What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 6 Team vs Raiders

I've tipped every home team but I think Parra is the most likely upset. Raiders are lazy or unfit at times and might relax a little after notching their first win.

Eelogical

Referee
It's unusual that some are tipping Parra, including myself. Coming off a 0-5 and playing them in Canberra where we haven't beaten them in yonks. We must be insane.

Glenneel

Bench
Definitely possible. Has there been a correlation with going to clubs in the past and improving them? He has played five finals matches in eight seasons. Tim Mannah has played six in nine years, which is also shit.

Beau Scott has played 14 finals matches in 13 seasons, including at every club he ever went to. Jennings has been in first grade for 11 years and played in 13 finals games, also at the three clubs he's played for.

I just think players from continually failing clubs haven't necessarily shown any ability to lead. People talk about players 'wanting to play for the coach', but I think other players are the most influential leaders in that sense. Wayne Bennett said the same thing. Your culture is set by the senior players, not the coach.

Which isn't to say that Russell Packer isn't a quality leader. There is just no evidence of it.
Isn't he the captain of the Tigers?
Just on Packer he played in the Warriors for years and everyone who played for them became a worse player. Went to St George and became much better in a better team. Cleary, a smart coach, bought him for a reason, whether for leadership or playing ability we'll never know, but atm he is playing exceptionally well particularly in defence. Eventually their team attack will come (they did score 30 against us) and he'll improve in that as well. Btw, in that game, how did he compare against our mighty forwards?

Bazal

Post Whore
Na he'll be back tomorrow

Nah, Gary had it.

See, Glenny-boy is a true death rider. He actively enjoys the club doing poorly because it gives him something to whine about. And much like, say, a baby boomer who hasn't moved forward with the rest of the world, once he finds something to whinge about there's no letting go.

He's decided that Packer is well worth 550k and shits on our props, despite being almost identical in attacking output (and much worse in defence) and so he will simply ignore any evidence that is contrary to his belief.

We used to have quite a lot of his type around.

Bazal

Post Whore
Isn't he the captain of the Tigers?
Just on Packer he played in the Warriors for years and everyone who played for them became a worse player. Went to St George and became much better in a better team. Cleary, a smart coach, bought him for a reason, whether for leadership or playing ability we'll never know, but atm he is playing exceptionally well particularly in defence. Eventually their team attack will come (they did score 30 against us) and he'll improve in that as well. Btw, in that game, how did he compare against our mighty forwards?

Lol. Obfuscation and backpedalling.

Round 4, since you asked....

Russell Packer 10 runs, 95m, zero tackle busts, zero offloads, 29 tackles, 4 missed, 1 ineffective, zero errors

Tim Mannah 9 runs, 104m, two tackle busts (I erroneously gave him one for the season because I looked at the player below him in this game), zero offloads, 23 tackles, zero missed, 1 ineffective, zero errors

Daniel Alvaro 10 runs, 87m, one tackle bust, zero offloads, 40 tackles, 1 missed, 1 ineffective, zero errors

Peni Terepo 12 runs, 109m, two tackle busts, one offload, 33 tackles, 2 missed, 2 ineffective, 2 errors

And if you just take pure hitups without kick returns and other runs, Packer has 7 for 58m, Mannah 5 for 41m, Alvaro 9 for 71m and Terepo 8 for 67m

How are you gonna spin that into your death riding narrative? Ah, who am I kidding, you'll just ignore it.

#halfmilliondollarman

84 Baby

Referee
And if you just take pure hitups without kick returns and other runs, Packer has 7 for 58m, Mannah 5 for 41m, Alvaro 9 for 71m and Terepo 8 for 67m
So Alvaro actually got a kick return? I've always wondered why oppositions don't kick to his side (obviously there's lots of factors that may go into which player you kick off too, or not, I do reckon a lot of teams just kick off with no thought to it) especially given how much of a cream puff he supposedly is. Maybe they just consider Mannah a bigger cream puff. Must be it

Edit - but seriously, subjectively I think Mannah gets faster play the balls away, plus his build is better suited to the cannonballing of a kick return. And though Alvaro probably covers the distance quicker, it probably wouldn't make up for the subsequent slowing of rucks

84 Baby

Referee
Cleary, a smart coach, bought him for a reason, whether for leadership or playing ability we'll never know

Can you honestly say that if you switched Mannah & Packer at contract time last year that Cleary wouldn't have signed Mannah?

but atm he is playing exceptionally well particularly in defence.

Ummm... yeah... I wouldn't say exceptionally. I don't think he's a bad player (perhaps on a bit overs but how would any of us know) but you are overrating him or trolling

Bazal

Post Whore
So Alvaro actually got a kick return? I've always wondered why oppositions don't kick to his side (obviously there's lots of factors that may go into which player you kick off too, or not, I do reckon a lot of teams just kick off with no thought to it) especially given how much of a cream puff he supposedly is. Maybe they just consider Mannah a bigger cream puff. Must be it

Edit - but seriously, subjectively I think Mannah gets faster play the balls away, plus his build is better suited to the cannonballing of a kick return. And though Alvaro probably covers the distance quicker, it probably wouldn't make up for the subsequent slowing of rucks

Alvaro got one. He doesn't get many, though

Yeah Mannah is more suited to kick returns and less suited to general hit ups (these days) IMO. Alvaro is pretty good at getting a quick play the ball but his strength is leg drive, which makes him a lot less likely to get one than Mannah when he's fighting for the extra metre or so.

Gazzamatta

Coach
So why did Mannah appear more dominant, agressive, play more minutes and provided greater leadership when playing for The Cucumbers? A serious question. He looked a much better player in The WC to my untrained eye.

84 Baby

Referee
So why did Mannah appear more dominant, agressive, play more minutes and provided greater leadership when playing for The Cucumbers? A serious question. He looked a much better player in The WC to my untrained eye.
Obviously he doesn't care about Parra

Bazal

Post Whore

Perhaps it was a combination of his opposition, the way he was used, and the fact that he stood out a bit more as a senior player for a "minnow" nation?

I didn't get to see that much of the WC tbh. Did he play more minutes?

Eelementary

Post Whore

I hate this "Mannah is soft" bullshit that keeps getting spat out.

He averages 8 or 9 metres per run - that's pretty damn good.

In fact, a very esteemed poster in this forum wrote a particularly brilliant Forum 7's piece a few years ago comparing Mannah's stats to Tamou's, Matt Scott's, and Paul Gallen's, and Mannah's stats are very favourable.

I actually think we are better off with Tim playing more minutes- he's bloody fit, and he is reliable.

Bazal

Post Whore
I hate this "Mannah is soft" bullshit that keeps getting spat out.

He averages 8 or 9 metres per run - that's pretty damn good.

In fact, a very esteemed poster in this forum wrote a particularly brilliant Forum 7's piece a few years ago comparing Mannah's stats to Tamou's, Matt Scott's, and Paul Gallen's, and Mannah's stats are very favourable.

I actually think we are better off with Tim playing more minutes- he's bloody fit, and he is reliable.

To be 100% fair though, Mannah often gets up to half his metres from kick returns...which does pad the stats a bit. In the Tigers game (purely cos I still have the tab open) he got more; 63m from 4 kick returns as opposed to 41m from 5 hitups.

He's still at worst a useful first grader but he's certainly nearing the end of his career.

Eelementary

Post Whore
To be 100% fair though, Mannah often gets up to half his metres from kick returns...which does pad the stats a bit. In the Tigers game (purely cos I still have the tab open) he got more; 63m from 4 kick returns as opposed to 41m from 5 hitups.

He's still at worst a useful first grader but he's certainly nearing the end of his career.

That's very true.

But I include kick returns in his stats, because they're crucial for starting sets on the right foot.

He may not be the best front rower ever, but he's far from soft, and he's very reliable imo.

It's not his fault he is not partnered with someone like Campbell-Gillard or Fifita.

Latest posts