What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building the next NZ team

Perth Red

Post Whore
Don’t think they can legally go back to “Auckland” Warriors as essentially that company went under and ‘NZ Warriors’ is a different entity that replaced them
Not unusual to have a company name trading under a different registered name. That gets around previous incarnations. Not sure who owns the Auckland Warriors TM though? Actually just looked and weirdly it says its current and owned by NSWRL!

Maybe they'll just rebrand themselves as the Warriors, similar to the Dolphins.

Otherwise if nz2 goes live in CHCH, I can imagine the mainlanders all cracking a fit if the Warriors kept referring to themselves as NZ. Might be worth doing just to piss them off and get a rivalry going.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Otherwise if nz2 goes live in CHCH, I can imagine the mainlanders all cracking a fit if the Warriors kept referring to themselves as NZ. Might be worth doing just to piss them off and get a rivalry going.
Dont think its really an issue, Warriors do have fans across NZ and will continue to do so.

Matiunz

Juniors
Not unusual to have a company name trading under a different registered name. That gets around previous incarnations. Not sure who owns the Auckland Warriors TM though? Actually just looked and weirdly it says its current and owned by NSWRL!
There was something a while back about how it was possible to profit off retro merch such as jerseys etc being sold using the “Auckland Warriors” IP when some went unpaid when they went under.
Was brought up then that the NSWRL owned the logo (similar as to why they couldn’t use it during super league) and were able to sell merch with it but the team itself weren’t able to use the name “Auckland Warriors”

Matiunz

Juniors

Seems to be an Australian thing that they insist on having a place name for sports teams. The NZ super Rugby sides haven’t had an actual geographical name for 20 something years but people still know where they’re based.
As for the Warriors most people call them the Warriors anyway rather than NZ

jim_57

Staff member

The don’t use NZ Warriors much themselves anyway. End of the day I don’t think it matters too much, not exactly the same but we have a team named “Sydney” despite there being 7.5 other teams in Sydney, also “Wests” when there are 3 other teams in Western Sydney. Brisbane haven’t had to rename now that there is a second Brisbane club.

mongoose

Coach
Seems to be an Australian thing that they insist on having a place name for sports teams. The NZ super Rugby sides haven’t had an actual geographical name for 20 something years but people still know where they’re based.
European football leagues the branding is the place for most teams... Barcelona, Madrid, Manchester, Chelsea, Bayern Munich, Milan,

Perth Red

Post Whore
Id say its more a uniquely NZ thing they dont! How many major sports clubs in the world dont have a geographical linked brand?

Matiunz

Juniors
Id say its more a uniquely NZ thing they dont! How many major sports clubs in the world dont have a geographical linked brand?
You might be right. Its a good way to incorporate multiple areas without alienating others.
‘THE’ Dolphins, upsets some but everyone knows where they’re from.

final say

Juniors
You might be right. Its a good way to incorporate multiple areas without alienating others.
Probably hear the South Island team calling them the Auckland Warriors to piss them off like Kevin Walter referring to the Dolphins as Redcliffe..

Perth Red

Post Whore
I doubt anyone not a RL fan has any idea where 'the' Dolphins are from. Miami I suspect is what theyd think if you said you wee going to watch the Dolphins.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The don’t use NZ Warriors much themselves anyway. End of the day I don’t think it matters too much, not exactly the same but we have a team named “Sydney” despite there being 7.5 other teams in Sydney, also “Wests” when there are 3 other teams in Western Sydney. Brisbane haven’t had to rename now that there is a second Brisbane club.
Yep the “NZ” in “One NZ Warriors” is actually part of the sponsor name, not the team name. They do use NZ on some branding and merch (ie my 2024 members cap) but mostly it’s just Warriors or The Warriors.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I think it’s mainly a Super Rugby thing and most prominent in the cases of the Chiefs and Hurricanes, because both of those teams represent significant areas outside of their home bases.
the Blues, Crusaders and Highlanders are pretty closely associated with Auckland, Canterbury and Otago.

Canard

Immortal
I think it’s mainly a Super Rugby thing and most prominent in the cases of the Chiefs and Hurricanes, because both of those teams represent significant areas outside of their home bases.
the Blues, Crusaders and Highlanders are pretty closely associated with Auckland, Canterbury and Otago.
Even in Australia they tend to just use the nicknames in most media and marketing collateral.

Reds, Tahs, Brumbies etc.