What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Im supporting Steve Smith

Eelectrica

Referee
The question is: will Bancroft/Smith/Warner contest the duration of the suspensions, and will they win against CA?
Gotta think they'll all contest the length.
If it's true that Warner was the 'Mastermind' no chance he gets a reduction.
Bancroft and Smith get their sentences reduced to the start of the shield season maybe.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Theyve been penalised for that. Obviously not well enough for you though.
Now you are going to start on Lehman as well? Get a life, seriously.

Can you cite where I've said there punishment is not severe enough?

I'll spell it out for you again. My irks is that the "good blokes" mantra and "they did it as well" excuse is not a valid excuse in letting these blokes off. It's tiring.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I mean that it's completely irrelevant. And I'd wager I speak with greater authority on that than you do.

You don't reckon Robin Williams (for example) had access to the best care and support available? Sometimes it's utterly meaningless

I'd be very concerned with Smiths mental state

Good point Bazal, totally irrelevant

there has been many people "with money" who have gone to that dark place and ended their own lives
and with some of them they have had the best support, medicine, doctors. Doesnt help one inch once you get to a place of no return

Front-Rower

First Grade
Because it's utterly irrelevant when you feel you can't even get out of bed, when you feel so totally and completely hopeless that even waking up is agonising. Why should you get help if you're worthless? What's the point?

I'll say it again. You reckon Robin Williams just didn't have access to help?

They should be encouraged to seek help from a professional as soon as possible if they feel the need to. Let's leave it at that.

Iafeta

Referee

I'll spell it out for you again. My irks is that the "good blokes" mantra and "they did it as well" excuse is not a valid excuse in letting these blokes off. It's tiring.

I don’t think anyone should get off with it.

I do have empathy with Smith and Bancroft. I truly believe they are contrite. I truly believe cricket is their passion and perhaps the culture of pushing the line grabbed them too hard. I also strongly believe they will never do anything remotely like this again.

Those two made mistakes. But I personally believe that they are not bad people. At all.

My concerns now are their emotional stability. And I hope CA is very diligent around this.

Bazal

Post Whore
Good point Bazal, totally irrelevant

there has been many people "with money" who have gone to that dark place and ended their own lives
and with some of them they have had the best support, medicine, doctors. Doesnt help one inch once you get to a place of no return

Exactly. Money or not, depression is a mongrel of a thing and getting help is a daunting step. From there it only takes a small push more often than not.

I'd hope that Smith never gets anywhere near that place, it's truly an awful thing to feel and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. But his life is cricket and he's got a hard road mentally

stryker

First Grade

Ill spell it out for you. No one thinks they should get off, including them yet terry tryhard toughnuts like you wont let it go. Have to completly obliterate them..as public sporting figures and as men. Its pathetic.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Ill spell it out for you. No one thinks they should get off, including them yet terry tryhard toughnuts like you wont let it go. Have to completly obliterate them..as public sporting figures and as men. Its pathetic.

Didn't answer my question so obviously you just have no idea what you are rambling on about.

billygilmore

Juniors
If Smith hadn’t been involved in this you can bet your bottom dollar this wouldn’t have been as big a story as it has been, the media knew that by having the someone as high profile as the Aussie captain and with his brilliant batting record they could blow this thing up to be the worst cheating in sport since Lance Armstrong.

Media 101, if you can catch someone high profile, cut that mother f**ker down, relentlessly push the story, create ridiculous headlines, rile up the masses and let the ratings good times roll. Anyone remember Levi Leipheimer? Anyone? That’s right nobody’s don’t create high rating headlines

Eelectrica

Referee
+1 There comes a time when it's time to stop kicking someone when they're down and give 'em a hand back up. That time is now.

They're not going to be rushed back in the test team any time soon, but throw 'em a bone at least.

stryker

First Grade
Yeah I reckon they would appeal on the basis that their suspensions are way out of line with others that have been charged with similar offences. And they would probably have a pretty good argument.
They should be playing shield to keep their skills up at a minimum. This will also give the competition exposure and the players in that comp some world class talent to mix with and learn from.

mave

Coach
They should be playing shield to keep their skills up at a minimum. This will also give the competition exposure and the players in that comp some world class talent to mix with and learn from.

It's a real missed opportunity there from CA.

T-Boon

Coach
Because thats a byproduct of mob mentality "justice". They copped very harsh penalties on the chin and manned up at pressers with no rest yet heros like you still line up to continue beating them down.

It is basically the same thing as that "mean girl" social media bullying thing. Trying to see how far you can push a person (see all those cameras go into overdrive when Smith broke down talking about his dad - thats what those grubs were looking for) Some of these people in the media it is almost like a sexual experience for them to be part of ripping someone apart.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Good luck and good health to all 3 young men.

Good to see that Smith and Bancroft have strong family support.

I'm sure they'll learn from their mistakes which in a cricketing sense were large but in the greater scheme of things not so bad.

Well

I thought Smith was a shit captain since I first seen his negativity in field placements

I came to the conclusion he was the worst captain of all time when it became apparent that he only lets his bum boys in the team, Maxipad didn't like Dickfingers and denounced his bullshit to the press

Neville didn't talk enough but at least he could f**king catch

Bancroft has been inept and replaced a man who never failed Australia

Warner is, was and always will be a f**kwit and an awful influence

Ultimately Smith has the wrong personality type if he's taking advice from Warner of all people

In a perfect world we'd have Smith as a batsman only

Bancroft wouldn't have been picked

Warner would've had his own transport, rooms etc including change rooms and just batted having never spoken to a team mate,12th man taking his place in the field

Paine would never have broken his finger and would still be carrying the captaincy from Clarke

Maxwell would be smart and the father of the Marsh boys would've been sterile

DC_fan

Coach
Smith is a great batsman and a good tactical captain on the field. But he is not a great leader of men. He just couldn’t stand up to Warner.