What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John ribot on sterlo...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
? If you care to observe the example of a rival code in AFL this code has not dismantled most of its established based clubs. Their is a reason for this its called established market share along with cultural/locality significance. I see you have also backtracked on your reasoned stance backing at least 9 Sydney clubs a few weeks ago? Amazing hypocrisy and lunacy from yourself and PR!

So why can we accept united teams everywhere else, but we need local teams in every suburb of Sydney?

I know, I know. TV in the 70s made the Sydney teams famous.

Except that blows a hole in your first arguement. If their value comes from their TV audiences, then it doesnt matter where they play so long as they wear the jumper. Moving a Sydney club to Perth is fine then.

It also proves that fans can grow to love new teams very quickly. "Forget those local teams, a few years of Sydney teams on the telly and they were hooked". Great, lets do it again.

But of course, "Sydney is different because........"

Stallion

First Grade
Its funny how the same people who say we should look to the VFL for guidance on the comp structure are they same ones who refust to take the lesson on centralised stadiums.

They sustain 10 Melbourne teams because shared venues means huge crowds. You cant cherrypick; if you want one, you need to accept the other.

If youre gonna say Syndey clubs should stay in their suburban grounds, then they can play there in Reserve grade...

Geography and the travel network in Sydney is far different to Melbourne. That is why its very different! Plus a million more people in Sydney with one less top flight club as well.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Sydney is different from Melbourne, rather than play out of a central stadium I believe we should have looked at each club having boutique stadiums of 25,000 and big games played at ANZ if needed. As many Sydney games should be played in the afternoon on a Sunday as possible. This will help invigorate the game in Sydney again.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Geography and the travel network in Sydney is far different to Melbourne. That is why its very different! Plus a million more people in Sydney with one less top flight club as well.

Ahhh, so Melbourne and Sydney are the same when it is convenient for you and they are different when it is convienent for you.

Really, it just sounds like you are cherrypicking facts to suit your agenda.

And this still ignores the fact: if suburban Sydney clubs can only get 10k to games and are only valuable because they are recognisable on TV, when do they NEED to stay in their suburban parks? Why cant they play in Perth or Brisbane or a central stadium? From the lounge room they are all the same (except the atmosphere is better in the new places).

Nah, yours is the Sydney-centric crap that holds the game back...

Stallion

First Grade
Ahhh, so Melbourne and Sydney are the same when it is convenient for you and they are different when it is convienent for you.

Really, it just sounds like you are cherrypicking facts to suit your agenda.

And this still ignores the fact: if suburban Sydney clubs can only get 10k to games and are only valuable because they are recognisable on TV, when do they NEED to stay in their suburban parks? Why cant they play in Perth or Brisbane or a central stadium? From the lounge room they are all the same (except the atmosphere is better in the new places).

Nah, yours is the Sydney-centric crap that holds the game back...

And your logic poses certain disaster for the code! Fancy disrespecting the millions of fans that love these Sydney clubs you have a consistent disregard for. Im not from Sydney but follow a Sydney based club!? Pretty sure Im.not the only one that follows a Sydney club! What you propose is what is termed an "implosion". Look it up its your logic to the letter!

King hit

Coach
Just read the chapter on the Hunter Mariners. It's just unbelievable that Super League seriously thought this would work. Did they really believe that the people of Newcastle would abandon the Knights. What morons. Fascinating to see just how trying to take over Newcastle turned so much against them as they were now fighting a whole city and public opinion turned against them completely.

Stallion

First Grade
Just read the chapter on the Hunter Mariners. It's just unbelievable that Super League seriously thought this would work. Did they really believe that the people of Newcastle would abandon the Knights. What morons. Fascinating to see just how trying to take over Newcastle turned so much against them as they were now fighting a whole city and public opinion turned against them completely.

It's ironic when you reflect. Im a Novocastrian that lived in the city and still does .The win for the Knights was euphoric. The biggest outdoor gathering of people in Newcastle's Civic park (100000)and then the peace deal was a total capitulation by the administrators whom should have known better. Ken Arthurson admits to this devastating mistake in an interview with Peter Sterling on Fox rugbyleague last year. A very sad irony for a great competition. The good guys won the gf(public opinion wise) but lost the war!

King hit

Coach
Did you know anybody who openly supported the Mariners? I don't think there has ever been an Australian sporting team so detested. It's interesting that in their only season they actually had a pretty decent side and performed credibly.

Stallion

First Grade
Did you know anybody who openly supported the Mariners? I don't think there has ever been an Australian sporting team so detested. It's interesting that in their only season they actually had a pretty decent side and performed credibly.

Yes i did. They were often friends of players that were disenfranchised by the ARL clubs or the Knights. Suppose they thought it was their "duty" as friends to give them support. These people often towed the News ltd line when talking about footy which now looking back was intetesting. As the flawed logic that prevailed was promoted and propagated by News Ltd . And now we see a mess in Sydney and a smaller top flight comp as a result.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
And your logic poses certain disaster for the code! Fancy disrespecting the millions of fans that love these Sydney clubs you have a consistent disregard for.

It worked in literally every other city in the nation....

The Broncos disregarded the BRL and became the most popular team in the comp. The Knights disregarded the Newcastle comp and now have the most passionate supporters.

But, right, "Sydney is different because, ummmm....."

Im not from Sydney but follow a Sydney based club!? Pretty sure Im.not the only one that follows a Sydney club! What you propose is what is termed an "implosion". Look it up its your logic to the letter!

Ok, so it doesnt matter to you where they play, since you watch from the loungeroom anyway.

Or is it important to see empty suburban stands on your tv?

It's ironic when you reflect. Im a Novocastrian that lived in the city and still does .The win for the Knights was euphoric. The biggest outdoor gathering of people in Newcastle's Civic park (100000)and then the peace deal was a total capitulation by the administrators whom should have known better. Ken Arthurson admits to this devastating mistake in an interview with Peter Sterling on Fox rugbyleague last year. A very sad irony for a great competition. The good guys won the gf(public opinion wise) but lost the war!

Its funny that you speak so fondly on the Knights, given they usurped an 80 year old comp and disregarded all of these local club loyalties.

Surely they represent everything you hate!

Stallion

First Grade
It worked in literally every other city in the nation....

The Broncos disregarded the BRL and became the most popular team in the comp. The Knights disregarded the Newcastle comp and now have the most passionate supporters.

But, right, "Sydney is different because, ummmm....."

Ok, so it doesnt matter to you where they play, since you watch from the loungeroom anyway.

Or is it important to see empty suburban stands on your tv?

Its funny that you speak so fondly on the Knights, given they usurped an 80 year old comp and disregarded all of these local club loyalties.

Surely they represent everything you hate!

Absolute crap reflection of the situation in Sydney and no grasp of the positive feeling in Newcastle toward the Sydney based clubs.I will inform you now if any of the clubs dissappear from Sydney their fans both in that area and outside of Sydney will not follow the code. People follow teams for numerous or only one reason. If those or that reason goes so does the fan. But you haven't figured that out yet!? HOW DUMB!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Absolute crap reflection of the situation in Sydney and no grasp of the positive feeling in Newcastle toward the Sydney based clubs.

Hahaha, so out admit the whole "local connections" thing is bullshit...

People in Newcastle follow Sydney teams, people in Sydney support god knows who.

The common thread is that most of the NRL fanbase follow from a distance through TV. So what is the problem with relocating teams? They will still be on TV just as often, but they might have a decent crowd watching on TV.

I will inform you now if any of the clubs dissappear from Sydney their fans both in that area and outside of Sydney will not follow the code. People follow teams for numerous or only one reason. If those or that reason goes so does the fan. But you haven't figured that out yet!? HOW DUMB!

Maybe we lose a portion. Some will go to new teams, some will just become general fan without a single team, some will stop watching.

If the brand is relocated, fans will still be able to follow their team on TV (as most fans do now).

Meanwhile, we get new fans in the new locations and the remaining Sydney clubs will move in to the area to take the next generations of fans.

Stallion

First Grade

People in Newcastle follow Sydney teams, people in Sydney support god knows who.

The common thread is that most of the NRL fanbase follow from a distance through TV. So what is the problem with relocating teams? They will still be on TV just as often, but they might have a decent crowd watching on TV.

Maybe we lose a portion. Some will go to new teams, some will just become general fan without a single team, some will stop watching.

If the brand is relocated, fans will still be able to follow their team on TV (as most fans do now).

Meanwhile, we get new fans in the new locations and the remaining Sydney clubs will move in to the area to take the next generations of fans.

"Maybe we lose a portion. .."? You are kidding. Their are thousands upon thousands that leave the code! What you get by dismantling longstanding clubs is the ready made neutral club fan that distantly followed the code because of that club GONE! This is replicated all over Australia due to the established familiarity of these clubs. Cannot believe how dumb you are! And the penny hasn't droped even despite you admitting so a few weeks ago!? Amazing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
"Maybe we lose a portion. .."? You are kidding. Their are thousands upon thousands that leave the code! What you get by dismantling longstanding clubs is the ready made neutral club fan that distantly followed the code because of that club GONE! This is replicated all over Australia due to the established familiarity of these clubs. Cannot believe how dumb you are! And the penny hasn't droped even despite you admitting so a few weeks ago!? Amazing.

Given your a Newcastle roosters fan, tell me if roosters relocated to Brisbane would you stop following them? And if yes why?

As for losing thousands, maybe we gain tens of thousands? Storm are quickly becoming one of the nrl’s best supported clubs despite their short existence and afl location.

Stallion

First Grade
Given your a Newcastle roosters fan, tell me if roosters relocated to Brisbane would you stop following them? And if yes why?

As for losing thousands, maybe we gain tens of thousands? Storm are quickly becoming one of the nrl’s best supported clubs despite their short existence and afl location.

If the Roosters moved to Brisbane I would suggest that is lunacy. For a start they would not be accepted by the locals and fans like me would be pissed off. Hope you can work that out.

Stallion

First Grade

Pretty sure another club in its own right can be easily profitable in Brisbane! No need to stuff up another part of this popular competition.

Stallion

First Grade
A third of the Melbourne club are financially screwed and exist because of the generosity of the wealthy clubs lol

So what they exist ! And that is the main objective. Clubs have their down periods in all sports. Something I don't think you understand? These clubs in their down periods still have significant support but as most people do they wait for the upside and cop it during the low times. Just like South Sydney did and they were unfailry kicked out and the league worked out they were losing massive support for the competition all over Australia !

Last edited:

LeagueXIII

First Grade

Who do you follow Doc? How long have you followed your team?

Latest posts