What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

giboz71

First Grade
If he takes the same route as Dufty, then I haven’t got a problem.

Play him in ISP to start the season and perhaps play the last 5-6 rounds in FG.

Dufty benefited from a few games in ISP playing against men instead of U20’s.

BennyV

Referee
It all depends on communications and Lomax's attitude. If the coaching staff are open with him and let him know that he's got a future here and the intention is for him to develop against men for most of this year with a view to start next year, and Zac is happy with that, then that's fine.

Life's Good

Coach
Last year it was Dufty won’t get a run but his form in ISP(off a strong 20s campaign)meant he got the call when the time came.
I can’t see it being any different for Lomax after his debut v. Hull.
Thing is, he has to earn it as well.

possm

Coach
Last year it was Dufty won’t get a run but his form in ISP(off a strong 20s campaign)meant he got the call when the time came.
I can’t see it being any different for Lomax after his debut v. Hull.
Thing is, he has to earn it as well.
My tip is that if Dufty fails or is injured, it will be Lomax ahead of Field for first grade fullback. Reason is size and defence.

SBD82

Coach
Been burned a lot of times by promising juniors who haven't made it.

Apparently I haven't learned my lesson yet.

I'm well and truly aboard the lomax hype train.

Life's Good

Coach
My tip is that if Dufty fails or is injured, it will be Lomax ahead of Field for first grade fullback. Reason is size and defence.

Lomax is just coming out of puberty. I'd rather he get a chance to prove his talent in the position he has played most of his junior career in before placing him in arguably one of the most important positions on the field.

Also, Dufty hasn't shown signs of failure as yet. Lets get behind him first.

possm

Coach
Lomax is just coming out of puberty. I'd rather he get a chance to prove his talent in the position he has played most of his junior career in before placing him in arguably one of the most important positions on the field.

Also, Dufty hasn't shown signs of failure as yet. Lets get behind him first.
Does anyone know how old Aitken was when he made his debut? I'm pretty sure Tedesco was 18 when he made his debut. Surely, if a players shows the skills, has the body shape, speed and talent, there should be no reason to select him on form.

Life's Good

Coach
Does anyone know how old Aitken was when he made his debut? I'm pretty sure Tedesco was 18 when he made his debut. Surely, if a players shows the skills, has the body shape, speed and talent, there should be no reason to select him on form.

Other than a spot not being available.

BennyV

Referee
Lol Aitken has failed to develop since his debut and Tedesco spent his first 2 seasons on the sidelines through injury.

Drakon

Juniors
And what age were they?
Aitken debuted in March 2015 - about 3 weeks short of his 20th birthday.
Tedesco debuted at about 19 and 2 months but did his ACL in the first game of the season. (2012) He didn't play again till round 4 of 2013.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Tim Brasher was still going to school, when he debuted for Balmain, they went all the way to the Grand Final too and Brasher was great.

Brett Rodwell is another who was playing centre very well as an 18 year old. He played in the Panasonic Cup (mid week comp) final in his debut year

Laurie Daley debuted at 17 and was brilliant. He was playing origin at 18

Brad Fittler debuted at 17, while still at school, he played in a grand final in his rookie year and went on the Kangaroo Tour that year.

Andrew Ettingshausen debuted at 17 and had a long and successful career.

Reg Gasnier debuted at 17, went on to become an Immortal.

Phil Blake debuted at 18 and won Dally M Rookie of the year, he also played in the Grand Final that year

Brad Mackay debuted at 18 in the centres before moving to lock later in his career. He was playing origin by the time he was 20.

Greg Inglis debuted at 18. He played origin and for Australia the next year.

Jamie Lyon debuted at 18 and was playing for Australia the next season.

Steve Rogers debuted at 18, he played for NSW and Australia the same year.

Mal Meninga debuted at 18 in the Brisbane league

Brett Mullins debuted at 18. Canberra won the comp that year.

Darren Lockyer debuted at 18, he was playing reps by aged 20.

Terry Hill debuted at 18

John Simon debuted at 17.

If they're good enough, they're old enough.

Last edited:

goggles

Juniors
Adam Ritson was 16 from memory and playing in the front row (under the tutelage of one of the best props to ever play the game). You can't just take a blanket approach - you need to judge each individual player's size, maturity and skill levels and make the call form there.

Old Timer

Coach
Tim Brasher was still going to school, when he debuted for Balmain, they went all the way to the Grand Final too and Brasher was great.

Brett Rodwell is another who was playing centre very well as an 18 year old. He played in the Panasonic Cup (mid week comp) final in his debut year

Laurie Daley debuted at 17 and was brilliant. He was playing origin at 18

Brad Fittler debuted at 17, while still at school, he played in a grand final in his rookie year and went on the Kangaroo Tour that year.

Andrew Ettingshausen debuted at 17 and had a long and successful career.

Reg Gasnier debuted at 17, went on to become an Immortal.

Phil Blake debuted at 18 and won Dally M Rookie of the year, he also played in the Grand Final that year

Brad Mackay debuted at 18 in the centres before moving to lock later in his career. He was playing origin by the time he was 20.

Greg Inglis debuted at 18. He played origin and for Australia the next year.

Jamie Lyon debuted at 18 and was playing for Australia the next season.

Steve Rogers debuted at 18, he played for NSW and Australia the same year.

Mal Meninga debuted at 18 in the Brisbane league

Brett Mullins debuted at 18. Canberra won the comp that year.

Darren Lockyer debuted at 18, he was playing reps by aged 20.

Terry Hill debuted at 18

John Simon debuted at 17.

If they're good enough, they're old enough.
I basically agree with “if good enough old enough” however there is no doubt the game is very different now to back then and the season is much longer.
I think all the wrestling & grappling takes a lot of toll on young bodies so they face a few more hurdles.
If the chance presents we should accept that the young man should be picked with confidence not scepticism.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I would say it is more likely that Mann goes to 1 or 6 and Aitken/Lafai plays centre .. but happy for you to keep your dream alive.

There is absolutely no way that Mann will be considered for fullback again.

I'm not saying this is fair, just pointing out that McGregor has had ample opportunities to give him another go, and has failed to do so.

Gareth67

First Grade
Would like nothing better than these juniors to make their mark on the game early on. However as pointed out by others we must ensure that they are indeed ready to make the jump fron the '20 squad into the big arena where playing against more larger built players is the norm .

Lomax certainly looks the goods , there's no doubting that , but I like gizbo71 reasoning , play him in n the ISP and hardened his body for the more physically demanding 1st grade . By doing this we won't be throwing him to the wolves and breaking his spirit should he fail at his first few games in the NRL .

Instead we shall have a stronger and more confident young man who will be better prepared when the call does go out to him , whether that be later this season or next , one thing is for sure , when he is a permanent member of the Dragons top grade , we will all have ourselves a very good player to cheer about .

Last edited:

Latest posts