What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Steve Smith

Frank Facer

First Grade
No international cricketer, let alone the captain and vice captain have ever been convicted of deliberately, in the dressing room, coming up with and implementing a plan to bring sandpaper on to a cricket field to deliberately scuff the ball.
No international cricketer, let alone the Capatin and Vice Captain have then deliberately lied about this attempt to the umpires and the international media straight after being caught red handed doing it.
So you believe that in other instances the bowlers and captain didn't know what was happening with the ball?

South Africa's current captain has been caught ball tampering twice and is still their captain.

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
Yeah right, as if the best thing that CA could have done for Smith and Warner was to suspend them for a year and make them miss out on 8 million in the process. I am shaking my head in disbelief at that.

As if the best thing that CA could have done for Smith and Warner was suspend them for a year, when the previous longest penalty for ball tampering was one game. I am shaking my head in disbelief at those suggestions.

As if the best thing that CA could have done for Warner was bring an end to his test career, when the previous harshest penalty was one test match.

I don't care if you wouldn't have watched them or Australia ever again.

Did the Indians boo and heckle Sachin Tendulkar after he was caught ball tampering? No!
Did the South Africans boo and heckle Faf Du Plessis or Vernon Philander after they got caught ball tampering? No!
Did the Pakistanis boo and heckle Shahid Afridi after he got caught ball tampering? No!

Why would Australian fans boo their own players? If they threw a game, then they would deserve to be booed and heckled by their own supporters.

As the late Tony Greig said before he died over 5 years ago. Ball tampering has been an open secret in world cricket for over 55 years.

Tendulkar also said that everyone does it too.

Imran Khan compared getting caught for ball tampering to getting caught for speeding.

It was our media who dictated public opinion and put pressure on the ACB to impose the bans that they did. In all other cases, the ICC handed down their penalty and that was the end of it. If the media would have ran with my narrative on this matter the Australian public would have gone along with what I am saying.

Anyone would think that Australia is the first country to tamper with the ball or something.

Real cricket fans don't support the ban and don't think that our players should have been treated so much more harshly than previous offenders. Even players from other countries thought the ban was nonsense and way over the top.
Just saying how I feel and I don't think I am alone

Frank Facer

First Grade
Frank, if the 3 batsmen were playing in the next series like you suggest they maybe should be then I for one wouldn't have watched it.
Giving them big punishments is the best thing that CA could have done for the players. When they return they will have served their suspensions and all the public will be behind them and cheering them on.
If they were back playing with only 1 week bans then they would have been booed and heckled by home and away fans.
CA has done the right thing here IMO.
I will also add that if you think that some Australians such as yourself would not have watched the Australian team if Bancroff, Smith and Warner had not been banned for 9 months and 1 year respectively, well those so call Australian fans would not have been at the game to boo and heckle them, as you suggested. lol

ouryears

Bench
Yeah right, as if the best thing that CA could have done for Smith and Warner was to suspend them for a year and make them miss out on 8 million in the process. I am shaking my head in disbelief at that.

As if the best thing that CA could have done for Smith and Warner was suspend them for a year, when the previous longest penalty for ball tampering was one game. I am shaking my head in disbelief at those suggestions.

As if the best thing that CA could have done for Warner was bring an end to his test career, when the previous harshest penalty was one test match.

I don't care if you wouldn't have watched them or Australia ever again.

Did the Indians boo and heckle Sachin Tendulkar after he was caught ball tampering? No!
Did the South Africans boo and heckle Faf Du Plessis or Vernon Philander after they got caught ball tampering? No!
Did the Pakistanis boo and heckle Shahid Afridi after he got caught ball tampering? No!

Why would Australian fans boo their own players? If they threw a game, then they would deserve to be booed and heckled by their own supporters.

As the late Tony Greig said before he died over 5 years ago. Ball tampering has been an open secret in world cricket for over 55 years.

Tendulkar also said that everyone does it too.

Imran Khan compared getting caught for ball tampering to getting caught for speeding.

It was our media who dictated public opinion and put pressure on the ACB to impose the bans that they did. In all other cases, the ICC handed down their penalty and that was the end of it. If the media would have ran with my narrative on this matter the Australian public would have gone along with what I am saying.

Anyone would think that Australia is the first country to tamper with the ball or something.

Real cricket fans don't support the ban and don't think that our players should have been treated so much more harshly than previous offenders. Even players from other countries thought the ban was nonsense and way over the top.

The best post I have ever read.

Accurate, fair and passionate.

Perfect response and a brilliant argument.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Ha ha. Of course they did, they said they did.
It's a 2 week penalty mate.

The reason they haven't appealed is they realise if they do they will never get back in.

Not appealing means they will be back.....bet you hate that.

It's a bully tactic by cricket Australia.

Have fun watching us score 150 every test match for the next 12 months.

Have fun when the next non Aussie player gets 2 weeks for ball tampering.

Suckers.
Ha ha. Of course they did, they said they did.
It's a 2 week penalty mate.

The reason they haven't appealed is they realise if they do they will never get back in.

Not appealing means they will be back.....bet you hate that.

It's a bully tactic by cricket Australia.

Have fun watching us score 150 every test match for the next 12 months.

Have fun when the next non Aussie player gets 2 weeks for ball tampering.

Suckers.
Listen fella dont come back at me with your condesceding comments about having fun watching us score 150 runs every test and me hating the fact that these players will be back......as a former 1st Grade Cricket and District Coach where I looked after 120 seniors (some Australian and State Players) and 350 juniors and was the senior coach in a former Australian Wicket Keepers Cricket Academy I think Ive played and been around the game at the highest level and it hurts me like hell when I see what irreparable damage this has done to the game...not just for our reputation but the loss in sponsorships right down to the grass root levels....like volunteers and junior deveopment programmes....now Im happy to banter back and forth and listen to and respect our different opinions thats what forums are all about.....but dont piss me off by insinuating that Im happy about this depressing situation

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
Understand that's how you feel.
But you need help then.
I would say that more people agree with my stance on this than you.
1 year for Smith and Warner was spot on. Well done CA. You showed the rest of the world that in Australia we don't take cheating lightly.

Frank Facer

First Grade
If our batting line up fails abysmally over the next year, then the Australian public may be demanding that Smith, Warner and Bancroff are reinstated as soon as their bans are over. But the media really dictates what the Australian public think.

If our team fails abysmally over the next year, I can see sponsors abandoning us in droves.

If our team fails abysmally I can see ratings for Australian international cricket falling to new low levels.

When Smith does return, I can see ratings for Australian cricket spiking to record high levels as the Australian public will be interested to see the second best test batsman in history make his comeback to the Australian team.

If our team fails abysmally, we could have a muslim cricket captain of Australia in the near future. How many people have thought of that one?

Last edited:

ouryears

Bench
I would say that more people agree with my stance on this than you.
1 year for Smith and Warner was spot on. Well done CA. You showed the rest of the world that in Australia we don't take cheating lightly.

Ummm, if you read and heard interviews in the street you would know the most popular penalty was for 6 games.

9% agreed with one year.

62% said 5-6 games

The public mood has swung back massively.

But who cares, I’ve lost interest, as have most people by now. Yep, time to mooove on

Crush

Coach
If our batting line up fails abysmally over the next year, then the Australian public may be demanding that Smith, Warner and Bancroff are reinstated as soon as their bans are over. But really the media dictates what the Australian public think.

If our team fails abysmally over the next year, I can see sponsors abandoning us in droves.

If our team fails abysmally I can see ratings for Australian international cricket falling to new low levels.

When Smith does return, I can see ratings for Australian cricket spiking to record high levels as the Australian public will be interested to see the second best test batsman make his comeback to the Australian team.

If our team fails abysmally, we could have a muslim cricket captain of Australia in the near future. How many people have thought of that one?
"If our team fails abysmally we could have a muslim cricket captain of Australia"
WTF? Are you talking about Khawaja?

Old Timer

Coach
Well your point of view is different to a number of current historians and lawyers. These include people that would consider themselves realists, and not swayed by emotions or prejudice.

It's true that the Kelly question still splits public opinion to this day, we have to accept that not everyone agrees. But there are facts that place this outside of what you dismiss as 'romanticism'.
The basis of their argument probably relies on the contents of the Jerilderie letter which is a crude attempt by Kelly to provide excuses for choosing the life he did.
The simple facts are Kelly and his gang killed 3 policemen at Stringybark Creek.
Kelly was convicted of 1 murder and as that carried the death penalty he was not put on trial for the other 2 murders which has been a bone of contention for the families of those men.
If you wish to talk of lawyers then I am sure that lawyers representing descendants of those families could easily cast a very different interpretation to the one which you elude to.
There is no doubt that people were oppressed as the colony tried to establish law and order and found it hard to live under that yolk but that IMO cannot condone the killing of people trying to carry out their duty.

ouryears

Bench
Listen fella dont come back at me with your condesceding comments about having fun watching us score 150 runs every test and me hating the fact that these players will be back......as a former 1st Grade Cricket and District Coach where I looked after 120 seniors (some Australian and State Players) and 350 juniors and was the senior coach in a former Australian Wicket Keepers Cricket Academy I think Ive played and been around the game at the highest level and it hurts me like hell when I see what irreparable damage this has done to the game...not just for our repuation but the loss in sponserships right down to the grass root levels....like volunteers and junior deveopment programmes....now Im happy to banter back and forth and listen to and respect our different opinions thats what forums are all about.....but dont piss me off by insinuating that Im happy about this depressing situation
Awwwww

Old Timer

Coach
So you believe that in other instances the bowlers and captain didn't know what was happening with the ball

South Africa's current captain has been caught ball tampering twice and is still their captain.
If they want to be cricket sluts then so be it but to insinuate because they are that we should follow is ridiculous.
The idea that because they do we can or because they didn't get we shouldn't either is a complete abrogation of responsibility.
The players have now accepted their lot and if they thought they had a leg to stand on to lessen the penalties they would have.
Now that they have shown they are willing to accept their fate so should everyone else.

ouryears

Bench
"If our team fails abysmally we could have a muslim cricket captain of Australia"
WTF? Are you talking about Khawaja?
I guess it must be Khawaja, he is of Muslim belief. But he can hardly bloody bat so we are safe from that happening.
Then again we have no batsman who averages over 30 do we?
The bowlers have higher batting averages

ouryears

Bench
If they want to be cricket sluts then so be it but to insinuate because they are that we should follow is ridiculous.
The idea that because they do we can or because they didn't get we shouldn't either is a complete abrogation of responsibility.
The players have now accepted their lot and if they thought they had a leg to stand on to lessen the penalties they would have.
Now that they have shown they are willing to accept their fate so should everyone else.
One minute you say the others never planned anything they did, now you realise they did.

So you change your argument to suit.

Stealing and shop lifting, hitting anyone, and driving drunk or drugged up are far worse than tampering a lil ole cricket ball.

And the penalty for those things is....?
Not much.

The accepted penalty world wide for tampering is 2 weeks, end of story.

You would do a good job in Bali hading out death sentences

Frank Facer

First Grade
The reason that the players didn't appeal their ban, was because they were afraid that if they did, that they would have been blacklisted by the ACB and never represent Australia again. I would have been very happy to represent them if they did appeal their bans. I would have shown the Imran Khan interview with the Devils Avocate that I put up on this thread. I would have showed Sachin Tendulkar's interview that I put up on this thread. I would have quoted Tony Greig's comment that ball tampering has been an open secret in world cricket and has been going on for over 50 years (Greig has been dead for over 5 years now, so that makes it 55 years). I would have asked why our players have been suspended for 9 months and 1 year respectively, when the previous longest suspension was one test match. I would have asked that our players be treated fairly like the ICC did so. I would have said that when other players had been caught ball tampering the ICC handed down their penalty and that was the end of it. I would have even said that when Tendulkar was caught ball tampering the Indian Cricket administration actually fought to have the charge downgraded to cleaning the ball, instead of banning Tendulkar for one year.

I would have asked for fairness and penalties that were in accordance with previous offences.

ouryears

Bench
The basis of their argument probably relies on the contents of the Jerilderie letter which is a crude attempt by Kelly to provide excuses for choosing the life he did.
The simple facts are Kelly and his gang killed 3 policemen at Stringybark Creek.
Kelly was convicted of 1 murder and as that carried the death penalty he was not put on trial for the other 2 murders which has been a bone of contention for the families of those men.
If you wish to talk of lawyers then I am sure that lawyers representing descendants of those families could easily cast a very different interpretation to the one which you elude to.
There is no doubt that people were oppressed as the colony tried to establish law and order and found it hard to live under that yolk but that IMO cannot condone the killing of people trying to carry out their duty.
Well I would have shot Hitlers men who were enforcing his rules

Old Timer

Coach
Well I would have shot Hitlers men who were enforcing his rules
The only person talking about Hitler is you in your piss poor attempt to cobble together some form of ridiculous argument.
Go back and study some history and look at the facts surrounding Kelly rather than mouthing off some populous crap.