What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Every finals match so far ruined!

Was Walker Offside

• Yes

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • No

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Too close to call, stay with on-field decision

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters

Knightmare

Coach
There are a few factors as to why finals crowds weren't higher- some of which the NRL could act on. But on saying that, unless you follow a star-studded team who can dig their way out of trouble, at the moment the inconsistency with officiating poses too much of a threat to teams down on "star power".

If the Knights make the semis next year and play in NSW, I'd probably go (seeing the NRL team in finals again would have a novelty feel to it) BUT...if things stay as they've been, I'll have trepidation at realising there's a good chance my team will get dicked and it'll spoil what may end up a close game...

adamkungl

Immortal
What problems would they be, the farce in rule interpretation that has crept in ?

Sydney's problem in game attendance goes deeper than one issue.
People seem to have a myriad of excuses they tell themselves to avoid going to the footy, while claiming to be a huge lifelong fan, talking about footy all week and writing angry We wUZ RobBEd posts on Facebook.

NRL needs to dig into these excuses and publicly address them. A lot of things need improvement for sure. Some need some good solid marketing smarts. Everyone complains about ticket prices but no one seems to realise that family tickets are actually dirt cheap.

Your club and my club have 400,000 odd people between them claiming to be fans on Facebook. A tiny percentage might live interstate or overseas. How many of them regularly show up to games? 15k out of 200? Most of my mates who spend 90% of their time talking about footy, who are well off with no kids, who aren't doomsday-NRL-is-dying merchants, live within an hour of their teams home games - still manage to get to about 2 games a year. Rather go to the pub. Why?

GongPanther

Referee
Rugby League needs to go back to what made it great. A fast, open game. Ditch the video ref, we don't need forensics for every try scored. You can't even celebrate a try, because you need to wait five minutes for a full investigation into it. Mistakes will happen, they happen anyway, but more mistakes in a far more entertaining game is a fair trade off.

Sound and reasonable logic.But that doesn't count for nothing when the chicken mob have their product seen over 1,200 times per season,after every try that is...not counting the full replays and highlights reels.

Yep,the chicken mob are on a winner there.That why the bunker is here to stay.

OldPanther

Coach
Sound and reasonable logic.But that doesn't count for nothing when the chicken mob have their product seen over 1,200 times per season,after every try that is...not counting the full replays and highlights reels.

Yep,the chicken mob are on a winner there.That why the bunker is here to stay.

To be fair it should stay. The argument would just become "we have the technology so use it to limit the ref getting things wrong".

GongPanther

Referee
You take away the video ref or bunker like fools like Phil Gould want and watch the uproar from fools like Phil Gould when a mistake is picked up by technology.
Not taking the piss AG,but could you rephrase this^.Looks like you left a word or two in your editing.And I'm dyslexic.

Parra Pride

Coach
The thing that frustrates me the most is that the refs can miss a blatantly forward pass for the first Melbourne try, yet turn around in the second half with some kind of pin point vision and see when the same merkin grazed less than an inch of the touch line and call him out.

GongPanther

Referee
Just on the Curtis Scott pass to JAC. I've had a few looks at it now and I'm convinced it definitely touched the Eels hand who plays at the ball and you can clearly see it changes after that point. Someone said it went forward because of the other eels player got to Scott but Scott had already passed the ball before Mannah touched him. It was the correct call
I thought there was a deflection off the defending player in real time.Replays seemed to confirm this.

GongPanther

Referee
It's absolute overkill. Same song, different singer each year.

Regardless of who wins the premiership each year there's a serious case of Tall Poppy Syndrome. Can guarantee whoever does go on to win the 2017 comp will have done so because of "the refs"
Yea,I hate it when the ref blows time on at the start of the game.Favouritism at it's worst!

The_Shield

Juniors
The thing that frustrates me the most is that the refs can miss a blatantly forward pass for the first Melbourne try, yet turn around in the second half with some kind of pin point vision and see when the same merkin grazed less than an inch of the touch line and call him out.
Or how about when they missed the NFL pass to Radradra for his try.

GongPanther

Referee
Sydney's problem in game attendance goes deeper than one issue.
People seem to have a myriad of excuses they tell themselves to avoid going to the footy, while claiming to be a huge lifelong fan, talking about footy all week and writing angry We wUZ RobBEd posts on Facebook.

NRL needs to dig into these excuses and publicly address them. A lot of things need improvement for sure. Some need some good solid marketing smarts. Everyone complains about ticket prices but no one seems to realise that family tickets are actually dirt cheap.

Your club and my club have 400,000 odd people between them claiming to be fans on Facebook. A tiny percentage might live interstate or overseas. How many of them regularly show up to games? 15k out of 200? Most of my mates who spend 90% of their time talking about footy, who are well off with no kids, who aren't doomsday-NRL-is-dying merchants, live within an hour of their teams home games - still manage to get to about 2 games a year. Rather go to the pub. Why?

Voilence at those Souths V Dogs and Easts V Dogs matches.At the Olympic Stadium (or Belmore?) when a bottle of water was thrown.

The x-factor in this is simple...crowd violence,and ppl have safer options. And btw,with Foxtel and Nine doing live games,the amount of ppl going has thinned out more.

And take in consideration for those out west who have to pay on those road toll freeways.$15 e/w is it?

Parra Pride

Coach
Or how about when they missed the NFL pass to Radradra for his try.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't surprised they didn't call that back. Shit calls went both ways, and you'd be as salty as Parra fans if we won by a small margin too. Doesn't change the fact that it's amazing how easily they can call somebody out without even a second doubt when he grazed less than an inch of the touch line, yet miss blatantly forward passes multiple times.

The_Shield

Juniors
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't surprised they didn't call that back. Shit calls went both ways, and you'd be as salty as Parra fans if we won by a small margin too. Doesn't change the fact that it's amazing how easily they can call somebody out without even a second doubt when he grazed less than an inch of the touch line, yet miss blatantly forward passes multiple times.
True but I don't think the Curtis Scott pass was forward at all. And it's definitely not blatantly obvious if it was. It clearly was hit by the Eels player

Jerkwad2000

Juniors
Just watched the replay againt and there are panthers players near Walker.Where he is right at the contact of the Manly player kicking it,he is clearly offside by at least 4-6 inches.

Sorry, can I just confirm that you are saying that you are certain that Walker was 4-6 inches in front of Green? 4-6 inches. Basically you pull your phone out of your pocket, place it on the ground, and that's how far in front he was. You are certain that he was 4-6 inches in front even though they were 15-20m apart on the field. The length of a mobile phone is definitive enough to overturn a live onfield decision of try.

I've heard that sport can be a game of inches, but that's just taking it to ridiculous levels.

Latest posts