What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Im supporting Steve Smith

mave

Coach
The Bancroft interview was genuinely painful. The Smith was just tragic.
I’m like many in that they did the wrong thing & deserve punishment but, FMD, it’s a game of cricket & they’ve done no worse than plenty of others. And the Commonwealth Bank pulling their sponsorship of Smith makes me cringe. They’ve done far worse as an organisation & impacted more people yet now suddenly ‘find Jesus’. F*ck off, along with the ambulance chasers.

Haha. The Comm bank are the leaders in ethical behaviour.

Front-Rower

First Grade
He cheated at sport

He and the others bought their employer, who compensate them very handsomely, into disrepute and damaged the integrity of the entire set up. As a consequence, CA have lost a major naming rights sponsor to the tune of $20 million and that was regardless of the punishment handed down.

If Sutherland and CA backed their players in this situation the consequences could possibly be far worse, espeically with a TV rights deal to be sorted, and with the revenue sharing model their team mates would end up playing for a pie and coke.

Ffs it irks me that the "good blokes" mantra has come out. This isn't a group of mates playing local park C grade for something to do on a Saturday, it's these blokes jobs/careers who are representing Australia.

stryker

First Grade
I think Smith and Bancroft went a long way tonight to turning the tide of public opinion their way.
I hope so as having their lives completely ruined over this is way over board. If this was Kohli or DeViliers, would we be witnessing the same outcomes? Surely not.

stryker

First Grade
He and the others bought their employer, who compensate them very handsomely, into disrepute and damaged the integrity of the entire set up. As a consequence, CA have lost a major naming rights sponsor to the tune of $20 million and that was regardless of the punishment handed down.

If Sutherland and CA backed their players in this situation the consequences could possibly be far worse, espeically with a TV rights deal to be sorted, and with the revenue sharing model their team mates would end up playing for a pie and coke.

Ffs it irks me that the "good blokes" mantra has come out. This isn't a group of mates playing local park C grade for something to do on a Saturday, it's these blokes jobs/careers who are representing Australia.
Im not disputing that. Im disagreeing with this mentality that society continues to kick them when they are down and out. Would it make you happier if one of them killed themselves? FFS indeed

T-Boon

Coach
And the Commonwealth Bank pulling their sponsorship of Smith makes me cringe. They’ve done far worse as an organisation & impacted more people yet now suddenly ‘find Jesus’. F*ck off, along with the ambulance chasers.

Totally agree.
The NRL should step in and sponsor Smith. Get him to do a bunch of ads. NRL is the second chance, bad boy sport. Pay him to promote WNRL. He will be the best second chance story in the country 12 months from now.

Timbo

Staff member
I genuinely do feel for Smith. I don't think for a moment he was involved in the planning of it, or anticipated that this would be the outcome, but it was on his watch and the buck stops with the captain.

I look forward to him coming back better than ever in a years time.

Pommy

Coach
That interview has certainly made me like Smith more than I ever have before, before this he just had a face I would love to punch.
I feel bad for him, everyone f**ks up and gets led astray, but there are consequences for that in every walk of life.
I still support CA’s stance on matter but I also want to see Smith back in the side and being an integral member of the Australian team when he has paid his dues.

Wizardman

First Grade
There are certainly some soft cocks on here.

I definitely feel for Smith on a human level. The punishment needed to be harsh to usher in some change to a team that has embarassed most Australians for some time now. Shame is a very strong motivator for change.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Im not disputing that. Im disagreeing with this mentality that society continues to kick them when they are down and out. Would it make you happier if one of them killed themselves? FFS indeed

Why do you keep bringing up that they are going to kill themselves? They probably have access to the best support groups and doctors that money can buy.

The media will praise them when they do good and hammer when they do bad which is what has happened in this situation. It comes with the position they are in and the money they earn.

undertaker

Coach
This interview is hard viewing.

f**k the media.

Look what they've done to a good young man who's inspired and brought joy to so many Australians.

ONE MISTAKE and you put him through this?

f**king disgraceful.

Any merkin that has lapped it up and bought into the mob lynching needs to take a deep breath.

And James Sutherland can go f**k himself for failing to protect Smith.

The media/press conference reminds me of the whole Matthew Johns controversy in 2009, the interview him and his wife did with Tracey Grimshaw, and The Footy Show the following evening where Gus Gould cried. The witchhunt from the likes of Bourbon Bec/Grimshaw et al. was disgusting.

stryker

First Grade
There are certainly some soft cocks on here.

I definitely feel for Smith on a human level. The punishment needed to be harsh to usher in some change to a team that has embarassed most Australians for some time now. Shame is a very strong motivator for change.
Heres another merkin who doesnt understand what people are saying. Honestly, you guys are as thick as pig shit.

undertaker

Coach
I am fully behind Steve Smith as well and I seriously choked back the tears watching that presser.

I seriously hope Steve Smith is allowed to play cricket again in and for Australia ASAP. Naivity is his greatest crime.

As for Dave Warner - who cares. Warner has potentially ruined a legendary batsman's (Smith) career.

If Smith never plays for Australia again, of all batsmen with 6000+ test runs, he will retire with the 2nd highest batting average of all time (behind Bradman).

Quite a meteoric rise from being initially selected back in 2010 as one of a long list of front-line spinners Australia has used in the post-Warne era, to averaging 60+ and scoring 23 test centuries.

Last edited:

Meapro Ham

Juniors
Warner is a gutless coward for not being at that press conference with Smith. Unless they have a separate one planned for him?

Pathetic. Smith will be back. Warner, good riddance.

The fact they have not been seen together since the incident is telling. Their relationship is done and so is Warner’s Aussie career.

undertaker

Coach
true

and yup he is coping it left right and centre

gets to a point where (for a lot of us anyway) we don't want the guy to have a mental breakdown or retire
its gone well over than what it should have IMO

Sadly, I won't be surprised if he did choose to retire from international cricket after the witchhunt from the media.

stryker

First Grade
Why do you keep bringing up that they are going to kill themselves? They probably have access to the best support groups and doctors that money can buy.

The media will praise them when they do good and hammer when they do bad which is what has happened in this situation. It comes with the position they are in and the money they earn.
Because thats a byproduct of mob mentality "justice". They copped very harsh penalties on the chin and manned up at pressers with no rest yet heros like you still line up to continue beating them down.

Latest posts