What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You're Ossie...

Bigfella

Coach
I don't think anderson rates Mateo that highly - and it is reflecting in his contributions. Playing hi
as a non-ball playing forward is a disaster. He has so much more to offer it is a crying shame.

strider

Post Whore
So 4 rounds of football are worth more than 3 years now? Mateo was one of the best players in the grand final which wasn't so long ago. Sure he isn't playing well at the moment but I'm staggered at the hysterics being displayed by some of the supporters on here.

I will 2nd that.

x3

again, you've missed the point, I've already indicated that I would offer Feleti 200K, so would I be correct to assume that we should do everything possible to keep him? shall we cop a 400K or more sallary bill to keep him given that rumours are that the Warriors have offered that amount.

I don't give a toss what your intention was, you make a thread like this about a player after 3.5 sh*t performances from our team to start the year and it is was ALWAYS going to turn into a feleti bash - you should know that .... this thread isn't exactly designed to highlight his good points is it?

PS: its round 4 - he's been going no worse than 75% of the team - i think he's still worth 300K if his teammates support him and he's given the chance to do what he does best

yy_cheng

Coach
I don't take it back...and that was Smith's first NRL game in 2 years, he was always going to play well against his old club, they all do, so lets touch in a few months..meanwhile Robo helped us make a grand final, which was Something Smith failed to do in 2005.

Iunlike you guys I'm more concerned about how mentally weak we are not what difference Smith would of made to this side, which I still think wouldn't have been much at all..

Besides the off field antics, Timmy's problem was defense. If he gets that sorted or have assistance (Carrol/Lockyer) he would have added a very very good kicking game to this team. Something that we are missing sorely.

At $55K, that would've been worth a risk imho.

Robson have chosen all the wrong kicking options.

Even though we find it hard to get out of our own end, Timmy's long range kicking and ability to regain position from grubbers is what we are missing.

THose kicks will get the team happy and in the right frame of mind. It will take pressure off Hayne too.

If we have another player who could do this, then fine, forget timmy but back then at $55k it was a steal.

People don't mind if Robbo or Mortz goes missing in attack. But if Timmy went missing in attack, he was crucified. Mortz is a $250K player now, we should expect more.

strider

Post Whore
i don't want to turn this into a tim smith love fest after 1 game - but his kicking game yesterday was light years ahead of anything we've trundled out in recent history

Juniors
i am over us paying overs for our players on past performances, Feleti is one of my favourite players but i would not pay him over $200k...In fact if we offload him i would rather start chasing some of those canberra forwards off contract...they seem to breed them good down that way..

Gronk

Staff member
Mateo fails to deliver more often than not. How long do we have to wait for him to play at his "potential" ? Blocker was right yesterday when he said that teams have worked him out and capitalize on his lose carries.

Juniors
We are playing really really dumb football....which has made me realise we have too many dumb footballers in our team..too much 1 dimensional stuff will not get you far even with the skill level we have.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I don't give a toss what your intention was, you make a thread like this about a player after 3.5 sh*t performances from our team to start the year and it is was ALWAYS going to turn into a feleti bash - you should know that .... this thread isn't exactly designed to highlight his good points is it?

PS: its round 4 - he's been going no worse than 75% of the team - i think he's still worth 300K if his teammates support him and he's given the chance to do what he does best

again, this was never designed to bash Feleti or any other player, if you know me well enough than you'd know how much I hate to target individuals about our performance. I did however make it clear on more than one occasion that I would not offer him anymore than 200K, if that's bagging the bloke than I hope someone bags me one day...

fish eel

Immortal
I'd play feleti at 5/8 and move mortimer to the 7.

Ben Smith, Hindmarsh and Horo for the back row.

We're offering so little in attack, I dont think we can afford to do without a ball player like mateo. He is crucial to us IMO. HIs form reflects most of the other guys.

f**k knows what happened in the off season, we've regressed to where we were at the start of last season.

bartman

Immortal
And you're sitting at the negotiating table with Feleti Mateo opposite you, he has an offer on the table from Warriors for 350K and an offer from the dogs for about 325K...

what do we offer???

I would say 200K for 2 years take it or leave it.

*waits for grapeape to post 550K*
Agree, either that or just let him go outright if the main concern is the money rather than playing with pride for his team.

There's a few guys running around out there this year only concerned with the dollars imo. That's the big off-season change since last year's run where they played for each other.

strider

Post Whore
again, this was never designed to bash Feleti or any other player, if you know me well enough than you'd know how much I hate to target individuals about our performance. I did however make it clear on more than one occasion that I would not offer him anymore than 200K, if that's bagging the bloke than I hope someone bags me one day...
I'm not saying YOU are bashing him (altho you are clearly of the opinion he's not going well - fair enough) - BUT if you make a thread singling out a guy for not performing to a high level then you MUST know its going to turn into a bash

Fathead

Bench
Stagger - Im pretty sure that i answered your point although I did have a go at 'The myth'

lets qualify my answer - I would offer him zero, nada, nothing, ziltch, in fact I would pay to get rid of the pretender.
If the warriors are offering 350K for him now I wouldnt be wasting my time arguing about it !!

lucablight

First Grade
Stagger - Im pretty sure that i answered your point although I did have a go at 'The myth'

lets qualify my answer - I would offer him zero, nada, nothing, ziltch, in fact I would pay to get rid of the pretender.
If the warriors are offering 350K for him now I wouldnt be wasting my time arguing about it !!

Fathead I think you have a very short memory. Calling Mateo a myth based on 4 rounds after the amazing football he has played for us since his debut in 2007 is very misguided IMO.

mickdo

Coach
That's the big off-season change since last year's run where they played for each other.

You're forgetting that it took over half a season of playing like dogs balls to end up with them playing for each other. The big off-season change is that it's a new season again.

grapeape

Juniors
And you're sitting at the negotiating table with Feleti Mateo opposite you, he has an offer on the table from Warriors for 350K and an offer from the dogs for about 325K...

what do we offer???

I would say 200K for 2 years take it or leave it.

*waits for grapeape to post 550K*

i reckon he should be on 550k

Fathead

Bench
Fathead I think you have a very short memory. Calling Mateo a myth based on 4 rounds after the amazing football he has played for us since his debut in 2007 is very misguided IMO.

You know its funny. I was talking to my father yesterday and for the last couple of years he has raved on about the Canberra player - David Milne. He reckons that Milne is the best player he has seen and cant understand why no one else can see it too.
Maybe it just comes down to perception.
I really cannot see what anyone sees in Mateo,
I have tried, I honestly have - but I just cant see it.

Yes he can pop a great pass but one great pass in every third game doesnt make up for the lazy tackles, the dropped balls etc...
He has all the attributes to be the best player in the NRL. He does have the skill!!!! - unfortunately he just doesnt have the desire. he is too laid back and just goes missing.
Would love to see an angry Mateo. Something that says to me that Mateo cares about his performance and values the contribution he makes to the team.
I would love nothing better than to see a hard committed mateo in full flight. What a sight that would be !!!

He looks like he is playing a game of touch footy on the beach.
Posters say he is a complicated person, an enigma, but if we cant push the right buttons - whats the point.
Maybe he would be happier on the beach.
or maybe for Mateos sake and for the game generally, he would be better at another 'laid back' club (although where is there a laid back club??)

Its a simple game of numbers. IMHO mateos influence on the side is more negative than positive.
For the coin that he wants, can you imagine the lock forward that you could pick up ???

All this talk about his amazing contributions over tha last couple of years is stupid. Some of you talk him up like he was Benji Marshall !!!

We have seen about 30% of what Mateo can deliver - will we ever see the real slim shady ????? and how long are we expected to wait ????

Feleti - The beach is waiting. Throw off those thongs and lets have a run !

grapeape

Juniors
the boys are off till wednesday.

Ando told them to clear their heads of footy and think of how we can get things right, come up with some new ideas.

there will be some positional/strategic changes.

feleti is wasted out wide so far this year. he catching it with no space every time (notice that?). In the coming rounds he will come back to the centre of the park were he can inject himself after fast play-the-balls and spot weak/tired defenders. then by getting the opposition on the back-foot we can get tahu/inu more early ball.

(stagger, this is analysis).

talking about how much money players are on is for bitchass librarian nerds. Clearly u dont know sh*t about footy when the teams are offering double what u think is fair.

grapeape

Juniors
unfortunately he just doesnt have the desire. he is too laid back and just goes missing.
Would love to see an angry Mateo. Something that says to me that Mateo cares about his performance and values the contribution he makes to the team.
I would love nothing better than to see a hard committed mateo in full flight. What a sight that would be !!!

He looks like he is playing a game of touch footy on the beach.
Posters say he is a complicated person, an enigma, but if we cant push the right buttons - whats the point.
Maybe he would be happier on the beach.
or maybe for Mateos sake and for the game generally, he would be better at another 'laid back' club (although where is there a laid back club??)

Feleti - The beach is waiting. Throw off those thongs and lets have a run !

this is a great example of sh*t analysis.

psychological analysis of players is mindless bullsh*t.

strategic analysis of the game on the field is right.

pop-psychology reasons for player performance is clueless. when did we all become psychologists?

eg talking what we think is happening in the minds of players is for taro card readers and astrologist. go and read your stars dikface

Fathead

Bench
You see grapeape this is exactly what I mean !!! You see things in Mateo that I dont !!!
Lets respect our right to have our own views. Hell I might be wrong and you may be right !!!

One day, just one day I would like to see an angry Feleti. Even if he pulled an angry face !!! Can you imagine what a scary sight an angry raging Feliti would be ??
A reincarnation of Gorden Tallis at his best !!!

What a waste !!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts