What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Round 6 onwards as a development player and only contracted for 2024…… means we can start negotiating with Ethan or 5 NSW cup games (which ever comes first)

Now that would be a good win for us if we pulled it off and allowed Lomax to go this year and Ethan was allowed to join us this year.

very interesting timing.

Nurture Ethan to 5/8 later in the season to get ready for a bigger 2025

Flano Jnr to 9 or 14 when the time is right

hmmmmm we have given Parra and Lomax a green light if they want it

they could have intimated they might do similar and so to Sanders management ??

Nurture Ethan to 5/8
He is a half back. Only 18 needs plenty of nurturing. Bring him here to be in the running to replace the sook for '25 with our own young gun halves. No way will he be a direct swap for Zac. He and perhaps a respected prop or back rower, tho with the extension of Frank Molo a prop may not be needed. Not sure why we extended him, has been inconsistent, rarely runs 100m. Vili Fifita has done his apprenticeship, he shud be next cab off the rank imho. Have to say I dislike some of Flanagans recruiting and retension.

Last edited:

kit66

Bench
Now that the club has announced Lomax is a free agent for 2025 onwards I'm wondering if Parra will slow things down, maybe try to haggle with Lomax' manager to get a better deal. I was also wondering if Parra see Lomax as a possible replacement, eventually for the aging Gutho as he's readymade for that role. He kicks goals, makes good metres and is a better defender by far than Gutho and can learn/ improve his attacking capabilities from the back.

Dragon David

First Grade
From what I have heard it is nothing to do with Flanno or the players but the club in general. Lomax not happy with how the club operates or where they are heading which I find strange. The source of this is from a mate of his but he would not elaborate anymore in respect for Zac. Whether that is true or not nobody knows.

It's done and dusted now so we must move on and hope he continues this form for the rest of the season as he has been awesome every game. If he does not perform it will be simple for Flanno to drop him now seeing he will not be part of the future so if he wants to play NRL in 2024, he has to put in 100%. If he gets selected for NSW he has Flanno to thank as he would not get picked otherwise. That in it self is crazy if that happens as he is leaving a coach who has taken him to the next level of his career and that is playing reps to a new coach that simply may not like his attitude and drop him after a few games. Lets face it he has had issues with Hook in the past and some say is pi$$ed with Flanno because he was moved to wing so may be a prickly character and the good coaches don't take that crap from players.
Flanno answers plenty of questions on Lomax's situation in his Round 5 v Newcastle preview - "not wanting to be at the club".

Victoire

Juniors
Ok after a day or so I'm seeing some rationale. Apologies for the wall of text!

From a simple perspective, Lomax is on marquee money and is not providing marquee player results.
If it's true that "with great power comes great responsibility", then with great money comes great expectations.
Flanagan leaked that stat about him being the 22nd best centre etc which is undoubtedly preparing Lomax for his imminent positional switch, and maybe preparing the fanbase for his departure.

Additionally, perhaps there is a perception that Lomax has unearned arrogance. There is nothing at all wrong with being arrogant, in fact it's often a huge advantage for a football player. However it must be earned.
For example Lomax will be inextricably linked to Hunt now, but Hunt has earned his arrogance. He's a multiple Test and Origin player (and winner), he's played umpteen finals matches and a grand final. He's the club captain. He's earned the right to be arrogant. He should be! Meanwhile Lomax has 2 finals matches 6 years ago and a couple of PM's XIII jerseys.

Then there's the Jack Bird scenario. Obviously I'd take Lomax over Bird at centre on a pure talent basis. But Flanagan is an experienced premiership winning coach, and I gotta trust his choice. Bird, also, is a winner. He's played Origin, and he's the only player on our books who's won a comp. He's also earned whatever arrogance he might display.

Zac is playing great football at the moment. His performances right now reminds me of the great Jason Nightingale at his absolute peak - 2010/2011/2012. Gypsy was 100% effort every game - chasing and leaping for every bomb, doing the hard carries frequently, wielding his physicality with opposing wingers, and of course, scoring tries.

Even at his brilliant peak, however, Nightingale never was in our top 2 most highly paid players. Probably barely cracked the top 5 in his career. Yet he had a premiership victory and 30+ Tests for New Zealand on his resume.
I also recall when Jason was 21 or so - and already 3 years into his NRL career - when a well-credentialled coach came into the club and shifted him out of his preferred position. He played on the bench. Occasionally coming on into the backline but mostly playing as a middle forward! Nightingale, didn't ask for a release. He stuck around and went on to become a living legend of the club.

Flanagan has said he'll look internally for a replacement before going shopping, but in any case we've got plenty of cash and while we've failed to land a huge target I'm pretty satisfied with our recruitment since Flanno took over and trust they'll make good choices with it

TruSaint

Referee
Flanno answers plenty of questions on Lomax's situation in his Round 5 v Newcastle preview - "not wanting to be at the club".

Love this from Flanno.

" Cant have people that dont wanna be here "... Brutally honest and correct..

Well said gaffa.

From a simple perspective, Lomax is on marquee money and is not providing marquee player results.
If it's true that "with great power comes great responsibility", then with great money comes great expectations.
Flanagan leaked that stat about him being the 22nd best centre etc which is undoubtedly preparing Lomax for his imminent positional switch, and maybe preparing the fanbase for his departure.

Additionally, perhaps there is a perception that Lomax has unearned arrogance. There is nothing at all wrong with being arrogant, in fact it's often a huge advantage for a football player. However it must be earned.
For example Lomax will be inextricably linked to Hunt now, but Hunt has earned his arrogance. He's a multiple Test and Origin player (and winner), he's played umpteen finals matches and a grand final. He's the club captain. He's earned the right to be arrogant. He should be! Meanwhile Lomax has 2 finals matches 6 years ago and a couple of PM's XIII jerseys.

Then there's the Jack Bird scenario. Obviously I'd take Lomax over Bird at centre on a pure talent basis. But Flanagan is an experienced premiership winning coach, and I gotta trust his choice. Bird, also, is a winner. He's played Origin, and he's the only player on our books who's won a comp. He's also earned whatever arrogance he might display.

Zac is playing great football at the moment. His performances right now reminds me of the great Jason Nightingale at his absolute peak - 2010/2011/2012. Gypsy was 100% effort every game - chasing and leaping for every bomb, doing the hard carries frequently, wielding his physicality with opposing wingers, and of course, scoring tries.

Even at his brilliant peak, however, Nightingale never was in our top 2 most highly paid players. Probably barely cracked the top 5 in his career. Yet he had a premiership victory and 30+ Tests for New Zealand on his resume.
I also recall when Jason was 21 or so - and already 3 years into his NRL career - when a well-credentialled coach came into the club and shifted him out of his preferred position. He played on the bench. Occasionally coming on into the backline but mostly playing as a middle forward! Nightingale, didn't ask for a release. He stuck around and went on to become a living legend of the club.

Flanagan has said he'll look internally for a replacement before going shopping, but in any case we've got plenty of cash and while we've failed to land a huge target I'm pretty satisfied with our recruitment since Flanno took over and trust they'll make good choices with it
Well said.

True_Believer

Juniors
True but an exception made in the case of Hunt.
That's a good point. Although I think there are obvious differences with this decision. I'd assume finding a good replacement for Hunt is far more difficult than finding a replacement for Lomax. Guessing there's probably a higher confidence within the club of finding an adequate winger at this time. May even be considering using one of the ressies.

Doesn't help Hunt obviously, but keeping Hunt, even if it's only for this year, helps us get on track much sooner than if we didn't have him. I don't think Lomax has that sort of impact on the team.

rasaint

Juniors
Zac is an ok player and good goal kicker ( not great goal kicker). Scored a tip top $$$ deal, with the club believing he would go to the next level as he got older. Imo his lack of higher end speed ( can not be coached) has held him back. I still think lock or back row is his best opportunity going forward. On occasion does some classy moves.

I wish him fitness and health going forward.

Gareth67

First Grade
The decision has been made and he is off . No doubt a good player with plenty of potential , however did not truly hit the heights as expected .

Perhaps his next club will be able to hone his skills to the next level . The Dragons may have his spot taken by the rugby international that the club has been having talks with , although the negotiations are still ongoing .

Lomax’s $800 k salary will undoubtedly be put to good use by Flanagan whether it is a back or a forward .

Last edited:

Drewbrees

Juniors

Sorry mate, this bloke is nowhere near the player Nighty was.

Latest posts