What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Top 5 Most Overrated Bands/Artists

Kakihara

Juniors
Heres mine for punk and hardcore:

Nofx
Pennywise
Hatebreed
Crass
AFI
Rancid
Atreyu (a lot of girls i know love this band)
Distillers
Avenged Sevenfold

These are bands that i know a lot of people like yet i dont see the big deal with them.

elyod138

Bench
what about greenday and good charlotte and simple plan (even though the last 2 arent even punk they are just wannabes)

Kakihara

Juniors
They are arnt rated by anyone so i didnt mention them.

Oh and i agree with that guys site about the Pistols.

hrundi99

First Grade
Jae said:
The Beatles success is based mainly on their record sales and popularity. No one really notices that the songs weren't all that good... sure they're a few decent ones, but seriously... I can't listen to their stuff without thinking about how child-like it is these days... Let It Be is amazing though.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Me laugh.

hrundi99

First Grade
I don't really get the animosity towards Jet.

They're a straightforward rock band who wear their quality influences on their collective sleeves.

They're not trying to cure musical cancer.

There is little pretence about them when you compare them to a group like Radiohead, who I find pretty indulgent these days.

It's an attitude thing I guess.

Oasis
Eric Prydz
Delta Goodrem
Smashing Pumpkins
Pacifier/Shihad
George Michael
Missy Higgins
Avril Lavigne
Guy Sebastian
Shannon Noll

les norton said:
Well i'm not a rap fan so all of them
The Vines
Creed
Delta
These I agree with.

I really cant believe some of the ones that have been named....

Now I'm a huge Robbie fan but I've excepted I would be fighting a losing battle there (you have obviously never listened to his music or seen him live!! :D ) but the stones, the beatles, metallica OMG people....open your ears.
Powderfinger are a great aussie band. Nirvana helped shape my generation. U2????? come on!!

I Don't think any one has said Nivarna (for example) was no good.

Just overrated.

I mean really they are quite simple songs and anyone whos play an instrument for more than 6mths could play most of their songs

Allthough Oasis are really shit and should be in my list #-O

Balmain_Boy

Jae said:
The Beatles success is based mainly on their record sales and popularity. No one really notices that the songs weren't all that good... sure they're a few decent ones, but seriously... I can't listen to their stuff without thinking about how child-like it is these days... Let It Be is amazing though.

Wow, worst post ever.

There is so much musical talent mentioned here it's quite ridiculous. Anyway, my 5:

Maroon 5
Blink 182
Powderfinger (Oh they're so bland)
U2

AND

Nirvana. If I see another stooge wearing a Kurt Cobain T shirt i'll scream. Most overrated musician of the last decade by a long way.

hrundi99, about Radiohead. I agree their music is highly self indulgent. But I love the fact they're willing to experiment. One of the few modern bands that will take that risk.

More to my list:

* Delta (It's amazing how far you can make it in the music industry based on sympathy - i wonder what misforture she'll have thrust upon her just before her next album is released?)

* Powderfinger (Got crappy after Internationalist)

*Anything with Phil Collins In It

* Missy Higgins

*JBT (Only popular because it's suddenly cool to be a dirty, smelly hippy - nobody actually enjoys 18 minute long slide guitar solos) ;-)

hrundi99

First Grade
Balmain_Boy said:
hrundi99, about Radiohead. I agree their music is highly self indulgent. But I love the fact they're willing to experiment. One of the few modern bands that will take that risk.

There are hundreds/thousands of bands out there that take risks.

I think Radiohead started believing their own press and disappeared up their own arseholes.

The earlier stuff like The Bends was better.

I'm a big Wilco fan and the 2 bands have been compared in recent years and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot was great but their latest has tested my patience at times. A 10 minute song consisting of layered white noise is a bit of a stretch.

The ambience of YHF worked well. I'm concerned that they're going too far in the Radiohead direction.

Jae

Juniors
Is it illegal to have a musical opinion these days? Awell, if shite haircuts and bubblegum pop music is your thing then so be it.

les norton

First Grade
Surely the legacy of a band comes down to more than just music...I dont know.

Some of the bands mentioned (i.e beatles, Nirvana) may have had simplistic aspects to there music but the timing of it and what it created surely should be taking into account.

I dont see a band that help shaped what masses listen to as overrated.

Gotta love a good healthy debate. :D

frank

Juniors
les norton said:
Some of the bands mentioned (i.e beatles, Nirvana) may have had simplistic aspects to there music

That's the most common misconception about the Beatles music. It was anything but simple. Even their early albums had songs on them containing structures and tonal concepts that nobody had ever dreamed possible for rock/pop music.
Then when they hit their stride around the 'Revolver' era, they were so far ahead of the game it wasn't funny.

Anyone who thinks the Beatles are over-rated, please take a step back and listen closely to the music. You might surprise yourself.

Balmain_Boy

hrundi99 said:
Balmain_Boy said:

There are hundreds/thousands of bands out there that take risks.

I think Radiohead started believing their own press and disappeared up their own arseholes.

The earlier stuff like The Bends was better.

I'm a big Wilco fan and the 2 bands have been compared in recent years and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot was great but their latest has tested my patience at times. A 10 minute song consisting of layered white noise is a bit of a stretch.

The ambience of YHF worked well. I'm concerned that they're going too far in the Radiohead direction.

Yeah I take your point. I'd prefer a band experimenting and trying to expan their musical boundaries a band who release albums that all sound the same. Having said that, Radiohead have probably gone to far.

KimmorleyKiller

Juniors
how can anyone say that the beatles are overrated? odds are they were stoned when they wrote the songs so that makes it even more impressive!

1. JET

Latest posts