What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 24 v Broncos

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons out to snap long Brisbane losing streak

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

14 Aug 2017, 3:16 p.m.
r0_0_5184_3456_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

UNFAZED: Paul McGregor is not concerned by his side's record in Brisbane.

AS if Brisbane’s red-hot run of form that’s seen them rack up 90 points in their past two games wasn’t enough, St George Illawarra will need to break a Suncorp Stadium hoodoo stretching back to 2009 to beat the Broncos on Friday.

Adding to the irony, that round four victory came with current Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett at the helm of a Dragons side featuring current Dragons assistant coaches Dean Young and Ben Hornby.

That win was one of just three Dragons victories in their past 16 outings against the Broncos with the other two coming in Wollongong [in 2010] and at Kogarah [2015]. It’s not pleasant reading for Dragons fans but coach Paul McGregor was unfazed when reminded of the recent history.

“We didn’t have this side in ‘09,” McGregor said.

“We understand the challenge that’s in front of us but it’s a different group every year and a different challenge each time so [the record] doesn’t concern me too much.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4853784/brisbane-record-not-a-concern/?cs=3713

ALSGI

Bench
Korbin Sims relishing battle with older brother Tariq as Broncos look to end Dragons shot at NRL finals

KORBIN Sims has predicted a “fiery encounter” is on the cards when his Brisbane Broncos attempt to end the season of brother Tariq’s Dragons.

The Sims brothers will clash at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night in a game St George-Illawarra must win to stay in finals contention.

There is just as much on the line for the Broncos who will have a home semi-final and double chance if they can hold on to their spot in the top two.

After four seasons at Newcastle, Korbin returned to the Broncos late in the pre-season and has cemented a spot in Brisbane’s starting front row.

The 25-year-old has only missed one match this season and is ready to butt heads with his big brother.

“It’s going to be fiery if we have an encounter together,” Korbin said.

“That’s football. There is no love lost between Tariq and I. We both know that. We have played against each other before.

“I haven’t really spoken to him yet. I’ll try and treat it like another game.”

The Dragons burst out of the blocks this season and were destined to play finals, only to suffer a fade out which has seen them drop to ninth.

On the other hand the Broncos have quietly been going about their business and one more win will all but secure a crucial top-four finish.

The move north has been a godsend for Sims following some tough seasons at Newcastle and he wants to make the most of the position the Broncos are in.

“I personally think I’m helping out the team as best as I can,” he said.

“I thought with a fresh start, new club and new year I was just trying to make the side to start.

“To be 20-odd games in with the Broncos has been a great incentive for myself.

“I’m trying to play some decent footy for the club.”

Broncos captain Darius Boyd is expected to be available for the Dragons game despite suffering an unfortunate injury in last Friday’s win against Cronulla.

Boyd broke a tooth and will undergo surgery this week to remove it.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/98ebee9e5bff1eac1044cb8df9bfe534

ALSGI

Bench
Kahu was sin binned in the Donkeys last game, with 5 mins left at full time.

Does anyone know if this carry's over in this game ?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Mate, I was there that night as well.
We basically had half of the reserve grade team playing that night.
Great feeling at the end of the match and big celebrations afterwards.
Only better finish at Suncorp for us was in 2007 when B Moz scored in the corner off a Matty Head kick.
Step up to the plate one Mr Aaron Gorrell, nailed it from the sideline on the siren, I was sitting in the Caxton end corner right in line with it. Basically cried from excitement.
Next morning when I got home after sunrise I was crying again as the wife wasn't too happy with my all night celebrations :grimacing::thumbsup:

I think you'll find the Brett Morris/Aaron Gorrell 'escape act' was in 2006.

It was my first experience of Suncorp Stadium, and the amount of vitriol I heard (particularly at Mark Gasnier) made me associate the term 'bogan' with Brisbane Broncos supporters.

Note the alliteration.

to_ddeath

Coach
McMediocre has obviously penned this upcoming game down as a loss already...
2 more years after this of losing up at Suncorpse, cannot frickin wait.....

T.

Red V for life

Juniors
I should probably wait till the team is announced coz you never know...Mann might just make way for McCrone, but whatever.

I reckon our forwards will be primed for this game and at worst will hold the Donkeys in the middle.

I think we need to look to our "unknowns" in the backs to get the lollies this week...Mann and Dufty. This is where our "x" factor is for mine and we could catch them off guard.

Assuming the forwards hold/win the battle in the middle, I'd be cutting these two loose on Friday. There's no point just being competitive, we need to win...and not only to possibly make the 8.

I'm pretty sure they are up to it. Dufty's first few touches will be vital confidence wise and I expect a lot will come his way. Mann is just an in and out competitor.

Just my 2 cents as game day approaches.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
This is a game that will really test Saints. It is a shame that they are in this position as they have been better than Manly (flogged them twice), Sharks and Penrith. Realistically they should be 5th if not 4th but because of their bad attitude, poor selection of McCrone and these bad lapses when they think the game is over are fighting for a top 8 place.

It is good in a way as if they do make the finals it will be on the back of good form and will lay a good platform for them going into the finals. If they lose it will be a strange feeling as it was not expected before round 1, then we thought finals would be a gimme to know being a 50/50. All that promise gone to waste. Hopefully they will learn from this.

At the end of the day it would be a wasted opportunity if they do not make the playoffs in the end as teams in the bottom 8 will only get better next season so we may not see top 8 spot as easy as they have this season. Losing to the bottom 8 sides is heartbreaking.

At the end of the day this years comp is Melbourne's to lose. The NRL will do whatever in their powers to make it happen. They can even run at you with their knees to the head of opponents and not get suspended. Imagine if that connected which is luckily didn't. Are they saying there wa sno intent theor to injure the opposition players? God help if a Saints player did that? He would be looking at a life ban.

Bench
It's a long time since we were have two players with the X factor.
I believe we can out muscle their forwards but we need to be able to do this for 89 minutes.
Duffy and Mann just have to be backing up any breaks from our forwards.
If we beat the Broncis we should make the eight.
McIdiot needs to develop a game plan so Dufty gets the ball.
Of course the pressure is on to manage the bench.

Life's Good

Coach
The difference between a win or loss will be our edge defence.
Our forwards can match or dominate, we can score short & long range tries. Our line defence isn't too bad. It's our edges that is the problem. Too much rushing & grabbing. If that is tightened up we can win.

ALSGI

Bench
http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/08/15/nrl_team_round_24_v_.html

1. Matt Dufty
2. Nene Macdonald
3. Josh Dugan
4. Tim Lafai
5. Jason Nightingale
6. Gareth Widdop (c)
7. Kurt Mann
8. Leeson Ah Mau
9. Cameron McInnes
10. Paul Vaughan
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Joel Thompson
13. Jack de Belin
Interchange:
14. Tariq Sims
15. Hame Sele
16. Blake Lawrie
17. Taane Milne
18. Josh McCrone
19. Will Matthews
20. Luciano Leilua
21. Euan Aitken

Belta

Juniors
If MacDonald comes off his wing one more time to allow his opposing winger to stroll over untouched I'll cry.

Life's Good

Coach
http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/08/15/nrl_team_round_24_v_.html

1. Matt Dufty
2. Nene Macdonald
3. Josh Dugan
4. Tim Lafai
5. Jason Nightingale
6. Gareth Widdop (c)
7. Kurt Mann
8. Leeson Ah Mau
9. Cameron McInnes
10. Paul Vaughan
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Joel Thompson
13. Jack de Belin
Interchange:
14. Tariq Sims
15. Hame Sele
16. Blake Lawrie
17. Taane Milne
18. Josh McCrone
19. Will Matthews
20. Luciano Leilua
21. Euan Aitken
Cometh the hour, cometh the Mann.
Still not convinced Dugan will play. Would that mean Milne to start & McCrone on the bench?? Surely not.

dragon-83

Juniors
The difference between a win or loss will be our edge defence.
Our forwards can match or dominate, we can score short & long range tries. Our line defence isn't too bad. It's our edges that is the problem. Too much rushing & grabbing. If that is tightened up we can win.
Yea the edge defense is a real worry.

possm

Coach
I was thinking this yesterday, the team would be in a much better position if McF#*kwit started the year with Dufty. And anyone but McCrone.

Straight Shooter

How many time did many on here call for Dufty at 1, Mann at 7 and Dugan to centre only to be blasted with words of;

Dufty is not read, or Dufty to light for first grade, or Dufty cannot defend.
Mann is not a half, Mann cannot kick, Mann cannot organize or run direct.

Well if Mary and his friends/advisers had listen the experts on this forum, we might be still leading the competition.

I mean, how many games were lost because McCronee had a bad day, Dugan did not chime in or pass the ball and oour right edge leaked points?

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL Team: Round 24 v Brisbane Broncos
Tue 15th August, 04:01PM
A A

1502769988823.jpg;pv20fbf655402eaca1

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has named a 21-man squad for the Round 24 clash against the Brisbane Broncos at Suncorp Stadium on Friday, August 18.

Kurt Mann retains his place at halfback although Josh McCrone (groin) has been named at 18th man.

Tariq Sims and Leeson Ah Mau swap between starting and the interchange, while Euan Aikten (shoulder) remains a chance of returning after being named in the reserves.

NRL Squad for Round 24 v Brisbane Broncos:

1. Matt Dufty
2. Nene Macdonald
3. Josh Dugan
4. Tim Lafai
5. Jason Nightingale
6. Gareth Widdop (c)
7. Kurt Mann
8. Leeson Ah Mau
9. Cameron McInnes
10. Paul Vaughan
11. Tyson Frizell