What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 V Melbourne

mickeylane

Bench
Am just about speechless, what a grand performance from the boys and in front of a big Kogarah home crowd - that's what rugby league is all about ! A big gold star to Mary as he has used the players to the best of their ability and what about Mr. Widdop's 5 star performance with that boot of his .

The sour grapes award must go to Cameron Smith for complaining to the ref about what appeared to be a perfectly legal try ( :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ) . For pity sake man , mistakes are made by the referees as they are only human - there is no need to carry on about it , we certainly don't lol !

And Bellamy I can only advise him to take a few BEX powders during the game , that bloke will have a bluudy heart attack one of these days live on air . And finally to mickylane I have only 1 question - who are we playing in the Grand Final ?
I said PENRITH 3 weeks ago!!

mickeylane

Bench
I love the dragons and I love Nighty
But boy wouldn’t you love to have a josh addo Carr on the wing
But seriously if you know your yards slower than your oppoiste you would cover your touch line and make sure Aitken and Sims were doing their jobs inside of you.. You wouldn't defend 3m in from touch against Ado Car.. f**king amateur hour x 3 times!!!!!

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
cant be obstruction he wasn't moving and had planted his feet as soon as the ball was plAyed.. On the other hand JAC try was a try .. Good rub of the green today but you can't deny we put 30+ on the Storm today!!

Not denying or making any negative comments about us except we are a concern out wide but hey..... we won, which is all that counts.

kit66

Bench
I am happy with the score, but if I was coach, I would not be entirely happy with our performance. Nightingale and Aitken were exposed very badly on our right side. Nightingale's lack of speed is a liability in attack and defence. Dufty has to get more involved. He should be sniffing around the ruck. He has to take a leaf out of Slater's book. Our ball control was very poor in the first half. I thought Hunt was quite today. Our kicking game could have been better. I think the scoreline flattered us.

I could not believe that the refs disallowed Melbourne's try in the first half, if that happened to us, I would have been spewing big time.

I thought Aitken's second try was a shepard.

I think we can play a lot better than we did today. I also think that Melbourne can play a lot better than they did today. Melbourne were missing Bromwich and Scott.

It is good to be 8 wins from 9 games. Who would have predicted that at the start of the season? lol

I was going to make virtually the same comments as those of yours I've hi-lighted. Can't agree with the shepherd but apart from that i think you nailed it.

I'm ecstatic with that win as sloppy as it was we still showed we're dangerous across the park ( except maybe right wing - my little mate Nightie continues to disappoint ) and that our forwards can dominate and frustrate any opposition pack in the league and stifle their attack. The best aspect for me was Mary's game plan that worked a treat. Melbourne usually get frustrated when they get behind and start cheating in the ruck and trying to milk every play but they were so under the pump they were struggling just to compete.
Again I'm full of pride for the boys, another amazing effort.

For next week I'd give the injured Graham and the underperforming Nightie a rest and give Lawrie a well deserved spot on the bench and Lomax ( or Pereira ) a run on the right wing. Bite the bullet Mary.

Graham is injured, he was gassed after ten minutes.
Nightengale, as much I love him time is up.

But we flogged the Storm, so in the grand scheme, who cares.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Haha. Keep floggin that dead horse, Frank.

You were obviously completely wrong about Aitken. Don't let it get to you!
lol

Not wrong at all. Aitken has only passed the ball to his winger Nightingale 3 times this year. One a flick pass to Nighty in a nothing situation. Another was at Nightingales shins and the other one look awkward. Aitken and Nightingale also very very vunerable in defence today, but I don't want it to get to me. lol

I want Aitken to succeed. I was very happy with the first try he scored. I was happy with the second try he scored, but thought it was a shepherd.

Are you related to Aitken? lol

Glad we put them to the sword today ...there was a lot of head high shots, elbows and general grubiness from these blokes, and not to mention the laying all over the tackled player......
Our defence was brutal and that ultimately won us the game.
Stinging gang tackles that often wrapped up the ball as well which stopped Melbourne's second phase.
Special mention to Sims who is creating havoc with his kick pressure and his work rate in defence.
Best thing about him is he does what he does without giving away penalties.
Lafai was awesome today and outplayed his opposite number.
McInnes - just terrific.
Second half was great to watch..

ozbuck

Juniors
It appears the term "home ground advantage" has escaped your reasoning.

It appears the term "home ground advantage" has escaped your reasoning.

Haha kept that one in your back pocket huh! You could've laid that one on the table before the game alongside side 'cecchin is going to stuff it up for us on Sunday'. Nice to have a little back up in case your essential belief was totally debunked today.

If cecchin wanted to go against us today he would've done it easily...home ground or not. There's no magic fairy dust that gets sprinkled on him when he runs out on to kogarah oval.

It's all in your head. Refs arent against us or for us. People just like to think they are. You're looking through your own eyes and can't see your own blind spots.

Ppl have gotta grow up. Refs make bad choices sometimes. So do players. So do you. So do I. And we'll keep making mistakes...so with seemingly bigger consequences than others

Lovemedragons

Juniors
lol

Not wrong at all. Aitken has only passed the ball to his winger Nightingale 3 times this year. One a flick pass to Nighty in a nothing situation. Another was at Nightingales shins and the other one look awkward. Aitken and Nightingale also very very vunerable in defence today, but I don't want it to get to me. lol

I want Aitken to succeed. I was very happy with the first try he scored. I was happy with the second try he scored, but thought it was a shepherd.

Are you related to Aitken? lol
Aitken was fitted for a Blues jumper after the game.

Gareth67

First Grade
This game was looked upon by both sides as a yardstick to where they actually were as far as premiership aspirations were concerned . Both were fit and raring to go , there can be no excuses offered by the Storm for this loss , other then the obvious one - they were beaten by a better team on the day .

This also once again highlighted our lack of genuine speed out wide , but as already mentioned by others this has indeed been the case all year , yet the Big Red V continues on its winning way .

I had always seen this game as a turning point for the Dragons , either we would begin the descent into oblivion or we will begin to climb to some rather dizzying heights of the premiership come finals time - let's enjoy the ride , as it has been a long time coming .

Last edited:

mickeylane

Bench
Bunnies are amssively underrated this year, and Sam Burgess returning fired up from suspension. They were missing him last time.

It'll be much closer but I don't even care. We smashed the Storm
This is the game that Scares me the most - the Bunnies! Burgess back and they will be pumped.. I'm on record and saying we could lose this one..

getsmarty

Immortal
MATCH REPORT

Dragons strengthen credentials with Storm win
Author
Chris Kennedy
Timestamp
Sun 6 May 2018, 04:16 PM

St George Illawarra have announced themselves as the real deal in 2018 with a powerful 34-14 win over a very scrappy Storm outfit at a packed Jubilee Oval on Sunday afternoon.

While the Storm were left unhappy with some curious officiating in the first half, the reigning Telstra Premiership winners did themselves no favours with a host of errors at both ends of the field including simple handling errors and forward passes.

Josh Addo-Carr and Euan Aitken further pressed their claims of an Holden State of Origin debut for NSW as Aitken bagged a double and Addo-Carr a hat-trick. He now has nine tries in his past four games.

Dragons hooker Cameron McInnes scored a clever try out of dummy half to put himself at the top of the NSW Blues hooking queue.

Storm skipper Cameron Smith remonstrated with the officials after Josh Addo-Carr crossed for an apparent try in the corner only for the play to be pulled back to the original spot, where Storm was awarded a penalty for an infringement on Sam Kasiano.

The first half saw an energetic opening from the Dragons as they went up 10-0 in the 15th minute courtesy of two penalty goals and a strong Aitken try off a nicely delayed Ben Hunt short ball.

The Storm had struggled to get any possession or field position but easily sliced through the Dragons' right side defence on their first real attacking chance to make it 10-4 inside 20 minutes.

From there the remainder of the half descended into a scrappy affair with plenty of penalties and both teams struggling badly to even complete a set.

Shortly after the Addo-Carr no try – which could have made it 10-all in the 30th minute – the Referees' Bunker correctly overturned a try awarded to Cameron Munster for a double movement after he burrowed over from dummy half.

More scrappy play from both sides eventually resulted in a third penalty goal for Widdop a minute before half time with the Dragons holding a comfortable 12-4 lead.

McInnes darted over just two minutes from the resumption after Smith stayed down in a tackle (due to an apparent hit to the groin) leaving a gap in the defensive line.

Tim Lafai made it 24-4 in the 48th minute from a well-worked short-side play and it took until the 63rd minute for the Storm to get their second try of the game through that man Addo-Carr to give themselves a sniff of a comeback.

It wasn't to be as the home team skipped further away through Aitken's second try and yet another penalty goal to send the raucous 19,173-strong home crowd into full voice.

A late consolation try to Addo-Carr sealed his hat-trick, but Widdop's fifth penalty goal after the full time siren finalised the 34-14 margin. Widdop kicked nine from nine goals in total to contribute 18 points.

The Dragons now sit alone atop the Telstra Premiership ladder with eight wins and one loss while the Storm cling to fourth place but with their back-to-back title hopes dented from the convincing loss.

News & Notes... Crowd 19,173 at Jubilee Oval... Justin Olam made his NRL debut after graduating from PNG Hunters roster in 2016... young hooker Reece Robson given NRL debut off bench for Dragons as coach Paul McGregor prepares to be without Camrton McInnes during Origin... Josh Addo-Carr scored at least two tries for the fourth time in four straight games... Storm at home to Titans next week... Dragons away to Rabbitohs next week.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/05/06/dragons-strengthen-credentials-with-storm-win/

Latest posts