What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 V Melbourne

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Nightingale is the only change i'd make. I know he's reliable, but as Melbourne proved last year.. You need more than just reliable wingers if you want to win a comp.

Also, if you get a chance to see how good Lomax is under the high ball, those opposing Nighty's relegation will probably think twice. He's a freak.

The Damo

Juniors
lol

Not wrong at all. Aitken has only passed the ball to his winger Nightingale 3 times this year. One a flick pass to Nighty in a nothing situation. Another was at Nightingales shins and the other one look awkward. Aitken and Nightingale also very very vunerable in defence today, but I don't want it to get to me. lol

I want Aitken to succeed. I was very happy with the first try he scored. I was happy with the second try he scored, but thought it was a shepherd.

Are you related to Aitken? lol
Exactly how did aitken specifically look vulnerable in defence?
And each of those passes gave nighty room and at least a half chance at the try line. They weren’t perfectly thrown but they were well chosen.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Are you pulling your dick? You want to replace Aitken
Are you pulling your dick? You want to replace Aitken
Yeah, I would replace Aitken and Nightingale with Mann and Lomax. I would want to see if that improves our right side defence and improves our right side attack.

Melbourne scored 4 tries down our right side today. This is a massive concern. This was an issue last year too.

Aitken has only passed Nightingale the ball 3 times this year. One was a flick pass to Nightingale in a nothing situation, another at Nightingales shins, that he dropped and the other was a pass in which Aitken looked awkward passing the ball. Aitken didn't pass the ball to Nightingale once today either. I believe that Mann would provide better service to his winger. Mann's defence looks strong. Right now, in attack, we are effectively playing with only a right centre. I believe that our right hand side attack would be more potent with a centre and winger.

If we got beat today, then I think others would be thinking that we have to rectify this problem too, but winning is masking our deficiencies.

ouryears

Bench
I am more convinced than ever that Frizell should be playing in the middle.

Graham is looking ineffective when taking the ball up too.
At the ground close to the field it is simply amazing what Graham brings to our team that you don't see on tele
Worth 12 points
Seriously
Could be very hard to get up for the bunnies next week
Two massive games, The Anzac match....and then the Storm annihilation.....i reckon proves we can get up again for the rabbits. But they are a decent team for sure.

ouryears

Bench
Geez man, you really don't like OV huh?
It's like its the only reason you post here to have a crack at OV. Hold a grudge much? #moveon
Crush...don't you think like Bellamy, Smith and Slater,
OV sort of encourages being cracked at.?!

Hard not to.

# speak up against doom and gloom

giboz71

First Grade
Exactly how did aitken specifically look vulnerable in defence?
And each of those passes gave nighty room and at least a half chance at the try line. They weren’t perfectly thrown but they were well chosen.

At the beginning of the season, I had doubts about both Aitken and Lafai and wanted them both gone.

Both had stormers today. Aitken especially is on a terrific run of form. His ability to score tries from nothing is amazing ( I keep thinking about how he burnt GI).

I’m man enough to say I was wrong about him and I’m pretty happy I was.

Gareth67

First Grade
My takeaways from todays game
  1. After 8 years my dog has finally learnt the difference between my yells of frustration and my yells of joy and sat with me for the entire game instead of cowering behind the lounge with his paws over his ears.
  2. We were aggressive for the entire game and targeted their key players, then belted them and increased their workload by not letting up on them and then belted them some more.
  3. Smith and Slater looked busted after point 2 and in fact for the first time started to show real signs of wear and tear & not being able to cope with the special attention.
  4. Lots of forward passes missed by the refs so that was not good but other than the prolonged Smith carry on the refs did allow us to play on relatively quickly and increase the tempo.
  5. Teams with older players will struggle with the increased pace of the game and our fitness team are to be commended on the condition of our players as we are getting the better of everyone and at the same time conceding very few penalties for the same offences they do (offside mainly)
  6. The calmness of our team and the self belief they played with was very high and it really rattled the Storm.
  7. Lots of good things to see today but we must pay special attention to the obvious defensive issues that see us getting beaten by the same plays down the same side.
  8. Shame Robson wasn't afforded more time I just hope they play him again next week and give him a run before half time.
  9. I will sleep well tonight and will look forward to slow mowing some of the big plays when I watch the replay in the next few days.
  10. Well done to the team, coach and support staff very enjoyable afternoon.

Most pleased to see that enough of the smog from the last few years has finally blown away O.T. to make you feel somewhat contented . As if your happy , then the rest of us should be also .

Last edited:

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Yeah, I would replace Aitken and Nightingale with Mann and Lomax. I would want to see if that improves our right side defence and improves our right side attack.

Melbourne scored 4 tries down our right side today. This is a massive concern. This was an issue last year too.

Aitken has only passed Nightingale the ball 3 times this year. One was a flick pass to Nightingale in a nothing situation, another at Nightingales shins, that he dropped and the other was a pass in which Aitken looked awkward passing the ball. Aitken didn't pass the ball to Nightingale once today either. I believe that Mann would provide better service to his winger. Mann's defence looks strong. Right now, in attack, we are effectively playing with only a right centre. I believe that our right hand side attack would be more potent with a centre and winger.

If we got beat today, then I think others would be thinking that we have to rectify this problem too, but winning is masking our deficiencies.

We're usually on the same page Frank, but I fundamentally disagree with you on dropping Aitken.

The kid is in Origin contention... And you want to drop him to reggies? He is playing unbelievable football right now and is continuing to go from strength to strength. Not to mention pulling Inglis' pants down was one of the greatest things i've ever seen from a Dragons centre.
He's virtually unstoppable 10 out from the line and i've seen a massive improvement in his defensive issues from last year.

Sure, the pass in his game is something that he needs to work on, but is it really that much of an issue when he's taking the line on as successfully as he has been? You have to remember he's only 22 and if he's got THIS much improvement in him from last year, I can only see him kicking on to be a very good player for us.

My takeaways from todays game
  1. After 8 years my dog has finally learnt the difference between my yells of frustration and my yells of joy and sat with me for the entire game instead of cowering behind the lounge with his paws over his ears.
  2. We were aggressive for the entire game and targeted their key players, then belted them and increased their workload by not letting up on them and then belted them some more.
  3. Smith and Slater looked busted after point 2 and in fact for the first time started to show real signs of wear and tear & not being able to cope with the special attention.
  4. Lots of forward passes missed by the refs so that was not good but other than the prolonged Smith carry on the refs did allow us to play on relatively quickly and increase the tempo.
  5. Teams with older players will struggle with the increased pace of the game and our fitness team are to be commended on the condition of our players as we are getting the better of everyone and at the same time conceding very few penalties for the same offences they do (offside mainly)
  6. The calmness of our team and the self belief they played with was very high and it really rattled the Storm.
  7. Lots of good things to see today but we must pay special attention to the obvious defensive issues that see us getting beaten by the same plays down the same side.
  8. Shame Robson wasn't afforded more time I just hope they play him again next week and give him a run before half time.
  9. I will sleep well tonight and will look forward to slow mowing some of the big plays when I watch the replay in the next few days.
  10. Well done to the team, coach and support staff very enjoyable afternoon.
Your poor dog!

Old Timer

Coach
Who that f*ck are you and what have you done with OT?
My dislike for the Storm is so palpable that I had to hand out a bouquet because giving them a flogging brought a big smile to my face.
However other than the Broncos I don't dislike too many other teams nearly as much, so the good news is next week I'll be back to my old self.

getsmarty

Immortal
Nope, not unless advantage is called. And it wasn’t. They called penalty, play stops. Players not hearing it means precisely nothing. I would’ve been pissed if it happened to us, until I watched a replay. Then I’d have said well that sucks, I wish they’d called advantage. But they didn’t, so suck it up.

I'm not the enemy.......people can agree to disagree...Lets enjoy the win.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons the new benchmark: Bellamy
Dragons Den News
r0_0_4005_2792_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

WINNING FEELING: Dragons players celebrate Tim Lafai's try against Melbourne on Sunday. Picture: AAP

DRAGONS coach Paul McGregor insists his side isn't getting carried away with their 8-1 start to the season… but where's the fun in that?

You've got to hand it to him – most of us would be like Tom Cruise on Oprah's couch.

Not that it matters a great deal. There are plenty of others – including 19000-strong red v faithful who crammed into Jubilee Oval to witness their side's 34-14 win over Melbourne on Sunday – willing to do it for him.

You can add Storm coach Craig Bellamy to the list of converts, the mastercoach labeling the Dragons the team to beat this season.

“What we took from today is – they're the benchmark and we know now, we've got some work to do,” Bellamy said post-match.

“I just said that to the players in there and I hope they take on board because they are the benchmark, without a doubt.

“I think the biggest learning we had from them today, being the benchmark, is we had a lot of ball there late in the first half and they defended their goal-line a lot better than we did.

“They've been doing that all season, we've been doing it for parts of the season, we haven't been consistent at all in that area.

“They've been playing great footy all season and if we we want to be playing footy in September we need to improve.”

The Storm produced an identical 8-1 start on their way to last year's premiership but, while he was flattered by Bellamy's endorsement, McGregor was quick to temper expectations.

“That's nice to hear off a great man and a great coach,” McGregor said.

"We talk about expectation, it's not from the inside. We've certainly got appreciation around what we're doing at the moment.

“To come and play in front of 19,000 people at home… you've got to appreciate that and appreciate what we're building. When you've got belief your attitude is right.

“The main thing at the moment is we have a lot of belief and our attitude is good, it's just about maintaining that and not being complacent in what we do.

"There's no sign of that in the shed at all. That's the beautiful thing about this squad. There's no egos here, wee're just working hard as one.

"We know it can get taken away pretty quickly. We've been pretty fortunate with injury so, as long as we maintain a healthy squad, we'll be OK.

“While ever we continue to work hard and prepare well, keep it pretty simple and play the way we are for one another… who knows? But it's only early.”

The match ended four tries to three and, had Josh Addo-Carr not been denied a try in the lead-up halftime, the match would have had a much different complexion at halftime.

It came after the Dragons shot out to a 10-0 lead after 14 minutes on the back of Euan Aitken's eighth minute try and a pair of penalty goals to Gareth Widdop.

The visitors hit back through Addo-Carr six minutes later and the he looked to have his second nine minutes before the break only to be called back by referee Matt Cecchin, who blew a late whistle on a Dragons ruck infringement in the lead-up.

Cameron Munster also barged across four tackles later but was denied by the bunker after replays revealed a double-movement.

Widdop steadied with his third penalty goal of the half five minutes later to push the halftime margin out to beyond a converted try.

Cam McInnes crossed from close range in the first minute after the resumption before Tim Lafai effectively put the match to bed with his four-pointer five minutes later.

The Storm finally hit back through Addo-Carr with 17 minutes to play before with Aitken left several defenders in his wake en route to his own double at the other end.

Addo-Carr completed his hat-trick five minutes from time while Widdop added two more penalty goals to round out the scoring.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5383162/dragons-the-new-benchmark-bellamy/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Photos | Kogarah faithful turn out to see St George Illawarra Dragons dominate Melbourne Storm
  • Dragon's Den+20
    • r0_1_1200_676_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
    • r0_3_1200_678_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

hotos | 2018 NRL round nine St George Illawarra Dragons vs Melbourne Storm
    Pictures: John Veage
    St George Illawarra have proved once and for all they are the real deal in 2018, downing Melbourne 34-14 on Sunday.

More than 19,000 fans packed into Jubilee Oval, Kogarah to see the Dragons dominate the Storm as they ran in four tries to three.

Dragons captain Gareth Widdop was outstanding as St George Illawarra’s forwards laid the foundation for the victory with another brutal performance.

The Dragons have now won 13 of their last 15 matches at Kogarah as they continue to turn Jubilee Oval into a fortress.

St George Illawarra remain top of the table after nine rounds. They host Canberra in Mudgee next Sunday.

• https://www.theleader.com.au/story/...rn-out-to-see-dragons-dominate-storm/?cs=3833