyn
5.clarke
6.katich/hussey/syomnds
7.gilly
8.dizzy
9.warnie
10.lee
11.mcgrath

Timbo

Staff member
O'Meley said:
Yeah but Clarke is out of form. You have to have a balance in these situations. Experience and young blood and gel them as a team. Clarke is a star of the future we all know that, but he needs to sort himself out in county cricket.

I'm referring to Katich.

Earl

Coach
tupac said:
if it was me i would pick
1.langer
2.katich
3.ponting
4.syomnds
5.clarke
6.harvey
7.gilly
8.warnie
9.tait
10.lee
11.mcgrath

Thats not even worth taking seriously.

JJ said:
looks like the one for me - although wouldn't surprise me if they went with Gillespie ahead of Lee - they've been very conservative in recent years, and Lee is a risk in tests

In the past I'd have agreed with that but Punter wants Lee in the side this time around.

Tommy Smith

Referee
If fit, Brett Lee is a sure thing for the 1st Test. Absolutely no doubt he'll be there IMO.

The side should be:

Langer
Hayden (needs to lift his game)
Ponting
Martyn
Katich
Hussey
Gilly
Warne
Lee
Kaspa
McGrath

gregstar

Referee
langer
hayden
ponting
martyn
katich
clarke
gilchrist
warne
lee
gillespie
mcgrath

kaspa (12th man)

clarke should be given 2 tests to show some form - bring in hodge if this doesn't occur
hussey should remain on standby - i understand he'll be playing county anyway as will symonds
gillespie deserves every opportunity to find some form - a test is as good as any

Tommy Smith said:
If fit, Brett Lee is a sure thing for the 1st Test. Absolutely no doubt he'll be there IMO.

The side should be:

Langer
Hayden (needs to lift his game)
Ponting
Martyn
Katich
Hussey
Gilly
Warne
Lee
Kaspa
McGrath

That's the XI I'd be going in with.

borat

Bench
1. Langer
2. Hayden
3. Ponting
4. Martyn
5. Clarke
6. Gilchrist
7. Symonds
8. Lee
9. Warne
10. Kasprowicz
11. McGrath

IMO Australia will need variety in their bowling attack due to the conditions changing so quickly depending on the weather. An overcast day in the morning has the ball seaming and dry out by the afternoon etc. Thats why I would have Symonds and his batting form is awesome.

aussies1st

Staff member
Symonds could really play as a batsmen first and a part time bowler. That could definitely work but cant see aus doing it as hes not even in the squad like hussey.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
1-Langer
2-Martyn
3-Ponting
4-Hayden
5-Clarke
6-Gilchrist
7-Hogg
8-Lee
9-Warne
10-Kasprowicz
11-McGrath

I think Hogg would be an asset in the first test, as an optional extra bowler. The Australian attack has a lot of sameness about it with McGrath, Kasper, Dizzy and Warne. I think the pace of Lee at the expense of Dizzy is a decision that needs to be made. Hogg in for Katich, simply because I think his bowling would come in handy, and he's a damn fine fielder. Katich isn't the greatest, I've seen him drop too many sitters at Test level.

Martyn to open the batting, just to give Hayden a look at some different bowlers, as he seems to me to be struggling with Harmison. It will also change up the bowling line for Harmison, who I think struggles to hold a decent line when bowling to a left/right hand batting combination.

aussies1st

Staff member
madunit said:
1-Langer
2-Martyn
3-Ponting
4-Hayden
5-Clarke
6-Gilchrist
7-Hogg
8-Lee
9-Warne
10-Kasprowicz
11-McGrath

I think Hogg would be an asset in the first test, as an optional extra bowler. The Australian attack has a lot of sameness about it with McGrath, Kasper, Dizzy and Warne. I think the pace of Lee at the expense of Dizzy is a decision that needs to be made. Hogg in for Katich, simply because I think his bowling would come in handy, and he's a damn fine fielder. Katich isn't the greatest, I've seen him drop too many sitters at Test level.

Martyn to open the batting, just to give Hayden a look at some different bowlers, as he seems to me to be struggling with Harmison. It will also change up the bowling line for Harmison, who I think struggles to hold a decent line when bowling to a left/right hand batting combination.

Batting may look a bit short with hogg there. If you want an extra bowler/batter Symonds would be the better option. In these english conditions he probably could get the ball to swing and his aggressive hitting would be perfect.

Have people forgotten that Katich bowls? And has had success in test cricket with the ball? He also has had success domestically. No use putting Hogg in, an average batsman and an average bowler. At least Symonds or Katich are average in one area, and Symonds is a much better fielder than the both of them.

Hayden to the middle order? I doubt it. Martyn to open? lol, first short ball he will be caught cutting. Don't try to fix what isn't broken, and the only things that are broken is Gillespie and the one batting spot which no one has cemented since Steve Waughs departure.

Latest posts