What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John ribot on sterlo...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Absolute crap reflection of the situation in Sydney and no grasp of the positive feeling in Newcastle toward the Sydney based clubs.I will inform you now if any of the clubs dissappear from Sydney their fans both in that area and outside of Sydney will not follow the code. People follow teams for numerous or only one reason. If those or that reason goes so does the fan. But you haven't figured that out yet!? HOW DUMB!

You admit you following the roosters because you liked their jersey. So by your own admission you’d be a supporter of them wherever they played as long as the jersey remained the same?

Perth Red

Post Whore
That maybe the case, but they help each other because in the long run they know it helps the game as a whole.

No,they do as they’re told because the afl knows how to control the clubs! I’m damn sure the eagles would rather not be paying a ticket tax and getting $7million less in the grant just so a non sustainable Bulldogs and st killda can survive!

Stallion

First Grade
You admit you following the roosters because you liked their jersey. So by your own admission you’d be a supporter of them wherever they played as long as the jersey remained the same?

That wss the initial grab mate! And if they do not continue to use that jersey they will eventuslly lose my support as I'm not a fan of the Roosters calling themselves the Sydney Roosters. I believe it should be a much more accurate name like: East Sydney Roosters. Thats another aspect in how people support clubs. And the longevity is a badge of resilience , familiarity and acceptance. Things you don't understand.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
That wss the initial grab mate! And if they do not continue to use that jersey they will eventuslly lose my support as I'm not a fan of the Roosters calling themselves the Sydney Roosters. I believe it should be a much more accurate name like: East Sydney Roosters. Thats another aspect in how people support clubs. And the longevity is a badge of resilience , familiarity and acceptance. Things you don't understand.

So if they became the CC Roosters, with the same jersey you’d be in?
Perth roosters? Brisbane roosters? I think you get the point.

And clearly being called the east Sydney Roosters is not a key decider in fans following them. The vast majority of south sydney fans do not live in south sydney!

Had a discussion with family members who are ardent Saints fans but don't attend games.

I suggested that 10,000 odd at Kogarah wasn't good enough.

Oh but all the eyeballs are TV watching.

So I said take money and play in Adelaide. You'll still watch them on TV home and away. Still get thousands of Saints supporters watching in Sydney, build a fan base and crowd in Adelaide , Jersey and history remains. Voila.

The true Saints folk who go to games will still go to Sydney games when they fly over so best of both worlds.

Stallion

First Grade
So if they became the CC Roosters, with the same jersey you’d be in?
Perth roosters? Brisbane roosters? I think you get the point.

And clearly being called the east Sydney Roosters is not a key decider in fans following them. The vast majority of south sydney fans do not live in south sydney!

? I certainly would not be in! Don't know what made you think that! The East Sydney Roosters(my recommended name) need to wake up and look after their own area instead of looking for the lazy/easier option. That's my stance.

Stallion

First Grade
Had a discussion with family members who are ardent Saints fans but don't attend games.

So I said take money and play in Adelaide. You'll still watch them on TV home and away. Still get thousands of Saints supporters watching in Sydney, build a fan base and crowd in Adelaide , Jersey and history remains. Voila.

The true Saints folk who go to games will still go to Sydney games when they fly over so best of both worlds.

The last paragraph showed a real issue. The game would die in both Illawarra and St George areas. Its got to be local. Generations of support have been created from this genuine localness. It's bit like something you can pass off as a tv satisfaction (it will do thing). The code's presence is paramount. Tv only does a certain amount however the fabric of the club and its roots are more than that. It's a local culture.

Last edited:

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
? I certainly would not be in! Don't know what made you think that! The East Sydney Roosters(my recommended name) need to wake up and look after their own area instead of looking for the lazy/easier option. That's my stance.

But you want the bears to look after the central coast plus there own local area? WTF?

Stormwarrior82

Juniors

Same could be said for the bears in adelaide.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Who do you follow Doc? How long have you followed your team?

I followed the Steelers until the merge, now i am a Knights fan...

(I will never support a Dragons team, but i am not delusional enough to think the Steelers could have survived on their own. I DEFINITELY dont think they have some divine right to a place in the NRL.)

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Youre clearly not THAT worried about respecting club heritage since the Roosters have never been "East Sydney".

It is absolutely the best name for them going forward, but you have been preaching against this thinking since you started here...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The last paragraph showed a real issue. The game would die in both Illawarra and St George areas. Its got be local. Generations of support have been created grom this genuine localness. Its bit something you can pass of as a tv satisfaction (it will do thing). The codes presence is paramount. Tv only does a certain amount however the fabric of the club and its roots are more than that. It's a local culture.

Except everywhere outside of Sydney where they happily threw away decades of local comp history for a united team in the Sydney comp.

Its almost like you think people within the Sydney boarder are a different species to everyone outside. One rule for Sydney and another for everyone else

Stallion

First Grade
But you want the bears to look after the central coast plus there own local area? WTF?

The question was referring to the Roosters not the BEARS! I'm all for the BEARS on the Central Coast. Should have happened 20 years ago. I shudder to think how many full house derbies between the Bears, Newcastle and Manly that the code and fans have missed out on!

Stallion

First Grade
Youre clearly not THAT worried about respecting club heritage since the Roosters have never been "East Sydney".

It is absolutely the best name for them going forward, but you have been preaching against this thinking since you started here...

I'm aware of the Roosters name situation. As I have indicated, I believe that's the most appropriate name for this club in a national competition which has worldwide interest. EAST SYDNEY ROOSTERS.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Except everywhere outside of Sydney where they happily threw away decades of local comp history for a united team in the Sydney comp.

Its almost like you think people within the Sydney boarder are a different species to everyone outside. One rule for Sydney and another for everyone else

Sydney is very different to the way you are understanding things. The core clubs of a very well known national football competition are fundamental to its credibility and supporter bases which are not just in their local area but around Australia . You still haven't worked this out?!

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I followed the Steelers until the merge, now i am a Knights fan...

(I will never support a Dragons team, but i am not delusional enough to think the Steelers could have survived on their own. I DEFINITELY dont think they have some divine right to a place in the NRL.)

Why wouldn't you follow the Dragons they play in the Illawarra?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
No,they do as they’re told because the afl knows how to control the clubs! I’m damn sure the eagles would rather not be paying a ticket tax and getting $7million less in the grant just so a non sustainable Bulldogs and st killda can survive!

I've heard Eddie McGuire say many times how he understands the economics of football and they need to help the Melbourne clubs as it's good for football....interstate clubs on the other hand is a different matter as they have alot more advantages

LeagueXIII

First Grade

What they should have done for St.George is build a rectangular boutique stadium at Kogarah.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
The last paragraph showed a real issue. The game would die in both Illawarra and St George areas. Its got be local. Generations of support have been created grom this genuine localness. Its bit something you can pass of as a tv satisfaction (it will do thing). The codes presence is paramount. Tv only does a certain amount however the fabric of the club and its roots are more than that. It's a local culture.

Agreed...one of the big problems in the history of rugby league is as soon as it gets too hard we move away and give up, take the easy option.

LeagueXIII

First Grade

Basic economics, the money is in Sydney, the TV audience and sponsors. We could keep traditional leagues but it would be small fry. I liked when Brisbane, Newcastle, Canberra, Illawarra even Auckland and Christchurch had thriving competitions. I lived in Newcastle and watched Macquarie Utd play, but name one club from these competitions that could draw 20,000 to a home game and pull 1million on TV? Sadly it's economics