What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Jerseys, Logos, Mock Ups, Photos ANYTHING

Saint Doc

Coach
I actually think the 2008/2013 RLWC logo is better inspiration for a RLIF logo.

Take the World Cup trophy silhouette away and just leave the player with the ball surrounded by the swirls forming a football outline.

Change the text to:

XIII
RUGBY LEAGUE

160px-2008_rugby.png

736px-2013_Rugby_League_World_Cup_logo.svg.png

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I actually think the 2008/2013 RLWC logo is better inspiration for a RLIF logo.

Take the World Cup trophy silhouette away and just leave the player with the ball surrounded by the swirls forming a football outline.

Change the text to:

XIII
RUGBY LEAGUE

160px-2008_rugby.png

736px-2013_Rugby_League_World_Cup_logo.svg.png

Not bad. Id put it against a black shield (make the colours pop, standard background instead of the jersey colours, establish the shield as THE rl image)..

An improvement on the name as well. RLIF is pretty cluncky; if they cant change to a catchy acronym like FIFA, a basic "Rugby League XIII" would be worth doing.

23032480_1474093665977769_8680606704402126512_n.jpg

Saint Doc

Coach
TOO perfect.

I cant believe it hasnt been done before.....

I feel we often get caught up with the idea that “Rugby League” is the name of the sport, rather than embracing the word league to reflect the competition.

Ie. Most would emphasise the word “league” in National Rugby League, as opposed to saying “National RUGBY League”. I know this is because RU have captured the term but we should be fighting for it.

World RUGBY League sounds so much better than Rugby League International Federation as the term ‘League’ is being used as the name of the sport, rather than both as the name of the sport AND as a word meaning “organisation”.

There used to be a sport called Rugby who were administered by the Rugby Union. Then teams broke away and formed their own league...The Rugby League. We’re still playing rugby!!

Ok this has gone way off topic!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I feel we often get caught up with the idea that “Rugby League” is the name of the sport, rather than embracing the word league to reflect the competition.

Ie. Most would emphasise the word “league” in National Rugby League, as opposed to saying “National RUGBY League”. I know this is because RU have captured the term but we should be fighting for it.

World RUGBY League sounds so much better than Rugby League International Federation as the term ‘League’ is being used as the name of the sport, rather than both as the name of the sport AND as a word meaning “organisation”.

There used to be a sport called Rugby who were administered by the Rugby Union. Then teams broke away and formed their own league...The Rugby League. We’re still playing rugby!!

Ok this has gone way off topic!

This is why im always going on about RLs terrible name...

We call ourselfs "rugby competition" then expect people to realize we are an independent sport.

I agree that we should hang onto "Rugby" (and, in the long term, look to surplant RU as THE Rugby). But using this as our only recognisable name, the exact same name as our biggest rival is insane.

What we should be doing is following the template of other Football codes (Australian Football, American Football, Association Football, Rugby football, etc). They all understan that, while it would be nice it ba known as "football", they will only ever achieve it is well established markets. Everywhere else, they realise that without that distinguishin name, any good work they do will be lost and confused with the hundred other "Footballs".

All we need is to call ourselves "------- Rugby" and we solve a whole lot of problems. "LEAGUE Rugby" (or some misspelled and trademarkable version of "League"), but persobally i think Gridiron Rugby is the way to go; it acknowledges the founding of RLs rules and it exploits the popularity of BOTH Rugby and Gridiron while still clearly stating that we are a different sport.

Last edited:

Cult03

Juniors
This is why im always going on about RLs terrible name...

We call ourselfs "rugby competition" then expect people to realize we are an independent sport.

I agree that we should hang onto "Rugby" (and, in the long term, look to surplant RU as THE Rugby). But using this as our only recognisable name, the exact same name as our biggest rival is insane.

What we should be doing is following the template of other Football codes (Australian Football, American Football, Association Football, Rugby football, etc). They all understan that, while it would be nice it ba known as "football", they will only ever achieve it is well established markets. Everywhere else, they realise that without that distinguishin name, any good work they do will be lost and confused with the hundred other "Footballs".

All we need is to call ourselves "------- Rugby" and we solve a whole lot of problems. "LEAGUE Rugby" (or some misspelled and trademarkable version of "League"), but persobally i think Gridiron Rugby is the way to go; it acknowledges the founding of RLs rules and it exploits the popularity of BOTH Rugby and Gridiron while still clearly stating that we are a different sport.
That sounds so stupid. You almost had me won over until you came out with Gridiron Rugby..

kdalymc

Bench
That sounds so stupid. You almost had me won over until you came out with Gridiron Rugby..

Same.
Now that this is a new thread, I'll once again say
Need to F off "league" and "rugby" all together.
Rugby is gone. They have won that. Rugby IS rugby union.
And league, wtf. League means organisation.
As dumb as it was, top ball was probably the most technically correct/apt word for us.
Haha

Jankuloski

Juniors
If you’re already discussing RLIF you should probably take into account the meaning of words internationally.

In countries where RL is a new sport, and on top of that RU is a niche sport, “Rugby” is the only thing we have going for us. Here’s how it usually goes:

You go to a class in high school, and kids have never seen an egg shaped ball. The first thing they do is chuck it like american football. Then you explain it’s RUGBY and we don’t wear helmets. Some kids then usually remember they’ve seen that on TV but understood nothing (RU international football, Olympics and World Cup mostly). Then we say “yeah, we play that, just a bit different”.

If we were to explain Topball or some other, more fortunate term it would still make it impossible to explain.

And by the way, the French and most of Europe uses Rugby Thirteen as the name. The English say “it was a good game of rugby” not “a good game of footy”. This is because football in Europe means soccer and this is what we try to differentiate ourselves most from.

So from an international standpoint, we should fight to reclaim RUGBY. We should not have let Rugby UNION or Rugby FIFTEEEN call their cup The RUGBY World cup, our world cup should’ve stayed The Rugby World Cup, as it was the first set up.

Rugby = Rugby union only really exists in Australia and NZ.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Same.
Now that this is a new thread, I'll once again say
Need to F off "league" and "rugby" all together.
Rugby is gone. They have won that. Rugby IS rugby union.
And league, wtf. League means organisation.
As dumb as it was, top ball was probably the most technically correct/apt word for us.
Haha

Ehh, im not that fond of the Gridiron Rugby thing either. Im just want people to see the problem with the current branding and realise how easy it would be to fix...

The reason i make that shitty suggesting is:
A) there is no great option; if there was, it would already be in use. A change like this would take a push
B) Its not enough to convince people of a problem; even if 80% of people want change, its no good unless they are united in what they want it changed to. If the 80% have 80 different options, the conservative 20% win by default.
C) Gridiron Rugby allows us to exploit the awareness of the American Football brand as well as the Rugby brand (and i could give you a full dissertation of how RL actualy originated in the US before moving to England later)

Having said that, there are plenty of potential names.

- NRL Football is shit be its the path of least resistance
- Something to reference RLs history as a working class offshoot of RU (Rebel Rugby, Legion Rugby, etc)
- Something that references the unique aspects of RL as a sport (Shieldwall Rugby; to reference the defencive lines formation before every play, Vanguard Rugby; to reference the style of players running into the No-mans land between the two teams)

I know they all sound kind of shit, but use them enough and, like anything, they become normal.

And this isnt even important in RL strongholds, it is only once we get into emerging markets that this becomes necesary. Rename the RLIF and comps in emerging markets and, in 10 years, the name might be common enough to catch on in Aust/England...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
If you’re already discussing RLIF you should probably take into account the meaning of words internationally.

In countries where RL is a new sport, and on top of that RU is a niche sport, “Rugby” is the only thing we have going for us. Here’s how it usually goes:

You go to a class in high school, and kids have never seen an egg shaped ball. The first thing they do is chuck it like american football. Then you explain it’s RUGBY and we don’t wear helmets. Some kids then usually remember they’ve seen that on TV but understood nothing (RU international football, Olympics and World Cup mostly). Then we say “yeah, we play that, just a bit different”.

If we were to explain Topball or some other, more fortunate term it would still make it impossible to explain.

And by the way, the French and most of Europe uses Rugby Thirteen as the name. The English say “it was a good game of rugby” not “a good game of footy”. This is because football in Europe means soccer and this is what we try to differentiate ourselves most from.

So from an international standpoint, we should fight to reclaim RUGBY. We should not have let Rugby UNION or Rugby FIFTEEEN call their cup The RUGBY World cup, our world cup should’ve stayed The Rugby World Cup, as it was the first set up.

Rugby = Rugby union only really exists in Australia and NZ.

I totally agree that "Rugby" is a valuable name to be associated with, but ONLY using that is an ALL OR NOTHING gamble that we will probably lose...

This is why i think "Something Rugby" is the best approach; in the long term, we might claim the word Rugby as our own, but in the short term, we dont lose all of our good publicity to RU.

Ive lived overseas for about 3 years now and it is infuriating to see RL held back by its own stupid branding. I have wandered into pubs in Spain and seen Origin on the TV, yet when i take to the people watching they ask "why are the Wallabies are so shit when these guys are so good?".

I understand the desire to keep the Rugby brand, but at a point the belligerence in refusing to adapt just becomes counter productive. Im not even asking for much here, just a distinct brand that people who didnt grow up with the RL-RU split can understand...

mistertaylor

Juniors
My mockup of NQ jersey based on 2018 home strip. Club colours are blue & grey so it makes sense to incorporate the darker grey into the design.

Attachments

• sketch-1510110830714.png
    sketch-1510110830714.png
    905.6 KB · Views: 4
My club is thinking of updating our logo but we don't have the cash to get a graphic designer to do it.

So would any forum arty types be keen to help us come up with a new emblem or at least update our old one? I'm offering a 2018 jersey as a prize for the chosen design.
@Nuke @GAZF

If anyone's keen I will post images and some info about what we're after etc. Reply or send me a message.

Probably should have gone in the mock-ups thread but never mind.

Rooster8

Juniors
My club is thinking of updating our logo but we don't have the cash to get a graphic designer to do it.

So would any forum arty types be keen to help us come up with a new emblem or at least update our old one? I'm offering a 2018 jersey as a prize for the chosen design.
@Nuke @GAZF

If anyone's keen I will post images and some info about what we're after etc. Reply or send me a message.

Probably should have gone in the mock-ups thread but never mind.

Why not make it a competition, and let everyone who wants to be involved submit their logo