What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Madge Contract status

souths_reborn

Juniors
5 weeks ago Maguire was a very real chance of going. Inglis would never play fullback again, Sam was a shadow of the player he was in 2014, our halves prospects looked bleak with Reynolds down on confidence and no one else to play in the halves ( with inglis to never play fullback again walker would be fullback). Tom Burgess was on his way out, turner should retire etc. Who's to say that all the rumours about maguire on his way out sparked the team into actions and forced the changes we needed to make on and off the field.
I think our performances over the last five weeks or so certainly saved Madge his job. Many people who were critical of him before have changed their minds but I don't think you can really blame them for asking questions of the coach. If you look at the South Sydney team that went on that losing streak and you compare it to the team that won its last 4-5 games, its like you were watching two different teams. Hence, I think it is only natural, when a team is losing frequently and playing badly to boot, that questions be asked of the coach.
I think the most important change to affect Souths was an attitudinal change on the part of the referees.
Rugby League is a remarkably simple game - hold the ball and control the ruck (that's the play the ball area for most of you simpletons) and you win the game.
The referees determined that Souths would not be playing semi final football this year, easy fix, penalise Souths in any tackle that the referee wanted and then allow any and all opposition to lay all over Souths to slow down Souths attack at every opportunity, allow one side to stand five metres and ensure the other side (Souths) stands twelve , thirteen - any body who didn't recognise that was what was going on is stupid.
There has been talk of police investigations into player and referees 'fixing' games and we have been told of a few Manly games that may be suspect, that players have thrown games - maybe so - but anybody with any sense at all can watch a game and see referee bias particularly when watching games with teams that they have no emotional attachment.
Amazing how the referees eased up on those ruck/play the ball/offside penalties and how Souths improved and were able to win a few games - I may be green but I'm not a f**ken cabbage.

No wonder people are dropping league and holding it with such seething contempt.

I personally do not hold Maguire in especially high esteem, basically for his lack of adaptability and his lack of any manner of change. His very high opinion of himself and his belief that he can take mediocre players and turn them into world beaters a la Craig Bellamy.
The classic example of this his absolute refusal to give Cook any reasonable time at the ball distribution role and sticking with that f**king jugheaded moron Cameron McInnes. I heard he's gonna player dominoes for NSW.

Like I said - broke a lot of good footballers in 2015 with his bash and barge bullshit, a number of them haven't recovered - maybe next year.

Interesting to see how Maguire goes next year.

Hope he doesn't do what all you clowns are screaming for, that is - just because a player comes on the market Souths shouldn't buy him. Christ one of you wankers said lets buy Farrah - he can teach the young guys when we put in reserve grade. You got no f**king idea
I don't buy what you say about the referees having a major impact on our fortunes this year and being responsible for where we finished on the table. Yes, the refereeing has been horrendous in games we have played in and yes we have copped some absolute stinkers but so has every team in the competition; bad refereeing is not something exclusive to games that Souths have featured in this season. Just ask the Titans! They copped arguably the worst refereeing performance in finals football in over 40 years with their season on the line!

Our biggest problem all year has been hanging on to the football. Yes the hooking role has been a concern and I'll address that in the following paragraph but I still think our results would have been better had we managed to hang onto the footy more. Basically, you cannot have a completion rate of 70% or under and expect to win games in this competition. I think what compounded the errors and prolonged our form slump was a lack of confidence. Given the close nature of the competition, form is pretty much everything; the NRL is not like the English Premier League where you have an elite group of teams that have players of such immense talent that they can have an off day and still perform well enough to win. In saying that, I think it is pretty much inevitable that every team in the competition is going to experience a form slump at some point; its a bit like cricketers - regardless of how good a batsman/bowler you are, you are going to be out of form at some point. The most successful teams are those who have shortest form slumps.

I think the other factor which cost us this season was poor selections in the hooking role. Hooker is such a key position in the modern game as they are often vested with the responsibility of controlling the speed of the game and the direction of play, particularly in teams that do not have a commanding halfback like we do with Adam Reynolds. This topic has been a frequent bone of contention on these forums; I'd go so far as to say that I have never known a topic on here to cause so much debate and polarise opinion so heavily. Personally, I believe that Madge stuck too long with McInnes and should have dropped as early as Round 10. I'm sure he is a lovely lad and he often plays with his heart on his sleeve but I just don't think he has what it takes to be a first grade hooker. The guy lacks direction with his play and often executes plays without a plan and cannot control the ruck. You could see it numerous times throughout the season, where McInnes would pick the ball up, look for a split second before making his mind up. It doesn't sound like much but that split second can mean the different between taking advantage of a defensive lapse and playing against a defensive line that is reset. Moreover, it is no coincidence that ever since Cook was given a chance, we looked far more formidable in possession with the speed of the ruck increasing, our forwards getting a role on and plenty of purpose in our movement of the football.

In summary, I don't hate Maguire and I think it was the right decision to stick by him and we are lucky to have him given the lack of options out there on the market. However, I do feel that he has made mistakes this season that has put him in a position where he cannot afford to have a poor start to the 2017 season. With regards to the brand of football that he advocates, I personally don't see a problem with it. I hindsight I actually think Maguire is just being pragmatic and playing a style of football that best suits the skill sets of the players that he has at his disposal. For instance, we do not have an ultra creative halfback in Adam Reynolds who can improvise and play off the cuff like Thurston and Cronk can. Hence, it makes perfect sense to play a structured brand of football based on wearing the opposition down to suit Reynolds' strengths. Also, this whole idea that Maguire stifles naturally creative players is a whole lot of tosh. I personally feel that he has allowed the like of Cody Walker to run the football with freedom frequently and taken on the line as much as possible. Its important to remember that we are not playing a game of touch football here and that we cannot have players running around like headless chooks doing what they please.

The addition of Robbie Farah will complement Reynolds' abilities perfect I feel as he will bring the sort of ball-in-hand creativity that Reynolds lacks and take a lot of the play making pressure off him. One of the reasons why Taylor supposedly got rid of Farah was because he wanted a hooker who simply passed the ball to the halves instead of trying play-make from dummy half. I feel that style of hooker is exactly what we need in that in tough games against the better defensive teams, Reynolds can run out of ideas as the opposition know what he is going to do. The combination between Farah and Reynolds worked well in origin and there is no reason why it can't work well at club level. The biggest issue with the Farah signing is going to the off the field stuff. The guy has had problems with three coaches with him being the common denominator. However, given that he is will now be playing for a club where he is not as revered as was at the Tigers, I think it is unlikely that he will be afforded the same level of freedom to voice his displeasure as he previously was. Moreover, I think that if he has problems at Souths, he will forever be condemned as being a rogue and a trouble-maker, with Taylor's decision to get rid of him being fully justified.

I think our performances over the last five weeks or so certainly saved Madge his job. Many people who were critical of him before have changed their minds but I don't think you can really blame them for asking questions of the coach. If you look at the South Sydney team that went on that losing streak and you compare it to the team that won its last 4-5 games, its like you were watching two different teams. Hence, I think it is only natural, when a team is losing frequently and playing badly to boot, that questions be asked of the coach.

I don't buy what you say about the referees having a major impact on our fortunes this year and being responsible for where we finished on the table. Yes, the refereeing has been horrendous in games we have played in and yes we have copped some absolute stinkers but so has every team in the competition; bad refereeing is not something exclusive to games that Souths have featured in this season. Just ask the Titans! They copped arguably the worst refereeing performance in finals football in over 40 years with their season on the line!

Our biggest problem all year has been hanging on to the football. Yes the hooking role has been a concern and I'll address that in the following paragraph but I still think our results would have been better had we managed to hang onto the footy more. Basically, you cannot have a completion rate of 70% or under and expect to win games in this competition. I think what compounded the errors and prolonged our form slump was a lack of confidence. Given the close nature of the competition, form is pretty much everything; the NRL is not like the English Premier League where you have an elite group of teams that have players of such immense talent that they can have an off day and still perform well enough to win. In saying that, I think it is pretty much inevitable that every team in the competition is going to experience a form slump at some point; its a bit like cricketers - regardless of how good a batsman/bowler you are, you are going to be out of form at some point. The most successful teams are those who have shortest form slumps.

I think the other factor which cost us this season was poor selections in the hooking role. Hooker is such a key position in the modern game as they are often vested with the responsibility of controlling the speed of the game and the direction of play, particularly in teams that do not have a commanding halfback like we do with Adam Reynolds. This topic has been a frequent bone of contention on these forums; I'd go so far as to say that I have never known a topic on here to cause so much debate and polarise opinion so heavily. Personally, I believe that Madge stuck too long with McInnes and should have dropped as early as Round 10. I'm sure he is a lovely lad and he often plays with his heart on his sleeve but I just don't think he has what it takes to be a first grade hooker. The guy lacks direction with his play and often executes plays without a plan and cannot control the ruck. You could see it numerous times throughout the season, where McInnes would pick the ball up, look for a split second before making his mind up. It doesn't sound like much but that split second can mean the different between taking advantage of a defensive lapse and playing against a defensive line that is reset. Moreover, it is no coincidence that ever since Cook was given a chance, we looked far more formidable in possession with the speed of the ruck increasing, our forwards getting a role on and plenty of purpose in our movement of the football.

In summary, I don't hate Maguire and I think it was the right decision to stick by him and we are lucky to have him given the lack of options out there on the market. However, I do feel that he has made mistakes this season that has put him in a position where he cannot afford to have a poor start to the 2017 season. With regards to the brand of football that he advocates, I personally don't see a problem with it. I hindsight I actually think Maguire is just being pragmatic and playing a style of football that best suits the skill sets of the players that he has at his disposal. For instance, we do not have an ultra creative halfback in Adam Reynolds who can improvise and play off the cuff like Thurston and Cronk can. Hence, it makes perfect sense to play a structured brand of football based on wearing the opposition down to suit Reynolds' strengths. Also, this whole idea that Maguire stifles naturally creative players is a whole lot of tosh. I personally feel that he has allowed the like of Cody Walker to run the football with freedom frequently and taken on the line as much as possible. Its important to remember that we are not playing a game of touch football here and that we cannot have players running around like headless chooks doing what they please.

The addition of Robbie Farah will complement Reynolds' abilities perfect I feel as he will bring the sort of ball-in-hand creativity that Reynolds lacks and take a lot of the play making pressure off him. One of the reasons why Taylor supposedly got rid of Farah was because he wanted a hooker who simply passed the ball to the halves instead of trying play-make from dummy half. I feel that style of hooker is exactly what we need in that in tough games against the better defensive teams, Reynolds can run out of ideas as the opposition know what he is going to do. The combination between Farah and Reynolds worked well in origin and there is no reason why it can't work well at club level. The biggest issue with the Farah signing is going to the off the field stuff. The guy has had problems with three coaches with him being the common denominator. However, given that he is will now be playing for a club where he is not as revered as was at the Tigers, I think it is unlikely that he will be afforded the same level of freedom to voice his displeasure as he previously was. Moreover, I think that if he has problems at Souths, he will forever be condemned as being a rogue and a trouble-maker, with Taylor's decision to get rid of him being fully justified.
Great post great post very well explained

Q dave q

Juniors

Outstanding post, much appreciated.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Oi alien, R95, SOUTHS till I die, etc......

Next to re-sign Madge.

Daily Telegraph have said that's next on our list.

Good on Richo.

I'd lock in Madge on an extension for 2018 & 2019.

alien

Referee
Oi alien, R95, SOUTHS till I die, etc......

Next to re-sign Madge.

Daily Telegraph have said that's next on our list.

Good on Richo.

I'd lock in Madge on an extension for 2018 & 2019.

What's the rush? We already have him for next year. They might wait and see how we go in the first 2 months of the season.

souths_reborn

Juniors
I'd do 2 more years.

Madge will want security too. We can't muck him around and he doesn't deserve that after what he's done for us.
Its a good piece of business because a lot of coaches in the competition are going to be under pressure in 2017 and Madge will no doubt be an appealing option for many. Also, if worst comes to worst and Madge has a horrendous 2017 season, we can part ways with him and just pay him the money that he is owed. Remember, coaches' salaries are not included under the cap and we are not exactly struggling for money.

Q dave q

Juniors
Hes done a few things for us, but the last two years have been very ordinary. Sometimes coaches get stale. Nothing personal. No long contract 4 Madge, a couple of good games at the backend of the season doesnt make me sing too much. I say no contract.

We should at least try to snap up Matthew Elliot and/or Griffin, Stuart or Henry as options beyond 2017.

doyen

Bench
There's no way I would re-sign Madge beyond 2017 at this point.
The last 2 seasons have been disappointing to say the least.

I would like to see if he has any fresh ideas for the team first in 2017 as he didn't appear to want to move too much from his same old predictable ways during this past season!

alien

Referee
We have made the Finals 4 out of 5 years since he has been coach. 3 of those years top 4. 1 Premiership, 1 World Club Championship, 1 Nines Championship. He deserves another go in 2017, and if we make the Finals again then he should probably be here in 2018.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
We have made the Finals 4 out of 5 years since he has been coach. 3 of those years top 4. 1 Premiership, 1 World Club Championship, 1 Nines Championship. He deserves another go in 2017, and if we make the Finals again then he should probably be here in 2018.

Agreed, I don't think many other coaches would of been able to deal with the losses any better than Madge did. The main problem was the inflated ego's, salary cap issues and internal problems. As a coach there's only so much you can do to stop this. More than half of our players were off the rails after the premiership win and not really motivated for these last 2 seasons. Things are looking up it would be stupid too put unnecessary pressure on him, considering contracts mean jack shit anymore anyway. I'm almost certain Cronulla will struggle to stay a top 4 team next season. I know this may sound strange but winning isn't all about ability. There's a lot of other things that go into it that aren't related to how skilful players are. Sometimes as a team you're mental state can drop or you have conflicting personalities within combinations of the team. Even though they are paid professionals, they are human beings. These sort of things can affect playing ability drastically. I believe this is a big reason contributing to Souths slide as well as the altering of our spine. Losing and winning is a habit and it's not as much about a teams ability as you would think. A lot of craig bellamy's roster are nobodies.

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
Hes done a few things for us, but the last two years have been very ordinary. Sometimes coaches get stale. Nothing personal. No long contract 4 Madge, a couple of good games at the backend of the season doesnt make me sing too much. I say no contract.

We should at least try to snap up Matthew Elliot and/or Griffin, Stuart or Henry as options beyond 2017.
2015 we still made 7th. That's solid.

I think Madge can lead us to 22 or close to it at least.

1477634933858.jpg

The South Sydney Rabbitohs have extended the contract of Head Coach Michael Maguire until at least the end of the 2019 season today.

Coach Maguire has developed into one of the game’s leading coaches, having won premierships in the NRL and Super League over the past seven seasons with the Rabbitohs and Wigan, as well as being part of the successful Melbourne Storm and Canberra Raiders clubs as coach and player.

Along with the NRL Premiership, World Club Champions trophy and Auckland Nines trophy that he has led the Club to winning since he joined the Rabbitohs for the 2012 season, Coach Maguire is also a member of the NRL’s Competition Committee which he has been a part of since November 2015.

This extension will see Coach Maguire extend his tenure as coach of the Club to eight seasons, equal with the legendary Jack Rayner who coached the Club for eight seasons, and behind only Charlie Lynch who served the Club as coach for 11 seasons, as well as ‘The Little Master’ Clive Churchill who was coach for ten seasons.

Rabbitohs General Manager of Football Shane Richardson is excited to see Coach Maguire extend his tenure with the Club.

“Michael has enjoyed great success as a coach including leading our team to the 2014 NRL Premiership, and we’re certain that he is the man to lead the team back to the top,” Mr Richardson said.

“The Club has been working hard to sign our elite player group for the long term to create stability and Michael’s signing gives us a great leader to take this group of young men to the top.

“He’s a fantastic manager of people, has a sharp football brain, is a great family man, and we know he is the best coach to take South Sydney forward.”

Coach Maguire is pleased to have his future sorted out for at least the next three years.

“I’ve loved every minute of coaching this side and being part of this Club. I believe in this playing group and I believe in this organisation,” Coach Maguire said.

“Everyone at this Club knows what it takes to be successful, everyone knows the hard work that's in front of them and everyone is hungry to achieve success, and that’s something we’ve built up over the past five years.

“We all want to return to the top end of the ladder and we’re dedicated to achieving that this season and into the future.

“I have a committed group of players, coaches and support staff that are prepared to work harder than ever before to achieve the results we want to achieve.

“We have great relationships with Souths Juniors and the North Sydney Bears in creating the pathways we need to keep this Club successful in the coming seasons.

“I really enjoy seeing the way the Club and the team connect with our community and seeing how proud people are of our team. Being able to put something back into the community and put smiles on people’s faces is something very special.

“We also have a great connection with our corporate partners, and most importantly our Members, who ride this wave with us each and every season.

“I’m very grateful for the commitment that everyone makes to this Club and I can’t wait to see what we can all achieve together over the coming years.

“My family and I couldn’t be happier to know that we are staying here at this Club which has become our home.”

BIOGRAPHY:
Name:

Michael Maguire

DOB:

5 February 1974

Appointed:

November 2011 for the 2012 season

Club Coaching history:

South Sydney Rabbitohs (2012-current)

Wigan Warriors - Head Coach (2010-11)

Melbourne Storm - Assistant Coach (2005-09)

Canberra Raiders - Assistant Coach, Reserve Grade Assistant Coach and Strength and Conditioning Coach (1998-2004)

Coaching achievements:

NRL Premiership – Rabbitohs (2014)

World Club Champions – Rabbitohs (2015)

Auckland Nines Champions – Rabbitohs (2015)

Challenge Cup Champions– Wigan (2011)

English Super League Champions – Wigan (2010)

English Super League Coach of the Year – Wigan (2010)

English Super League League Leaders Shield – Wigan (2010)

Four NRL Grand Finals as Assistant Coach – Storm (2006-09)

Playing Record:

11 first grade games for the Raiders (1992, 1994-96, 1998)

Six first grade games for Adelaide Rams (1997)

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2016/10/28/rabbitohs_extend_con.html