What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

hewi

Bench
Fox League from Fox Sports
March 12th, 2024 1:00 pm
The Dragons have reportedly declined a request from the Eels to open negotiations with wantaway centre Zac Lomax regarding an immediate switch.
That is according to the SMH who are reporting Parramatta officials approached St George Illawarra bosses to enquire about his position at the club.
They were reportedly informed that Lomax won’t be going anywhere for the remaining two years on his current contract.
Lomax himself was reportedly open to the move and his move to sit down with rival clubs was reportedly also denied.
He is currently earning around $800,000 per-season and has reportedly been frustrated in pre-season ahead of the club’s 2024 campaign.
His angst reportedly centres around Shane Flanagan’s decision to move him one position out and play on the wing, with Jack Bird taking his spot in the centres.
Dragons officials will reportedly sit down with their star outside back after Round 4 to discuss their options.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Still don't see Birdy finishing the year at center.

He's fitter now and doing what Flanno wants however, the poor block looked a shattered man last year and good on him for coming back strong this year.

Lomax wants to play center as it's a bit strange that he is cranky after Flanno has on board after Hook.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Flanno only had to say, "sorry Zac you're contracted for another 2 seasons".

End of conversation.

That fact it was reported that Flanno said we'll review it at the end of this season is in line with being a free agent come Nov1. Only then can he field offers or speak to other clubs (officially) and Flanno might say "go for gold" see what you can get offered.

The interesting equation is if Lomax does play SOO as a winger and had a pretty good season as a winger. Would we not open negotiations early to retain him by upgrading his current contract, backed with the full knowledge that without a switch to wing he probably wouldn't even be looked at as a rep centre. If his form trails off, then who is going to pay the 500-800k (depending on who you believe) for a disgruntled winger. Then there's the chance this season to play centre, if Bird is injured or just loses his mind, or even fullback, or even both.

Just remember we hold all the aces in this negotiation, or if it even is a negotiation.

SAP58

Juniors
Without doubt Zac has a big ego, I went to a meet the players function last year & whilst most players were happy to meet the fans Zac appeared to be the opposite. Zac should sit down with a Dragons legend like Jason Nightingale who was & did play any position for the club without complaint & always performed at his best. I am confident Flanno is the man to control his ego & get him back on track, I also have my doubts Bird’s body will last a whole season without some rest periods forced or unforced.

hasnt times changed in "yesteryear" players were moved out of position by coaches to better the team and players just accepted it
billy smith centre to half back / steve morris half to centre / creagh and beau scott centre to 2nd row / mcinness hooker to lock/ ribot forward to winger the list would be endless . Now the age of entitlement and throwing your toys out of the crib .
one thing is certain if zac does start kicking cans and wants out saints wont be paying another club anything to take zac off our hands
How many times did Matt Prior get moved around from lock to centre or front row. I don't remember him arcing up and asking for a release.
In fact, we cut him - didn't we?

TruSaint

Referee
Without doubt Zac has a big ego, I went to a meet the players function last year & whilst most players were happy to meet the fans Zac appeared to be the opposite. Zac should sit down with a Dragons legend like Jason Nightingale who was & did play any position for the club without complaint & always performed at his best. I am confident Flanno is the man to control his ego & get him back on track, I also have my doubts Bird’s body will last a whole season without some rest periods forced or unforced.

Flo is everything Zac isn't. Nightingale was Saints through and through. He is on record saying he rejected more money to stay.

I'm sick and tired of players taking us as a pisstake. From Hunt to Lomax, I hope Flanno stands firm and puts what is best for the team ahead of egos.

Turn the page Saints. Rip off the bandages that have held us back.

SAP58

Juniors
Flo is everything Zac isn't. Nightingale was Saints through and through. He is on record saying he rejected more money to stay.

I'm sick and tired of players taking us as a pisstake. From Hunt to Lomax, I hope Flanno stands firm and puts what is best for the team ahead of egos.

Very well said !

SAP58

Juniors
Without doubt the problem these days are the managers, they are trying to get every cent out of the players & create unrest with their clients despite having existing contracts. Players in the past either did their own deals or had control of their managers. These days managers control their clients who generally can be easily led & get blinded by the dollars on offer. If it continues in this way I am concerned about the longevity of the NRL.

Illusion

Bench

Don't understand it if you sign a contract you should see it out full stop .......

hewi

Bench

How Zac Lomax on the wing could ensure the Dragons are Built Different in 2024​

One of the NRL’s biggest positional swaps for 2024 got off to a flying start on Saturday.​

Scott Pryde
SCOTT PRYDE
EDITOR | MARCH 13, 2024 - 2:43PM
https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php...e-dragons-are-built-different-in-2024-207040/
https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?te...uilt-different-in-2024-207040/&via=zerotackle
https://www.zerotackle.com/how-zac-...-dragons-are-built-different-in-2024-207040/#
NRL Rd 16 - Dragons v Raiders
WOLLONGONG, AUSTRALIA - JULY 03: Zac Lomax of the Dragons celebrates winning the round 16 NRL match between the St George Illawarra Dragons and the Canberra Raiders at WIN Stadium, on July 03, 2022, in Wollongong, Australia. (Photo by Mark Nolan/Getty Images)

The positional swap of St George Illawarra Dragons' outside back Zac Lomax has been one of the big talking points coming into the 2024 season.
A prodigiously talented centre, Lomax has often been talked about as a future State of Origin player.
And it's not hard to see why. On his day, he is close to unstoppable. He breaks tackles for fun, has excellent passing and offloading ability, and has the footwork to match.
Defensively, he has also had nice moments throughout his career to date.
But consistency has been the key problem at this point in the young centre's career. Despite playing 94 NRL games, it's difficult to remember a time when Lomax has held strong form for long periods at a time.
The 24-year-old struggled particularly throughout the 2023 campaign, the first half of which was under Anthony Griffin.
Plenty of Lomax's issues could well be attributed to Griffin's coaching and the mind-numbing decision which saw he and fellow centre Moses Suli change sides of the field during the first half of last season.
NRL Rd 4 - Eels v Dragons
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - APRIL 03: Moses Suli of the Dragons passes as he is tackled during the round four NRL match between the Parramatta Eels and the St George Illawarra Dragons at CommBank Stadium, on April 03, 2022, in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)
In analysis conducted by this masthead in early May last year, it was proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the decision just didn't work. Suli and Lomax both went backwards, not just in attack but also in defensive outputs.
Lomax was eventually dropped in the final weeks of Griffin's tenure, but recalled, with interim coach Ryan Carr correcting the dismal decision and playing Suli and Lomax back on their correct sides of the park.
Things improved for Lomax during the second half of the year, but still not to the extent needed, with moments of madness continuing. Most notable were those flick passes over the sideline, which almost became a running joke among fans of other clubs.
According to all reports, this led to new Dragons' coach Shane Flanagan sitting down with Lomax during the off-season and explaining to him that he wasn't among the top 20 NRL centres by the numbers.
Undoubtedly, for a player on what is believed to be around $800,000 per year, that is a ridiculously tough pill to swallow, but it's also a tough thing to grasp for the club who have poured so many resources into the centre.
While Flanagan had spoken about the potential of Lomax transitioning into the fullback role this season, it was eventually determined he would start the year on the wing. Tyrell Sloan, who, like Lomax, has struggled for consistency during his short NRLcareer to date, clung onto the number one jersey to start the new campaign.
While there is no guarantee it will stay that way for the entirety of the campaign, there have been plenty of rumblings out of the Dragons around the future of Lomax.
The centre-turned-winger reportedly wants out and has other clubs interested. The Sydney Roosters and Parramatta Eels are both on the lookout for new outside backs. It's almost certain that other clubs will enter the fray for someone with Lomax's talent throughout the year, and his Round 1 performance is sure to only heighten the question around his future.
NRL Rd 1 - Titans v Dragons
GOLD COAST, AUSTRALIA - MARCH 09: Zac Lomax of the Dragons is congratulated by team mates after scoring a try during the round one NRL match between the Gold Coast Titans and St George Illawarra Dragons at Cbus Super Stadium, on March 09, 2024, in Gold Coast, Australia. (Photo by Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images)
For all the speculation though, Lomax can't go anywhere without the blessing of the Dragons given his contract, and they have made it abundantly clear that it won't be happening this year, although have refused to rule out the prospect of a release heading into 2025 and beyond.
But then, Lomax took his move to the wing as well as he could have in a Round 1 win over the Titans.
Widely tipped to ‘win' the wooden spoon this year, the Red V played one of their best games in years, putting the Titans to the sword in a beatdown during the opening round. Lomax was without doubt one of the best on the park in his new position.
Scoring a try, Lomax came up with an awesome 266 running metres, a couple of line breaks, some tackle breaks, an offload, and was heavily involved in the contest while also holding up his end of the bargain in defence.
The jury is still out on his centre replacement Jack Bird, who Shane Flanagan views as just that - a centre rather than a utility - but he wasn't a disappointment in the Gold Coast clash.
What Lomax brings that the Dragons haven't had in recent years on the wing is a high rugby league IQ, some flashy moves and, judging by the opener, a player looking to get involved at every opportunity.
That - getting involved and making big metres - is what Mikaele Ravalawa has turned himself into on the other side of the park. Still, any successful side has two metre-eating wingers who can hold their own up in other elements.
You only need to look at what the Penrith Panthers have done in recent years, with 2023 seeing fullback Dylan Edwards and wingers Brian To'o and Sunia Turuva all in the top ten for running metres across the season.
That is the sort of thing the Dragons need to be successful given they are still likely to be let down in some other areas of their game, even with improvements in fitness and structure under the coaching of Flanagan, who is the best boss at the club since Wayne Bennett left at the end of 2011.
That doesn't mean he is perfect, and there will still be bumps in the road for the Red V, but Lomax on the wing after a week looks a better prospect than Lomax has in the centres.
Given Lomax's reported frustration, there is still plenty of water to pass under the proverbial bridge here, but that didn't carry over to his game. With more performances like Saturday's, there is no reason he can't be a serious game-breaker for the Dragons this year.

If Lomax reflects upon his round 1 performance he will realise he has a better chance to affect the game from wing where he gets more ball, returning kicks and rucking the ball out from are quarter.

He can inject himself into the game more easily than from centre and can act as a second fullback.

The more involved he gets in the game, the greater his value moving forward.

Dragon David

First Grade
Works that way in most places in life @Illusion.
But this is the NRL, where contracts mean very little to a lot of players and their managers.
Why aren't the contracts water tight? I think that once the club and the player reach agreement and sign the contract, the club and the player should have to see out the contract to the end of the agreed term, subject to conditions that allows a club or a player to end it and these conditions are not like the player needs to break the contract for "personal" reasons. The reason for breaking the contract has to be something of major concern and certainly not for reasons that the player might be able to get more money elsewhere. If the player is granted a release of his contract then whatever the balance of the term left, the player has to pay an amount to the club as a "release fee".

It is like when a tenant wants to break a lease early, he or she has to pay a break fee.

Contracts can be and are broken I know but there should be hard and fast rules to prevent them from happening. What about the classic case of Tevita Pangai Junior breaking his contract to fulfil his dream of boxing. What a load of rubbish on how the Dogs and he parted ways and now Tevita is back playing for Souths Logan Magpies in the Queensland Cup - boxing my arse - maybe a bout of boxing a year for him. He wants to play for the Broncos again for sure and he will. So there are ways of breaking a contract to go elsewhere and the Dogs are happy because they didn't want him anyway and used his money to help sign some rejects. hahahaha!

Come on Zac. Give it up. You love the Dragons and you will be a hero for us. Just hang in there with us.

TheRev

First Grade
I actually dont know if Lomax could be as useful at centre.. He can still take the short kickoffs and chase a kick.. he can still do some carries.. but for someone who is so fit and strong (the best wrestler at the club and one of the fittest if not the fittest).. if he can keep up that kind of workload he did last week.. that is a huge bonus to the overall side.. and hence the dragons chance of winning.. seems like he is being wasted at centre.

Latest posts