What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Emerging Nations World Cup

langpark

First Grade
I reckon an Emerging Nations tournament should have all domestic players only. Maybe only two or three heritage or PRO players, all the rest amateur.
You can be certain, it will be the opposite of what you said. Since it's in Aus, they will save a fortune on costs and still have the tournament. There will be a token domestic player or two thrown in to warm the bench, most likely.

So it will just be heritage teams from Sydney playing in Sydney. And possibly not even proper national teams. If that's the case forget about it. It has to be funded to allow the next best emerging nations to compete, preferably as curtain raisers where possible, and not just whoever wants to play and can get 17 blokes together in Sydney. If they want to play a tournament like that they can but it shouldn't be called anything to do with the World Cup.

jim_57

Staff member
I don't really get the appeal of the tournament to be honest, sure it's good to see developing nations play games, but I think the money involved could be more sensibly spent both by RLIF & NGB's of developing nations.

adamkungl

Immortal
Hopefully that's true. Seems like nothing more than a waste of money.

Why do you think giving developing nations a decent stage to compete on is a waste of money, considering it was self-funded and didn't require anything much but permission from the RLIF?

roughyedspud

Coach
A emerging nations world cup should be for the teams that missed out on the actual world cup..so the likes of canada,serbia,russia,south africa,jamiaca,cook islands etc..not made up teams like latin bloody heat

latingringo101

Juniors
A emerging nations world cup should be for the teams that missed out on the actual world cup..so the likes of canada,serbia,russia,south africa,jamiaca,cook islands etc..not made up teams like latin bloody heat

Although we (Latin Heat) aren't a "Nation" as such, we believe we help bring MORE flavour and attention to International Rugby League, just like other organisations such as Africa United, Mediterreanean-Middle East RL etc.

Yes we are Australian based, but Australian based International teams have helped grow the sport in countries around the world. There's been NUMEROUS cases where teams have taken the field firstly on Australian soil and helped spur the sport back in their homeland.

The players who also play for these teams come from families who have come to Australia for a better life but still like to represent their heritage in Rugby League.

adamkungl

Immortal

I suspect 'combined' teams would make up a very small number, maybe 2 or 3 (Latin America, Africa Utd, Scandanavia?) out of a hypothetical 16. I don't see the harm in them in a comp where the main focus is developing the game moreso than winning. That said I'm sure teams like Serbia and Canada would have a big crack at winning it.

I know Latin Heat was planning on entering as a once off, then splitting into individual nations permanently.

I wouldn't support LH entering the actual World Cup as a combined entity, but there is precedent of composite nations in international sport. At the development level of RL I think you have to be kind of petty to care.

Anyway, back on topic - even excluding the few combined teams, there are more than enough teams that would be interested in competing in this kind of competition. Personally I think it's disappointing it won't go ahead.

So does this guy
http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/02/06/time-right-rugby-league-world-cup-expansion/

Last edited:

latingringo101

Juniors
I suspect 'combined' teams would make up a very small number, maybe 2 or 3 (Latin America, Africa Utd, Scandanavia?) out of a hypothetical 16. I don't see the harm in them in a comp where the main focus is developing the game moreso than winning. That said I'm sure teams like Serbia and Canada would have a big crack at winning it.

I know Latin Heat was planning on entering as a once off, then splitting into individual nations permanently.

I wouldn't support LH entering the actual World Cup as a combined entity, but there is precedent of composite nations in international sport. At the development level of RL I think you have to be kind of petty to care.

Anyway, back on topic - even excluding the few combined teams, there are more than enough teams that would be interested in competing in this kind of competition. Personally I think it's disappointing it won't go ahead.

So does this guy
http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/02/06/time-right-rugby-league-world-cup-expansion/

We knew we would NEVER be allowed at a world cup as the LH. We started the concept targeting all of Latin America because around the world Latinos have a sense of being one when outside of Latin America and it made sense to start a team representing them all as one.

We have begun to make teams when we have identified enough players from those particular nations such as Chile, El Salvador, Peru, Ecuador, Uruguay and Colombia. These teams are more likely to be accepted into World Cup qualification and Rankings rather than LH.

I've heard whispers that Africa United might start a South Sudanese team soon because they've identified enough players from that particular nation.

Evil Homer

Staff member
We have begun to make teams when we have identified enough players from those particular nations such as Chile, El Salvador, Peru, Ecuador, Uruguay and Colombia. These teams are more likely to be accepted into World Cup qualification and Rankings rather than LH.
Not if they don't actually have a presence in those countries. Chile AFAIK is the only one that currently does. I also think it would be remiss for the Heat or any other overseas body to try to enter a 'national team' into official competition. What the Heat are doing now is fine but the goal has to be to cede control to domestic bodies as quickly and fully as possible, or we end up with situations like the one in Italy.

adamkungl

Immortal
That is the goal, but they aren't there yet.

Anyhow - Latin Head aside. Apparently the reason support was pulled is to do with WC organisers fearing that it would somehow clash with the main event. To me that sounds pretty ridiculous.

langpark

First Grade
That is the goal, but they aren't there yet.

Anyhow - Latin Head aside. Apparently the reason support was pulled is to do with WC organisers fearing that it would somehow clash with the main event. To me that sounds pretty ridiculous.

I think it makes perfect sense. If we want World Cup to be our marquee event, we should be giving it the respect it deserves not running other competitions alongside it (does any other sport do such a thing??).

I'm all for it being played next year, when nothing else is on. Also, I think nations/regions, in order to take part, should be forced to put something of a plan together about what sort of development they plan to undertake or contribution they will make to developing the game back in their home nation in the year(s) following the Emerging Nations Cup. Otherwise, it's a pointless exercise. I believe if it is played as a stand alone event (in Oct 2018 for example) then it can attract some real interest and even generate some profit.

deal.with.it

Juniors
I think an emerging nations cup is redundant if you have a proper wcq with a proper governing body and proper grass roots development in each RLIF member nation.

Let's be honest. The proposal was for puppet nations like Malta, Philippines, Thailand and Niue to have a run around.

latingringo101

Juniors
I think it makes perfect sense. If we want World Cup to be our marquee event, we should be giving it the respect it deserves not running other competitions alongside it (does any other sport do such a thing??).

I'm all for it being played next year, when nothing else is on. Also, I think nations/regions, in order to take part, should be forced to put something of a plan together about what sort of development they plan to undertake or contribution they will make to developing the game back in their home nation in the year(s) following the Emerging Nations Cup. Otherwise, it's a pointless exercise. I believe if it is played as a stand alone event (in Oct 2018 for example) then it can attract some real interest and even generate some profit.

Women's Police, Defence Forces and Wheelchair RL world cups ALL appeared at the same time as the Men's tournament in 2008. Didn't seem to affect the main event too much.

Also Emerging nations occurred in both 1995 & 2000 at the same time, in 1995 the ENWC Final a week before the RLWC final only had 4000 people while the Oz vs England crowd a few days later had over 60 thousand people.

latingringo101

Juniors
I think an emerging nations cup is redundant if you have a proper wcq with a proper governing body and proper grass roots development in each RLIF member nation.

Let's be honest. The proposal was for puppet nations like Malta, Philippines, Thailand and Niue to have a run around.

Emerging nations helped the likes of Canada, USA, Cook Islands, Russia etc debut on the World Stage.

I HIGHLY doubt there'd be more negatives than positives if the 2017 version featured an ENWC, in fact it would add MORE positives and attention to the main event!

adamkungl

Immortal

Better cancel those womens, student, wheelchair world cups then. That'd be a good look for the game...