What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You're Ossie...

Bazal

Post Whore
this is a great example of sh*t analysis.

psychological analysis of players is mindless bullsh*t.

strategic analysis of the game on the field is right.

pop-psychology reasons for player performance is clueless. when did we all become psychologists?

eg talking what we think is happening in the minds of players is for taro card readers and astrologist. go and read your stars dikface

This is a great example of blind bias....he did analyse what he sees on the field you f**king twat. Mateo looks like he doesn't care, he looks lazy, and he goes missing. These are all examples of "analysis of the game on the field." You're just horribly pro-Mateo biased and can't see past that

parra pete

Referee
You know its funny. I was talking to my father yesterday and for the last couple of years he has raved on about the Canberra player - David Milne. He reckons that Milne is the best player he has seen and cant understand why no one else can see it too.
Maybe it just comes down to perception.
I really cannot see what anyone sees in Mateo,
I have tried, I honestly have - but I just cant see it.

Yes he can pop a great pass but one great pass in every third game doesnt make up for the lazy tackles, the dropped balls etc...
He has all the attributes to be the best player in the NRL. He does have the skill!!!! - unfortunately he just doesnt have the desire. he is too laid back and just goes missing.
Would love to see an angry Mateo. Something that says to me that Mateo cares about his performance and values the contribution he makes to the team.
I would love nothing better than to see a hard committed mateo in full flight. What a sight that would be !!!

He looks like he is playing a game of touch footy on the beach.
Posters say he is a complicated person, an enigma, but if we cant push the right buttons - whats the point.
Maybe he would be happier on the beach.
or maybe for Mateos sake and for the game generally, he would be better at another 'laid back' club (although where is there a laid back club??)

Its a simple game of numbers. IMHO mateos influence on the side is more negative than positive.
For the coin that he wants, can you imagine the lock forward that you could pick up ???

All this talk about his amazing contributions over tha last couple of years is stupid. Some of you talk him up like he was Benji Marshall !!!

We have seen about 30% of what Mateo can deliver - will we ever see the real slim shady ????? and how long are we expected to wait ????

Feleti - The beach is waiting. Throw off those thongs and lets have a run !

David Milne was injured last week playing for SouthsLogan and is sidelined AGAIN for a long period. And Fathead, I agree with your Dad, David Milne CAN play the game. He was sensational until injured and has now been replaced by Josh Dugan ---a fairly handy player as well. If David makes it back into the NRL it will be as a winger, and he is now in a line behind James Stuart, Daniel Vidot, and soon to be returning Joel Monaghan.

grapeape

Juniors
One day, just one day I would like to see an angry Feleti. Even if he pulled an angry face !!! Can you imagine what a scary sight an angry raging Feliti would be ??

why are we obsessed with the psychology of players? you cannot measure whats going on in his mind eg a players anger levels

btw... getting angry has not been popular in footy since the pre-scientific days of 1980's. goose.

CrazyEel

Bench
You see grapeape this is exactly what I mean !!! You see things in Mateo that I dont !!!
Lets respect our right to have our own views. Hell I might be wrong and you may be right !!!

One day, just one day I would like to see an angry Feleti. Even if he pulled an angry face !!! Can you imagine what a scary sight an angry raging Feliti would be ??
A reincarnation of Gorden Tallis at his best !!!

What a waste !!!!!!!!!!!!
Well said and for what it's worth totally agree with you.

Fathead

Bench
David Milne was injured last week playing for SouthsLogan and is sidelined AGAIN for a long period. And Fathead, I agree with your Dad, David Milne CAN play the game. He was sensational until injured and has now been replaced by Josh Dugan ---a fairly handy player as well. If David makes it back into the NRL it will be as a winger, and he is now in a line behind James Stuart, Daniel Vidot, and soon to be returning Joel Monaghan.

well I know one thing - Milne always tears parra a new one when we play the raiders.
Parra Pete - did you go to the game today ?
I went out there and had a great day!!

Overwhelmingly, I thought - Man what a great game this rugby league is !!!
Both teams were sensational.
Absolutely loved it !!!!

strider

Post Whore
You see grapeape this is exactly what I mean !!! You see things in Mateo that I dont !!!
Lets respect our right to have our own views. Hell I might be wrong and you may be right !!!

A reincarnation of Gorden Tallis at his best !!!

What a waste !!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't think every player needs to be an angry raging beast to be effective .... I don't expect feleti to be a beast .... I expect him to be creative in attack and hold his own in defense

watching the replay this morning I saw the bit again where we were down with 10 mins remaining feleti runs the ball, gets his arms free while drawing 2 in to tackle him, turns looks for support, none bothering to go with him, but he still wants to try something cos we are looking pretty f'ed with only 10 mins left - eventually spots someone lurking back behind a 3rd cronulla defender trying to stop the offload, tries to pop it over his head, but the defender knocks it down

now I reckon you'll all see this as feleti f'ing up trying to pop a miracle ball - but I don't .... had there been 1 f'n player bothering to run with him it wouldn't have been a miracle ball it would have been an nice offload to a running support player and who knows maybe it could have led to something? .... where the hell were the support runners? .... while I truely think hayne is an unbelievable player, I think his support play is still lacking - the fullback needs to be the guy who chimes in, but he seems to be in the frame of mind of starting all the big plays himself - i dunno, just how I feel sometimes - I reckon a guy like mckinnon running off feleti would be lethal - he's a great support player

Fathead

Bench
why are we obsessed with the psychology of players? you cannot measure whats going on in his mind ?????

Probably because psychology of the player is a valid scientific method of measuring ability, potential and performance.

btw... getting angry has not been popular in footy since the pre-scientific days of 1980's. goose.

](*,)

parra pete

Referee
well I know one thing - Milne always tears parra a new one when we play the raiders.
Parra Pete - did you go to the game today ?
I went out there and had a great day!!

Overwhelmingly, I thought - Man what a great game this rugby league is !!!
Both teams were sensational.
Absolutely loved it !!!!

Nah, I watched it on FOX, really felt for David Furner--so near yet so far. His team really had a dip, but the lapse with 20 seconds to go before half time was the telling blow.
Campo hit the posts twice, and Joel got pinged for a double move. The Raiders were stiff.
BTW, we have lined up Quentin Pongia to join with Toots Croker for our Pie in the Sky. Quentin is the Raiders head trainer, and although almost forty, he will be sensational.
David told me that Quentin is jumping out of his skin..Can't wait to have another crack. Just have to get the NRL to list the Raiders for a Friday or Monday night game....:pray:

Fathead

Bench
I don't think every player needs to be an angry raging beast to be effective .... I don't expect feleti to be a beast .... I expect him to be creative in attack and hold his own in defense

watching the replay this morning I saw the bit again where we were down with 10 mins remaining feleti runs the ball, gets his arms free while drawing 2 in to tackle him, turns looks for support, none bothering to go with him, but he still wants to try something cos we are looking pretty f'ed with only 10 mins left - eventually spots someone lurking back behind a 3rd cronulla defender trying to stop the offload, tries to pop it over his head, but the defender knocks it down

now I reckon you'll all see this as feleti f'ing up trying to pop a miracle ball - but I don't .... had there been 1 f'n player bothering to run with him it wouldn't have been a miracle ball it would have been an nice offload to a running support player and who knows maybe it could have led to something? .... where the hell were the support runners? .... while I truely think hayne is an unbelievable player, I think his support play is still lacking - the fullback needs to be the guy who chimes in, but he seems to be in the frame of mind of starting all the big plays himself - i dunno, just how I feel sometimes - I reckon a guy like mckinnon running off feleti would be lethal - he's a great support player

Strider - You make some good points. we dont have the runners supporting him. I never said I was completely right - its just my opinion. I just dont rate him. Too laid back and carefree in a business that demands he puts in 100%.

Fathead

Bench
Nah, I watched it on FOX, really felt for David Furner--so near yet so far. His team really had a dip, but the lapse with 20 seconds to go before half time was the telling blow.
Campo hit the posts twice, and Joel got pinged for a double move. The Raiders were stiff.
BTW, we have lined up Quentin Pongia to join with Toots Croker for our Pie in the Sky. Quentin is the Raiders head trainer, and although almost forty, he will be sensational.
David told me that Quentin is jumping out of his skin..Can't wait to have another crack. Just have to get the NRL to list the Raiders for a Friday or Monday night game....:pray:

Great. Mate of mine who is a raiders fan reckons that they will win it in 2 years time. hard to argue. They have a really young, sensationally talented team. I hope they stick together.
Its usually cold down there but It was just a glorious day!!!
AND - again ... how talented is that Benji Marshall ??????
Im picking the Tigers to go all the way.

parra pete

Referee
Great. Mate of mine who is a raiders fan reckons that they will win it in 2 years time. hard to argue. They have a really young, sensationally talented team. I hope they stick together.
Its usually cold down there but It was just a glorious day!!!
AND - again ... how talented is that Benji Marshall ??????
Im picking the Tigers to go all the way.

There is a bit more talent coming through too. Mick Picker, currently playing with SLM in the Qld Cup is a terrific prospect. I know David is very keen on his teams prospects of getting into the eight this year. Hope so, because they don't come much better than him. One of the codes true gentleman.
Wests will be even stronger when the other big winger comes back. Melbourne Storm will be hard, but I think it is too early to write the Eels off. Things turn around quickly...
Passes will start to stick, out of form players will hit their straps, and we'll all be saying.
"We're Back..."

Avenger

Immortal
There is a bit more talent coming through too. Mick Picker, currently playing with SLM in the Qld Cup is a terrific prospect. I know David is very keen on his teams prospects of getting into the eight this year. Hope so, because they don't come much better than him. One of the codes true gentleman.
Wests will be even stronger when the other big winger comes back. Melbourne Storm will be hard, but I think it is too early to write the Eels off. Things turn around quickly...
Passes will start to stick, out of form players will hit their straps, and we'll all be saying.
"We're Back..."

Would you drop Robson from halfback?

yy_cheng

Coach

this is how I see it too.

Mateo tries in attack. He tries to do what he does best but he is not getting any support. Yes it could be Hayne but I think players like KK and Mortz should be following not Hayne. Hayne is now responsible to setup other plays, clear kicks, etc. He won't be in position for that if he is always supporting.

In defense however, I don't think Mateo is lazy, he just has a poor technique. Ala Vella.
He needs to change his defense technically to be more effective. Since he is big, he could tackle like Benny boy but if he doesn't like that, he can go for the Robson low tackles.

Fathead

Bench
"We're Back..."

Yeah I dont know Pete to be perfectly honest. we are a long way from the top teams in terms of being able to put solid back to back performances together. we are a diamonds or rocks team. You never know what you are going to get with the eels.
Im picking the eels to miss the 8 this year.

Fathead

Bench
this is how I see it too.

Mateo tries in attack. He tries to do what he does best but he is not getting any support. Yes it could be Hayne but I think players like KK and Mortz should be following not Hayne. Hayne is now responsible to setup other plays, clear kicks, etc. He won't be in position for that if he is always supporting.

In defense however, I don't think Mateo is lazy, he just has a poor technique. Ala Vella.
He needs to change his defense technically to be more effective. Since he is big, he could tackle like Benny boy but if he doesn't like that, he can go for the Robson low tackles.

He is a 110 Kg , 188cms back rower. His job is to do the hard work. He rarely runs the ball back into the line. He rarely dominates an opponent in a tackle.
Maybe he needs to play 5/8 because he really doesnt cut it as a lock forward.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
My opinion is Mateo tried to hard last night as no one else apart from Hayne was going to set up a attacking play. Plus a few of his drop balls were a little unlucky.

yy_cheng

Coach
He is a 110 Kg , 188cms back rower. His job is to do the hard work. He rarely runs the ball back into the line. He rarely dominates an opponent in a tackle.
Maybe he needs to play 5/8 because he really doesnt cut it as a lock forward.

But the whole point is the team balance not the number on his back.

Otherwise, our 7 and 9 are out of position too!

A back row of Oake, Hindy, Smith does not excite me especially with Caylo starting.

You end up with a slow, defensive pack:

Oake, Hindy, Smith, Caylo, MK

Fui would be the only one to get us on the front foot.

Poore is sitting on the fence on this one.

Mateo brings in the attacking balance as we have the defensive toilers there including our 7.

Lastly, I think Mateo makes good metres on hitups. His loose carry is not positive but his hitups are metre making and I rarely see him pushed back.

natheel

Coach
i can't believe im going to say this but....let him go and invest in a player like Lee Te'Maree (how ever u spell it) i mean sure this guys had baggage but hes shown promise and i think in an environment like parra he would flourish

that gives us the chance to keep KK and INU and at this stage ill take INU over Mateo at least INU has shown little glimpses

Fathead

Bench
With his size, Mateo should be absolutely smashing blokes in tackles !!
when was the last time mateo sat someone squarely on their backside ????
Even Morts who weighs the same as mateos left leg has more aggression in his defensive plays than mateo !!
Big body, pea heart.

natheel

Coach
With his size, Mateo should be absolutely smashing blokes in tackles !!
when was the last time mateo sat someone squarely on their backside ????
Even Morts who weighs the same as mateos left leg has more aggression in his defensive plays than mateo !!
Big body, pea heart.

actually just on morts....to come back 'under weight' from gastro?? he did a good job against sharks. hes like a dog at a bone in tackle (excuse the pun) he reminds me of kimmorley kicks the ball down field and 9 times outta 10 he's the one who tackles the bloke running back. this is the urgency the WHOLE team should have.