What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...h-norman-to-ink-new-deal-20160725-gqdkas.html

Eels set course for Hayne Plane with Norman to ink new deal

Chris Barrett

Parramatta are expected to escalate their pursuit of Jarryd Hayne after it emerged Corey Norman was on the brink of agreeing to a new three-year contract with the Eels and rejecting an offer from St George Illawarra.

The five-eighth's pending retention shapes as a long-awaited dose of good news for a club that has lurched from crisis to crisis this season.

Norman has been in the thick of the controversy, banned last week for the rest of the season by the NRL after a series of indiscretions including a conviction for drug possession and his part in the filming and distribution of a sex tape.

On the field, however, the 25-year-old has been one of Parramatta's best players in the most difficult of campaigns, with a salary cap penalty hanging over the team's head in the early rounds of the season before their finals hopes were cruelled by this month's official stripping of 12 competition points.

Norman's call is set to be another blow for the Dragons, who have made him a three-year offer. Bidding to boost their halves they also lost out to the Sydney Roosters on South Sydney's Luke Keary and veteran Benji Marshall rejected a $300,000 one-year contract extension.

St George Illawarra are also waiting on an answer from hooker Mitch Rein on whether he will remain in red and white but with the club and player having not been on the same page in terms of remuneration they are also watching with interest the Robbie Farah scenario at Wests Tigers.

With Norman understood to be close to re-signing, the Eels' attention will swerve onto the next priority, the reacquisition of Hayne.

While Hayne has held talks with the Australian Rugby Union about a possible switch to the 15-man code, it is believed no other NRL club is genuinely in the hunt when it comes to chances of landing his signature.

Elsewhere at Parramatta the last of the so-called gang of five deregistered by the NRL have officially left the club after former chief executive John Boulous and football manager Daniel Anderson resigned.

Boulous and Anderson had remained on the Eels payroll until last week despite having been suspended from duties in early May, and then deregistered earlier this month but resigned late last week following the appointment of administrator Max Donnelly.

Boulous had left open the possibility of appealing the sanctions brought against him after seeking an extension that ran until Monday but the NRL had not received an application by close of business. None of the other five ousted officials appealed, while Donnelly is still to decide whether or not to withdraw the club's appeal.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You might be uncertain how much you have to spend on the less essential player until you've concluded negotiations with the priority player.

84 Baby

Referee
Ok Pou I'll bite. Given our roster currently for next year & assuming Norman re-signs for the purported amount above, you have a million dollars available, who do you sign that does better for the balance of our squad?

phantom eel

First Grade
There's not one single quote in the article. They just added Hayne for extra interest.
It's been so good that since Max has come on board, we've finally been out of the papers - was getting sick of reading about us for all of the wrong reasons.

Now it's only the Hayne circus and clickbait factor that is keeping us in the news... I look forward to when Hayne f**ks off to his next adventure and we hardly appear in the sports (gossip) columns anymore, apart for from our good on-field form!

Snoochies

First Grade
I don't think Hayne will be chasing top dollar and will settle on something less to stay at Parra. Just a hunch.
Denan Kemp scored probably the most in depth interview with Jarryd this week on his Podcast 'The locker room' whereas Jarryd could have gone to mainstream media and get $$$ for an interview. Seems he likes to help out where he can, hope the Eels are next.

BoneyBlake17

Juniors
I don't think Hayne will be chasing top dollar and will settle on something less to stay at Parra. Just a hunch.
Denan Kemp scored probably the most in depth interview with Jarryd this week on his Podcast 'The locker room' whereas Jarryd could have gone to mainstream media and get $$$ for an interview. Seems he likes to help out where he can, hope the Eels are next.

I wouldn't give an interview to the telecrap either after they were quick to bag him after leaving the nfl and going straight to the 7's

TheRam

Coach
I'm equally concerned about our hooker stocks for next season if not more then our halves issues.

Who are the best dummy halves running around in the lower grades that we may have a shot at getting?

Does anyone know?

BTW Hastings for mine, in regards to price & potential, would be a smart pickup. Good enough with a huge upside if he knuckles down, but cheap enough to make other important signings possible.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Ok Pou I'll bite. Given our roster currently for next year & assuming Norman re-signs for the purported amount above, you have a million dollars available, who do you sign that does better for the balance of our squad?
We only have about 17 players contracted for next year, so that alleged million dollars doesn't need to all go to one player.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I'm equally concerned about our hooker stocks for next season if not more then our halves issues.

Who are the best dummy halves running around in the lower grades that we may have a shot at getting?

Does anyone know?

BTW Hastings for mine, in regards to price & potential, would be a smart pickup. Good enough with a huge upside if he knuckles down, but cheap enough to make other important signings possible.

Agree on Hastings.

But sadly I think you have just anthony wattsted his career. Poor kid.

IFR33K

Coach

Yep. We were kind enough to release him to pursue his nfl dream, hopefully he returns the favour and signs with the eels. If we can snare him for 800k we should jump at the opportunity. Anything more may be a risk in terms of unbalancing the team IMO.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Foran with his TPAs under the cap also unbalances the squad. So do we want to replace that with the same problem?
Not if we get Hayne around r 1m under the cap, lets face it he doesn't have to do much to improve on what foran offered. Besides this so called amazing leadership. We were competitive without Foran add in someone like Hayne and we can win a title.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Not if we get Hayne around r 1m under the cap, lets face it he doesn't have to do much to improve on what foran offered. Besides this so called amazing leadership. We were competitive without Foran add in someone like Hayne and we can win a title.
Hayne's a fullback though. Far less influential than a half. And we have a couple of fullback options already.

Latest posts