What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Perth bears have value for tv and for the other clubs

Perth anything else doesn’t
This is true.

TV ratings for the Eagles and Dockers in Perth were dreadful last year. NRL ratings in Perth for regular season games are abysmal. There's no reason to believe a Perth-based NRL team will rate well in Brisbane and Sydney.

Wb1234

Referee
Yeh an Australian tv company is going to view a market of 2.2mill people and rising the same as a market of zero viewers/subscribers. Cuckoo cuckoo
A market which is all subscribed to afl and will provide probs not many new subscribers

they can’t charge the afl subscribers again when they watch league

Perth Red

Post Whore
This is true.

TV ratings for the Eagles and Dockers in Perth were dreadful last year. NRL ratings in Perth for regular season games are abysmal. There's no reason to believe a Perth-based NRL team will rate well in Brisbane and Sydney.
I wonder why lol. Not like you to cherry pick a single data point!

Bears will be a novelty that will soon wear off then They will be about as appealing as the dragons, sharks or tigers.

there’s some possible good reasons for a Perth / bears potential partnership, tv audience isnt one. Oh I forgot those 200,000 NS members will tune in lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
Warriors have an nz tv deal

it’s free content for Aussie tv
Which pays less than 8% of total tv money. Australian tv is where the big money is. So again who’s more valuable to Australian tv, melbourne or warriors? Who’d be more valuable to Australian tv perth or png?

going into 2028 tv negotiations I’d suggest perth would be more appealing to the buyers, png is fully funded or won’t happen so why not bring them in as 19th when tv contract is mid way and doesn’t need increase to fund them? Then by time 2033 tv deal runs around we are ready to bring in nz2 or Australia 18 to boost tv deal again.

not to mention can you honestly see a png club being built and ready to go in a 2year time period? If they aren’t announcing till end of 2024 and the club is coming in for 2027 that’s only 24 months to build it.

only driver for png as club 18 is the possible Ltd time window on the Albo largess, if he’s gone so is the deal in all likelihood.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
A few old men want the bears back. My advice is to hire a very small town hall for half an hour put on a highlight package of their glory years and move on.

Its over, no one cares about the bears. They were always a joke, now they are just an offensive one. No one wants you, you add nothing, it's ridiculous that this non event gets so much air time.

Bukowski

Juniors
A few old men want the bears back. My advice is to hire a very small town hall for half an hour put on a highlight package of their glory years and move on.

Its over, no one cares about the bears. They were always a joke, now they are just an offensive one. No one wants you, you add nothing, it's ridiculous that this non event gets so much air time.
This is it. I havn't come across anyone in Perth that has said that they hope we're called the bears. VLandys has to be smart about this satisfy the people who live in the area that he wants to expand to.

I wonder why lol. Not like you to cherry pick a single data point!

Bears will be a novelty that will soon wear off then They will be about as appealing as the dragons, sharks or tigers.

there’s some possible good reasons for a Perth / bears potential partnership, tv audience isnt one. Oh I forgot those 200,000 NS members will tune in lol
Broncos were the most watched club in Australia when they finished last in 2020.

No one gives a f**k about the Eagles around the country. Not even in Perth when they're poor on the field.

Centy Coast

Juniors
As a Perth local I agree with your thoughts. Imagine the lead up to the first game, all the excitement that should be around Perth at getting its club back. You whack on ch9 or Fox and who are the talking to?
Florimo, Billy Moore, Jason Taylor!!!! f**k me, no one here gives a stuff about the bears.
And they wouldn’t be talking to Mark Geyer, Robbie Kearns or Rodney Howe ?.
They might not care about the Bears but WA people want a rugby league team, V’Landys wasn’t a fan of what did he say “rusted on AFL States” but may think Perth + Bears = NRL.
I have heard that Twiggy Forrest’s name was mentioned last night.
Knew I should have attended.

Last edited:
Which pays less than 8% of total tv money. Australian tv is where the big money is. So again who’s more valuable to Australian tv, melbourne or warriors? Who’d be more valuable to Australian tv perth or png?

going into 2028 tv negotiations I’d suggest perth would be more appealing to the buyers, png is fully funded or won’t happen so why not bring them in as 19th when tv contract is mid way and doesn’t need increase to fund them? Then by time 2033 tv deal runs around we are ready to bring in nz2 or Australia 18 to boost tv deal again.

not to mention can you honestly see a png club being built and ready to go in a 2year time period? If they aren’t announcing till end of 2024 and the club is coming in for 2027 that’s only 24 months to build it.

only driver for png as club 18 is the possible Ltd time window on the Albo largess, if he’s gone so is the deal in all likelihood.
Do you believe the dumb biased shit you post?

If it comes down to what the broadcasters want then it won't be a matter of choosing between Melbourne and New Zealand or Perth and PNG. They've already told us they want Brisbane 3.

In what universe would a Perth-based team be ready to go within 2 years?

The only club that can field a team with such little notice is the Brisbane Tigers.

Seriously, if you were smart then you wouldn't have brought up what the broadcasters want and which club can field a team with just 2 years notice.

xe_kilroy

Juniors
I thought the Newtown Jets are working hard at an alliance with the Perth bid?

Anyway, I reckon the three locations that make up the 18th, 19th and 20th licenses will be Ipswich, Perth and NZ-2 (in whatever order).

Bukowski

Juniors
And they wouldn’t be talking to Mark Geyer, Robbie Kearns or Rodney Howe ?.
They might not care about the Bears but WA people want a rugby league team, V’Landys wasn’t a fan of what did he say “rusted on AFL States” but may think Perth + Bears = NRL.
I have heard that Twiggy Forrest’s name was mentioned last night.
Knew I should have attended.
The Sydney media? No way they'd be talking about former Reds players. It will be wall to wall old bears players.

Canard

Immortal
Brisbane Easts will be ready to go in 2 years?

Why?

Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

Last edited:

Centy Coast

Juniors
The Sydney media? No way they'd be talking about former Reds players. It will be wall to wall old bears players.
You’re starting to sound like that other chap from WA.
It was doom and gloom no matter what was said to him, he knew better, anyways.
The NRL may say they want the Bears in Christchurch, not sure why PR keeps mentioning Adelaide who aren’t even remotely in the expansion picture.

Bukowski

Juniors
You’re starting to sound like that other chap from WA.
It was doom and gloom no matter what was said to him, he knew better, anyways.
The NRL may say they want the Bears in Christchurch, not sure why PR keeps mentioning Adelaide who aren’t even remotely in the expansion picture.
You know darn well it will be all about the bears. Not a great way to start a club in a new city. If it was any advantage or worth then Perth and Christchurch would be fighting for the bears name. But neither are. That says a bit.

Latest posts