What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How would you brand a club based in Christchurch?

The Daddy3

Juniors
Ok so there's a lot that needs to happen before the next NRL club is announced but the feedback I'm getting on a NZ2 club is that it should be located in Christchurch.
Let's say for example the nickname of the club is 'Orcas', what would be the place name of the club, which of the below do you favour?

1. Christchurch Orcas

Advantages- City names in my view are always the best option and should always be the first go to option. Consistent with most major big NRL clubs. For example, Brisbane, Melbourne.

Disadvantages - Naming the club Christchurch would reduce the potential audience down significantly to around half a million.

2. Canterbury Orcas

Advantages - Canterbury is a well known region within NZ that people identify with, especially in sport. Naming the club after the region increases its potential audience to over 655,000.

Disadvantages - Not as big a population base as 1.2 million. Would NRL fans of other clubs get pumped up to watch a tea called Canterbury? Another Sydney club Canterbury Bulldogs already exist which could cause brand confusion.

3. Southern Orcas

Advantages - Can target a potential audience of 1.2 million people.

Disadvantages - Southern is quite generic and I struggle to see locals shouting 'Go Southern'!!

4. South Island Orcas

Disadvantages - Not a very marketable name imo, are any teams in the South Island actually called South Island?

5. The Orcas

Advantages - Allows the club to embrace a wide audience without being tied to a particular location or place.

Disadvantages - Just not a fan of clubs being solely named after nicknames without place names and being binded to a community. Eventually having too many of these types of clubs could harm the image of the NRL. It works for Dolphins because they have a long history in QRL/BRL as Redcliffe. Same with The Warriors, people still refer to them as NZ Warriors and this is largely because of their sponsorship with One NZ.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Oceana Orcas, convince the FEd’s it’s a pasifika team and get them To fund it lol

tbh Christchurch has only been suggested due to the great stadium they are building. I’d like to know the fanbase and corporate support in that city before we are sure it’s abetter option than Wellington. Does it have any other advantage other than ten stadium?

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
There's nothing wrong with Christchurch, South Island, or maybe even Te Waipounamu. You're overthinking it.

There's no way that Wellington would give the Orcas brand to Christchurch though, it's just not in the cards. Christchurch will have to come up with their own brand.

Last edited:

Brian potter

Bench
Ok so there's a lot that needs to happen before the next NRL club is announced but the feedback I'm getting on a NZ2 club is that it should be located in Christchurch.
Let's say for example the nickname of the club is 'Orcas', what would be the place name of the club, which of the below do you favour?

1. Christchurch Orcas

Advantages- City names in my view are always the best option and should always be the first go to option. Consistent with most major big NRL clubs. For example, Brisbane, Melbourne.

Disadvantages - Naming the club Christchurch would reduce the potential audience down significantly to around half a million.

2. Canterbury Orcas

Advantages - Canterbury is a well known region within NZ that people identify with, especially in sport. Naming the club after the region increases its potential audience to over 655,000.

Disadvantages - Not as big a population base as 1.2 million. Would NRL fans of other clubs get pumped up to watch a tea called Canterbury? Another Sydney club Canterbury Bulldogs already exist which could cause brand confusion.

3. Southern Orcas

Disadvantages - Southern is quite generic and I struggle to see locals shouting 'Go Southern'!!

4. South Island Orcas

Disadvantages - Not a very marketable name imo, are any teams in the South Island actually called South Island?

5. The Orcas

Advantages - Allows the club to embrace a wide audience without being tied to a particular location or place.

Disadvantages - Just not a fan of clubs being solely named after nicknames without place names and being binded to a community. Eventually having too many of these types of clubs could harm the image of the NRL. It works for Dolphins because they have a long history in QRL/BRL as Redcliffe. Same with The Warriors, people still refer to them as NZ Warriors and this is largely because of their sponsorship with One NZ.
for years I was of the view that NZ2 had to take the name of a city and not a region or geographical area etc but seeing how successful “the dolphins“ have been Im coming around to the view that NZ2 should be named the “South Island bulls” permanently located in the city of Christchurch and playing a couple of games in Dunedin and Nelson.

The Daddy3

Juniors
for years I was of the view that NZ2 had to take the name of a city and not a region or geographical area etc but seeing how successful “the dolphins“ have been Im coming around to the view that NZ2 should be named the “South Island bulls” permanently located in the city of Christchurch and playing a couple of games in Dunedin and Nelson.
I'm not sure it would be the same because the Dolphins have a long and rich history from the BRL and Queensland Cup as Redcliffe. Therefore they already have heritage and brand recognition in a very strong RL area. I don't think that a NZ2 team would have the same fandom and rich history to call on and may need the name of a location that fans can get behind.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
On the Canterbury vs Christchurch thing it wouldn’t really matter, the region is centred on the city anyway and I don’t think people from Timaru or Asburton are going to be put off by it. It’d be like Newcastle with the Hunter region.

dannlarusso

Juniors
Christchurch, South Island, or maybe even Te Waipounamu.

Definitely. "THE ORCAS" by itself is ridiculous, and I have a deep hatred for vague "Southern" or "Wests" style official names.

docbrown

Coach
Both the New Zealand NRL clubs (Warriors & NZ2) should be called NEW ZEALAND.
The bigger the brand name = the bigger the market appeal.

BuffaloRules

Coach
For me, the name is the second least important part of the bid process, followed by the colours…

I want to know who is going to own it, how deep their pockets are, and is there any Govt interest to put up some funds …including for COE’s for men’s and future women’s team..

If these don’t stack up… “next!”… because it’s going to be a pipe dream otherwise with more potential bidders then spots available in the medium (10-15 yrs) term

Least they got a decent stadium underway though…..

Latest posts