What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Members announcement Farah

Pommy

Coach
Southsport is trolling lol.

Now watch him deny it.

Southsport should have said R20 is jumping for joy now McTurtle is gone lol.

Now for Nielsen to be shown the door I hope.

You can't show someone the door when they have a contract. Where is he going to go? We will either have to pay his contract out or keep him because it's not worth paying him out and losing the option.
I understood us signing him as he was cheap and gave us an option. But why it was more than a season I don't know.

Don't be surprised if membership numbers are down next year with this news yesterday

Membership numbers will be down anyway. Did you see our scheduling last season? Combine that and the loss of fair weather fans after the peak of 2014 and they were always going to drop, I don't imagine signing the NSW hooker is going to be a key reason for people not renewing. (I'm not a fan of Farah remember)

Rsag85

Bench
If the numbers go down it doesn't mean the Farah signing is responsible.

Working in bunnies area in mascot I've been talking to a few fans around the area and 50% of fans I've talked to say there not happy with the signing a wouldn't be renewing there memberships for next year

southsport

First Grade
Working in bunnies area in mascot I've been talking to a few fans around the area and 50% of fans I've talked to say there not happy with the signing a wouldn't be renewing there memberships for next year

50%, you probably spoke to two and one said he wouldn't renew, they'll be back.

souths_reborn

Juniors
While we are all entitled to an opinion, I think we need to stop being so cynical about the Farah signing. Yes, the guy has had off the field issues with various coaches but lets focus on what he brings - the guy is a representative hooker and is still a quality player. Moreover, I think his creativity out of dummy half can take ease a lot of the pressure on Adam Reynolds, who can at times, become predictable with the better teams in the competition being able to contain him.

With regards the off the field issues, I don't think Robbie will be afford the same freedom of being able to voice his displeasure with coaching and various on the field issues simply because he isn't as revered at Souths as he was at the Tigers. Madge is also a real disciplinarian who is not afraid to get stuck into players and while he does need to be a bit more ruthless in dropping under-performing players, we have seen that he will not hesitate to get rid of players who undermine his authority i.e. Chris Grevsmuhl. I also feel that its pretty much last chance saloons in regards to coaches tolerating Farah's maverick, off the field tendencies; if he gives Maguire problems, I feel that it will not only justify Taylor's decision to get rid of him but it will see Farah forever branded as a trouble maker.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I think signing good players is good business. While Farah may not be at his peak, he's still a quality player, which we've missed in the 9 since Isaac left. The competition for the 9 jersey can only be a good thing, may help improve Cook as a player and get the best out of Farah as well.

Comparisons to Peats situation is like comparing apples and oranges. Peats was a quality player and wanted to be kept at the club but he wanted to be in the starting 9 jersey, which he never would with Isaac around so his was given blessing to find that elsewhere.

McInnes on the other hand was given the 9 jersey and struggled to produce a high standard and consequently lost his spot in the top grade.
Correctamundo.

You can't compare the class difference of Peats and Cam.

One is in a different league.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Don't be surprised if membership numbers are down next year with this news yesterday
They are not true supporters.

The bandwagoners will fall off and good riddance I say.

You can show someone the door too Pommy even if they're contracted. We have shown Cam the door.

doyen

Bench
Correctamundo.

You can't compare the class difference of Peats and Cam.

One is in a different league.

When Peats was with us he often only got 7 or 8 mins in games--he was given a pretty rough deal by Madge & the club--much disregard for his ability--that's why he eventually walked.
Sths gave Cam much more recognition & respect than Peats!!

doyen

Bench
and Cam failed to prove that he is ready for first grade!!!

This is probably true but yet again we've lost another promising Jnr to another club--- in the past few years we've cast off quite a few who have blossomed & will probably never return!!

This time we do it to secure a player past his best & from a club who is prepared to pay a fortune to get rid of him!!

souths_reborn

Juniors
This is probably true but yet again we've lost another promising Jnr to another club--- in the past few years we've cast off quite a few who have blossomed & will probably never return!!

This time we do it to secure a player past his best & from a club who is prepared to pay a fortune to get rid of him!!
We've also kept a few who have gone to succeed at the club. You mention that he is promising but you can't say that he hadn't been given a fair chance to succeed. 40 first grade games is an ample amount to show what you can do and its far more than most players get. Unfortunately we had to draw the line in the sand at some point and I think its good that we have gotten rid of him and moved forward.

Believe me, if there was another hooker out there that we could secure as opposed to signing Robbie then I'd be all for it. Heck, I'd be willing to recall Mario Fenech out of retirement at 53 years of age and give him a shot! However, are a lack of quality options available and I think Farah is still a quality player and is the best option out there. What I find interesting is that Michael Maguire immediately ruled out making a play for Nathan Peats when he came on the market after Parra got rid of him. Why would he do that? I know part of the reason Peats left was because him and Madge didn't get on but surely he could have let bygones be bygones.

Rabbits20

Immortal
When Peats was with us he often only got 7 or 8 mins in games--he was given a pretty rough deal by Madge & the club--much disregard for his ability--that's why he eventually walked.
Sths gave Cam much more recognition & respect than Peats!!
Yeah and it was the wrong choice giving Cam all that time.

Peats is in a different class.