What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

?? G.C. bears for 2017 ??

Jason Maher

Immortal
Lol@ idiots saying the Titans have no fans. Despite missing the finals for 5 years straight and a never ending stream of negative press leading to a precipitous drop off in crowd numbers, they still managed to pull as many fans on average as Penrith, Manly, Cronulla, and the Tigers, and significantly more than Canberra. They have a much broader support base than just the coastal strip and hinterland too. Plenty of Titans fans in Northern NSW and I see plenty around Brisbane and Logan. The ones in Brisbane and Logan no doubt are primarily those looking for an alternative to the donkeys. They have this broad support base because they worked hard to engage these communities before they even entered the comp.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Be interesting to know what conditions are of the perpetual licenses clubs have just been granted in regards to location, brand, name etc.

yes AFL will be laughing its tits off, they can see how badly run the NRL has been for years but they may now just be a little bit more nervous that the NRL has the money to sort itself out. In many ways the future of the Titans (and lessor degree Knights/Tigers) is a good litmus test of if the NRL have learnt from the past and have a strategic ability for the future.

re the Suns, they made a profit, all be it with a very generous AFL grant, and have 13,500 members. The NRL would be dead set crazy to hand the region over to them.

Last edited:

Ibleedblue

Juniors
This just sounds like a takeover then giving the Coast a team. Not that I really care if the Titans fall down. Sport has always failed on the Gold Coast.

Be interesting to know what conditions are of the perpetual licenses clubs have just been granted in regards to location, brand, name etc.

yes AFL will be laughing its tits off, they can see how badly run the NRL has been for years but they may now just be a little bit more nervous that the NRL has the money to sort itself out. In many ways the future of the Titans (and lessor degree Knights/Tigers) is a good litmus test of if the NRL have learnt from the past and have a strategic ability for the future.

re the Suns, they made a profit, all be it with a very generous AFL grant, and have 13,500 members. The NRL would be dead set crazy to hand the region over to them.

On the off chance Perth get into the NRL, what will you have to bitch about then?

I don't trust the Bears and that vulture Florimo for one second.

They will shut the Titans down and move the whole thing down to the central coast at the first opportunity. And if the Titans let them, then fair enough. It's a dog eat dog world out there and clubs who throw the keys away (ahem North Shdney Bears) deserve what they get.

If the NRL can indeed pull the vulture into line and it remains a team that plays the majority of its games on the Goldy, albeit in red and black as the Bears with a Central Coast connection it seems a reasonable compromise. Bears back in, Titans get some decent management and we lose that awful logo/name/jersey and expansion can be focussed where it is strategically sound like Petth and SEQ 3.

As a footnote can people stop suggesting that they play one game at NSO? That ground is far from NRL standard and has been for years.

warrior poet

Juniors
Just a thought but why don't the Bears look at replacing Balmain in the Wests Tigers merger? (Obviously will need a new name).
They get to stay in Sydney, there remaining fans get a local team to support, the magpies & bears both seem to have some financial backing, & the original clubs both seem to have a large remaining supporter base (Balmain doesn't seem to have one... I'm a neutral kiwi observer so Balmain fans please don't attack).
For a name what about something like the Sydney Suburbs Bears, or North & West Sydney Bears (again I'm neutral and personally think any new team should be named by there fans)... Does it even need a location name?

mongoose

Coach

13500 members lol, they must have signed up a few thousand drunk schoolies on cavill.

axe&smash&crush

Juniors

Get out of Gold Coast I say and get a second brisbane team.

Don't trust the AFL, Suns figures seem very loose, crowd figures often posted higher than half capacity, when the ground looks well under half full.

axe&smash&crush

Juniors
Just a thought but why don't the Bears look at replacing Balmain in the Wests Tigers merger? (Obviously will need a new name).
They get to stay in Sydney, there remaining fans get a local team to support, the magpies & bears both seem to have some financial backing, & the original clubs both seem to have a large remaining supporter base (Balmain doesn't seem to have one... I'm a neutral kiwi observer so Balmain fans please don't attack).
For a name what about something like the Sydney Suburbs Bears, or North & West Sydney Bears (again I'm neutral and personally think any new team should be named by there fans)... Does it even need a location name?

That's pretty silly mate.

Those in the 'heartland' wanting the Titans out should have a hard look at there crowds because there just as bad or worst than the Titans. Manly & Canberra had worse crowds than the Titans last year and no-one is saying to kick them out of the comp.Penrith, Cronulla and West Tigers pretty much even with the Gold Coast despite being 'heartland', no-one saying to kick them out/re-brand them.

http://afltables.com/rl/crowds/2015.html

No surprise that the moment any team outside NSW is in trouble, the call is to kick them out.

But when the NSW teams are in trouble, everyone must rally around them and make sure they survive, heartland bias is obvious considering how badly run those clubs have been over the decades are a responsible for keeping the code to where it is as a result of the selfish and insular thinking of the NRL clubs.

Supporters of those clubs shouldn't be throwing stones at the Titans considering how incompetent and poor crowds of the respective clubs. For one, the NRL should look at the big-picture and keep every club prosper and future expansion instead of the constant eating within and cannibalizing itself with this backwards thinking.

Last edited:

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Its NSW's comp and you should be happy we let you play in it

:lol: It's NSW's comp until they stop supporting half their teams to the point where they go bankrupt. You even tainted the Titans with that shit and now you want to use their carcass to frankenstein the Bears back into existence.

warrior poet

Juniors
That's pretty silly mate.

Thanks for your awesome insight there, care to explain why?
Balmain are broke and can't support the team they have now, magpies want a team but aren't big enough for there own, bears want a team but aren't big enough for there own... Wouldn't it make sense to get rid of balmains negative influence and combine the magpies & bears who want to be in the nrl. The alternative would be kick out Wests Tigers. I don't think the Gold Coast will support a north Sydney/ nsw central coast team!

Personally I would prefer to remove the Wests Tigers & Titans (and a couple of other nsw teams) and put in teams that are actually beneficial to the growth and future of the sport... Wellington, Perth, central qld etc

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Its NSW's comp and you should be happy we let you play in it

Nicely done ;-)
file.php

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
:lol: It's NSW's comp until they stop supporting half their teams to the point where they go bankrupt. You even tainted the Titans with that shit and now you want to use their carcass to frankenstein the Bears back into existence.

I do wonder if placing an old NSW team in a QLD market is a good idea...

Personally i think they should go harder on the "QLDer" angle. Whatever way they go with the logo, they should have the old Q rap-around for a bit of heritage.

Gold_coast_vikings_logo.jpg

qrl_1980.jpg

etc...

Jason Maher

Immortal
Those in the 'heartland' wanting the Titans out should have a hard look at there crowds because there just as bad or worst than the Titans. Manly & Canberra had worse crowds than the Titans last year and no-one is saying to kick them out of the comp.Penrith, Cronulla and West Tigers pretty much even with the Gold Coast despite being 'heartland', no-one saying to kick them out/re-brand them.

http://afltables.com/rl/crowds/2015.html

No surprise that the moment any team outside NSW is in trouble, the call is to kick them out.

But when the NSW teams are in trouble, everyone must rally around them and make sure they survive, heartland bias is obvious considering how badly run those clubs have been over the decades are a responsible for keeping the code to where it is as a result of the selfish and insular thinking of the NRL clubs.

Supporters of those clubs shouldn't be throwing stones at the Titans considering how incompetent and poor crowds of the respective clubs. For one, the NRL should look at the big-picture and keep every club prosper and future expansion instead of the constant eating within and cannibalizing itself with this backwards thinking.

Have you been asleep for two decades? There has been a constant hue and cry from people outside New South Wales, especially Queensland, that there are too many clubs in Sydney and they and their fans must make a sacrifice for the good of the game. Balmain, Western Suburbs, St. George, Illawarra, Manly, North Sydney, South Sydney, and the Hunter Mariners (lol) have all made such a sacrifice, and there have been periodic calls for Cronulla to do so as well. Yet you act surprised that Sydney fans might have had a gut full and expect others to bear the cost for once.

I personally think the best approach would be to split the donkeys into 3 clubs. Fix the problem of a Brisbane monopoly, give us two extra teams and tv an extra game per week, Queensland now has 5 teams, and donkeys fans get an exercise in humility and what it is like to lose your team. Everybody wins.

BuffaloRules

Coach

The new bame should be the South West North Suburbs Bears Magpies Tigers...

I hope everyone is now happy.

Record crowds await.

Latest posts