What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Warriors @ Sky Stadium, Wellington

Who will win? Round 1: Warriors v Newcastle

• Warriors 13+

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Warriors 1-12

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Newcastle Knights 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jono078

Referee
Just caught up on the game.

That probably went as realistically expected.

- Our kicking game was shit, just as I was concerned about with Ponga moving to the halves.
- Our bench was majorly underdone.
- It still looks like an AOB coached team. one out runs and not much football, and most of all terrible structure with players not knowing their roles and where to be.
- Lachlan Miller is going to be better than I expected, but even he had too many one out hitups for a fullback.

I dunno, I'm not so excited for the season now. I think my peak excitement this year will be when Crossland isn't named at 14.

Spot On

Coach
The club isn’t going to pay 2 years worth of contract out, and then pay a fortune for a Hasler or Flanagan.

That isn’t going to happen. No matter how many times a week you say it.

Imagine finishing bottom four this year and keeping the coach for yet another season.

Not even Cessnock reserve graders would take a contract at the shit hole.

f**king lol

Yosh

Coach
AOB can suck the joy out of life.... What's the point of a bench if they absolutely do nothing. What's the point of Ponga at six if he never gets the ball in attack out of structure in the opposition 20m. Everyone and their grandma's know when Ponga is going to get the ball. Totally wasting him at six. Fitzy was pretty good. Crossland needs to go. Feel bad for the lad but he just isn't cut out to play first grade. Gamble needs to come in at 14. Brailey is only being used as a defensive plug. What is creativity from 9? Mann is way to tiny to be a starting 13 in the modern game. How boring is our attack. I don't even care if we lose or win, just want to see some good football from our side, both defensively and in attack. Screw paragraphs. I want to see us score some tries because Hastings looks like he will kick 80% this season. Miller needs to get the ball in some space and we need to offload more to him, looked great. What's the point of having centres if they are just used as wider forwards? Screw everything...

perverse

Referee
I know Mann is the number 1 whipping boy on here but he’s the least of our problems. He was our only forward that showed any intent in defence.
It's not really that he's improved, everyone around him is just going backwards faster. He still offers very little and isn't who you want being a primary distributer of the football in your team.

But yeah, if we're going to be that bad all year, then he'll probably just skate by under the radar being ordinary.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
The Saifiti's phoning it in this year is going to really take its toll with our go-forward. No Klemmer to make up for them slacking off and question marks on our bench props being any better. I'm expecting us to probably look much worse than last year.

PhilGould

Bench
Don't agree re: blame on the Saifiti's. Daniel got caught out on one of the tries but both came up with big 1 on 1 tackles on the line when we were down to 12 and we were consistently getting into good field position during both of their stints, which wasn't the case for the middle period. Don't think they'd be getting the same comments if the gameplan/playmakers could capitalise on those chances.

Do think we might be better suited with Hetherington eventually starting for the added aggression, but you'd need a backup plan for when he's inevitably suspended for taking someones head off.

perverse

Referee
Don't agree re: blame on the Saifiti's. Daniel got caught out on one of the tries but both came up with big 1 on 1 tackles on the line when we were down to 12 and we were consistently getting into good field position during both of their stints, which wasn't the case for the middle period. Don't think they'd be getting the same comments if the gameplan/playmakers could capitalise on those chances.

Do think we might be better suited with Hetherington eventually starting for the added aggression, but you'd need a backup plan for when he's inevitably suspended for taking someones head off.
It needs to be all game, every game. They're not kids anymore. Both of them have played for their state ffs. It's time to put 80 minute performances together as a matter of course for both of them. 5 or 10 minutes of good followed by absolute arses of moments isn't good enough anymore. Not at their pay grade. Not at their experience level. Not at their age.

Ponga is in the same boat, by the way. However, he was the very very least of our worries tonight and honestly had a red hot crack for the most part. Got lost at times, as he will learning a new position and having to do more tackling, but I wasn't upset with Kalyn tonight.

Knight76

Juniors
Y
It needs to be all game, every game. They're not kids anymore. Both of them have played for their state ffs. It's time to put 80 minute performances together as a matter of course for both of them. 5 or 10 minutes of good followed by absolute arses of moments isn't good enough anymore. Not at their pay grade. Not at their experience level. Not at their age.

Ponga is in the same boat, by the way. However, he was the very very least of our worries tonight and honestly had a red hot crack for the most part. Got lost at times, as he will learning a new position and having to do more tackling, but I wasn't upset with Kalyn tonight.
You wont be getting 80 minutes out of either saf and have them effective.

Need to play them 60 minutes Max, rotate them so both get separate breaks as much as possible, need another capable middle to help spell them.

That bench was horrid tonight.

I reckon if Ponga scored that try we win. Instead, hia and we lose.

But against a team not in contention, we should have competed far better in every respect. A good opposition would have put on a big score against us tonight.

Jono078

Referee
But against a team not in contention, we should have competed far better in every respect. A good opposition would have put on a big score against us tonight.
Without watching the Tigers this round, I can just about feel them putting a score on us next week.

Yosh

Coach
Tuala got pushed for one of their tries and Ponga should have just put the ball down instead of trying to offload. We should have won that but regardless of the result, our play was terrible.

perverse

Referee
Y

You wont be getting 80 minutes out of either saf and have them effective.

Need to play them 60 minutes Max, rotate them so both get separate breaks as much as possible, need another capable middle to help spell them.

That bench was horrid tonight.

I reckon if Ponga scored that try we win. Instead, hia and we lose.

You know what I mean mate - as long as they're on the field - they need to be outputting close to their best. 60 minutes, 50 minutes, 80 minutes, whatever.

20 good minutes, 15 ok minutes and 15 really awful minutes doesn't cut it. We're paying for origin forwards and receiving nonsense.

Latest posts