What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Im supporting Steve Smith

Front-Rower

First Grade

Lol what do you mean so what? Just like for the normal Joe blow who gets punted from his $40k per year job and can't pay their bills, buy food etc..there are support services out there who can help these blokes with their mental state and get them back on track.

undertaker

Coach
The thing that really stinks about this is the fact that the ban is the same as Warne got for being a drug cheat. That's enough to tell me it's patently over the top.

Warne's ban was initially 2 years, but got cut to one when CA knew how crucial he was to the side (much to the chagrin of Dick Pound from the IOC). Had he got the 2 year ban, I think he would've pulled the pin on his career.

Also, I don't recall the huge media witchhunt on Warney when that happened in 2003, compared to what Smith went through.
He was even doing paid commentary for Ch9 during the 2003/04 summer whilst he was still on drug suspension, like nothing ever happened.

The suspension ended up being a blessing in disguise for him, as it prolonged his career and allowed his popped shoulder to recover.

Wizardman

First Grade
Im more than happy with the action CA has taken. Obvious that some merkins on here are crying about it because of a tearful press conference.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Warner apologised via Twitter. Like the massive bag of dicks that he is.

Yup, has said he is gonna talk in a few days time

The media are gonna eat him alive until he does what Bancroft and Smith did

I think he will win a little respect back if he soley blamed himself for getting bancroft to do the deed and behind Smiths back (if thats what actually happened reading the articles). Probably should have done that on that first evening after play

Eelectrica

Referee
There are certainly some soft cocks on here.

I definitely feel for Smith on a human level. The punishment needed to be harsh to usher in some change to a team that has embarassed most Australians for some time now. Shame is a very strong motivator for change.
Smiths crime is that he didn't do anything. He didn't do anything to stop it. For that he should lose captaincy.

He also didn't do the deed or even plan it. For that he deserves some leniency. Up 'till now he's done a lot more good and the only harm done is to bowling averages.

If they don't want to pick him for the test team for a year, fine. CA's call who plays, but at least let him play other competitions until they are ready to allow him back in the test team.

stryker

First Grade
Lol what do you mean so what? Just like for the normal Joe blow who gets punted from his $40k per year job and can't pay their bills, buy food etc..there are support services out there who can help these blokes with their mental state and get them back on track.
So that makes it ok for you to anonymously continue laying the slipper in? You are a disgusting piece of garbage pal.

Iafeta

Referee
Man the two interviews from Smith and Bancroft, they were hard. I sincerely hope CA is looking out for their emotional well-being through the sanction.

I don’t at all agree with the way Australia has played its cricket. But I think in my mind the past week has pinned more of what I don’t like on Warner.

Smith and Bancroft come across as very genuine characters. I absolutely see the passion Steven Smith has for the game. If anything he has become more human to me in that I get an understanding of him as a person and his love of cricket. I can see clearly this is the lads life.

I truly hope he bounces back and strong. Even as a kiwi, I can legitimately see a man who loves the baggy green and I believe this has absolutely grounded him and will help him ensure his values of why he loves the game be brought forward in how he plays cricket.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Im more than happy with the action CA has taken. Obvious that some merkins on here are crying about it because of a tearful press conference.

Do you think a bloke like Smith, captain or not (and with a clean record) deserves the same punishment as noted f**kwit David Warner?

Yes, I saw the press conference, and felt so sorry for Steve Smith - but I can't see how he and Warner deserve equal punishments.

Warner has been a perpetual f**kstick, but Smith has always been respected on the field.

Bazal

Post Whore

I mean that it's completely irrelevant. And I'd wager I speak with greater authority on that than you do.

You don't reckon Robin Williams (for example) had access to the best care and support available? Sometimes it's utterly meaningless

I'd be very concerned with Smiths mental state

Front-Rower

First Grade
So that makes it ok for you to anonymously continue laying the slipper in? You are a disgusting piece of garbage pal.

Lol do you think Steve, Cam and Dave thought about the well-being of their team mates? Their coach (who somehow knew nothing about it)? The public of Australia or pay their hard earned to support them? I applaud Steve for coming out and admitting guilt however I have no time for cheats.

undertaker

Coach
The question is: will Bancroft/Smith/Warner contest the duration of the suspensions, and will they win against CA?

stryker

First Grade
Warne's ban was initially 2 years, but got cut to one when CA knew how crucial he was to the side (much to the chagrin of Dick Pound from the IOC). Had he got the 2 year ban, I think he would've pulled the pin on his career.

Also, I don't recall the huge media witchhunt on Warney when that happened in 2003, compared to what Smith went through.
He was even doing paid commentary for Ch9 during the 2003/04 summer whilst he was still on drug suspension, like nothing ever happened.

The suspension ended up being a blessing in disguise for him, as it prolonged his career and allowed his popped shoulder to recover.
Social media is the difference. If Warne did that in this day and age, the same keyboard cowards you see in here would destroy him.

Front-Rower

First Grade
I mean that it's completely irrelevant. And I'd wager I speak with greater authority on that than you do.

You don't reckon Robin Williams (for example) had access to the best care and support available? Sometimes it's utterly meaningless

I'd be very concerned with Smiths mental state

How can it be irrelevant? There are professional people out there fully trained to help people in these situations.

stryker

First Grade
Lol do you think Steve, Cam and Dave thought about the well-being of their team mates? Their coach (who somehow knew nothing about it)? The public of Australia or pay their hard earned to support them? I applaud Steve for coming out and admitting guilt however I have no time for cheats.
Theyve been penalised for that. Obviously not well enough for you though.
Now you are going to start on Lehman as well? Get a life, seriously.

Iafeta

Referee
They lied in the press conference ffs and to the match officials

Suspensions incredibly harsh though

I hear it was Warner’s idea and he wrangled Bancroft into it. Smith from what I’ve heard really didn’t know too much about it, but as captain, appeared to be prepared to take the bullet. In the press conference, I found him to be incredibly naive and if anything overly open about what had happened.

Bazal

Post Whore
How can it be irrelevant? There are professional people out there fully trained to help people in these situations.

Because it's utterly irrelevant when you feel you can't even get out of bed, when you feel so totally and completely hopeless that even waking up is agonising. Why should you get help if you're worthless? What's the point?

I'll say it again. You reckon Robin Williams just didn't have access to help?