What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Dead hard rockers week

Saw Rodriguez about 8 years ago in Brisbane with a mate who is also no longer Earth bound. Good memories of the 80's listening to his songs on cassette and hearing Sugarman on radio when I was very young. His music is timeless, it will be rediscovered again into the future.
Kids started getting back into him after that movie.
I really dislike that movie as it made out he'd been missing/dead etc, just because some SAFFAS didn't know any better, and they thought they were his biggest fans.
In reality he'd been playing, and even toured out here with Midnight Oil during his 'dead' years.
I was happy that the movie made his music popular again and brought him and his family in some much deserved cash.

Kids started getting back into him after that movie.
I really dislike that movie as it made out he'd been missing/dead etc, just because some SAFFAS didn't know any better, and they thought they were his biggest fans.
In reality he'd been playing, and even toured out here with Midnight Oil during his 'dead' years.
I was happy that the movie made his music popular again and brought him and his family in some much deserved cash.
I have strong memories of Rodriguez getting lots of airplay on gold old 2JJ in the early years, which resulted in his 2 albums being released in Australia. I also remember him touring here several times in the late 70s. I have not yet seen the movie

And the Band are an old favourite, I got a single of "Rag Mama Rag" for my 11th birthday, when it was a minor hit here and again 2JJ played their stuff a lot and helped me get more familar with them.

shadowboxer

First Grade
Ron Peno, this name may not mean much to a lot of people but to me his band, Died Pretty are massive.
Ron's last gig in Sydney was a few months ago at Marrickville Bowlo. I am proud to say that I was on that bill.
He was a massive character in the Sydney Indy 80 and 90's scene.
My favourite song.

That terrible news mate.
Went to plenty of the gigs in the 90’s and they were solid.
Sad to get old and see many of these icons disappear.
Music scene is so much poorer for the lack of anything particularly original anymore.
Off my soapbox - fugg social media

That terrible news mate.
Went to plenty of the gigs in the 90’s and they were solid.
Sad to get old and see many of these icons disappear.
Music scene is so much poorer for the lack of anything particularly original anymore.
Off my soapbox - fugg social media
I played Damien Lovelocks last Sydney show, now Ron's.
A bit of the surreal feel is going on.

Very sad about Ronnie. being the age I am I first saw him fronting The Hellcats at the Oxford Funhouse in 77, I remember seeing Died Pretty early on, at the launch of their first single and later headlining over Yank power poppers Jellyfish at Selinas.

On a brighter note, I saw The Beasts last night who were loud and beastly, pity no Spencer, but he was honoured with a few of his compositions in the set.

Das Hassler

Bench
I remember seeing this very good thread on your forum...RIP Ron Peno....sadly another giant of the 80's and 90's indie scene was lost a few days ago...will be made public shortly. What a bummer of a few weeks it's been

Last edited:
I remember seeing this very good thread on your forum...RIP Ron Peno....sadly another giant of the 80's and 90's indie scene was lost a few days ago...will be made public shortly. What a bummer of a few weeks it's been
Man, I'm assuming you mean Louis Tillett?
That's a killer for me. I've corresponded with Louis for a while. I recorded a song of his about 13 years ago and never released it. But I let him listen to it, and he started crying. He loved it.
One of Australia's best song writers in my opinion.

Das Hassler

Bench
Man, I'm assuming you mean Louis Tillett?
That's a killer for me. I've corresponded with Louis for a while. I recorded a song of his about 13 years ago and never released it. But I let him listen to it, and he started crying. He loved it.
One of Australia's best song writers in my opinion.

Yes....sadly so

I'll message you...

Last edited:
A sad week has just past. A mate of mine who was THE record collector and all knowing of music, Grazza, died last week from brain cancer. This Week old heroes, Sixto and Robbie, then formative years of Ron and Louis.
Listening to Louis taught me how to write songs. I'm going to self indulge for a few songs by the one of two who was a main influence.