What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team V Warriors - Gidley Rested

Serc

First Grade
Karma was talking about large portions of our team I'm quite sure...which was a subtle jibe at the Smith style of recruitment (I think)

But I decided not to bite and reply on this occasion :)

Jono078

Referee
Damn, I really feel this is an important game for us to win, simply 8-6 looks sh*t.

I don't want it to be like last year where we hang around 8th position all season.

Then again, this may work in our favour where the Warriors may take us lightly.

Once again with Gidley gone I expect the halves to have big games as they get their hands on the ball more.

perverse

Referee
the only concern i have is rogers will have to play the ball a lot more often without gids in the team. could prove costly... or brilliant i suppose.

Jono078

Referee
I think he'll go alright, one reason behind that is because Dureau is out for a few weeks, he won't feel he needs to come in and be really good to keep his spot the following week.

Really got no idea with this game though. If both teams play their best I think Warriors win for sure at home, but they are shocking, can't believe they've only won 2 from their last 9!

CJG 182

Juniors
Yeah Rogers without Gidley or someone to do his share could blow up big time. Hope not.

Joker's Wild

Coach
i've had the odd tanty at karma... but generally only after 5 or 10 pages of banter. sure, he gives me the sh*ts sometimes... but he's a poster that i enjoy reading. keeps me coming back. every yin needs a yang... and karma just seems to enjoy being everyones yang... so to speak.

:lol: When I first read that I thought you said he enjoyed being in everyones yang

Freudian reading perhaps?

Rolla

Juniors
Pretty excited to see how we go without gidley, its a good opportunity for rogers. I thought we were impressive against the dogs without kurt.

I still dont rate mcdonald based on what ive seen in the past of him, however he only made one mistake against the dogs (which cost him his game....and consciousness). Before that he was solid enough and i hope he can prove some of us wrong. That said though id prefer pete, coop, or Aku in the number 1.

Serc

First Grade
No wonder you'd prefer Pete, Coop, or Aku in the #1...as I dunno who McDonald is!

Looking forward to McDonnell fully proving those naysayers wrong this weekend :D

Rolla

Juniors
No wonder you'd prefer Pete, Coop, or Aku in the #1...as I dunno who McDonald is!

Looking forward to McDonnell fully proving those naysayers wrong this weekend :D

Mcdonald, Mcdonell, whatever, id prefer the others.

That said though im with you 100% and hope he has a great game. i think he has it in him too. I felt so sorry for him when he got knocked out vs dogs.

Hanscholo

Bench
This is a big game for us, we showed every sign last week that we are about to fall into a form slump, if we dont arrest it this week it may not get arrested.

We need to pick our best side. That side for me includes Vuna, I admit that I have nfi if he is injured or what. If fit, he is starting outside Sau for mine even at the expense of Uate who was probably one of our better players last week.

The Warriors have been in and out of form as they do, they rarely save anything but their best for us so I am not expecting a meek mistake riddled performance from them this week. We will have to control their go forward, which worries me, because its precisely how parra rolled us.

fingers crossed.

BG

Juniors
the 'agendas' a lot of the posters have in here against karma are getting just as tiring and old as the 'agendas' he has.

This comes at the end of your response to my post, but I hope you're not including me in that comment. I have had a few debates with Karma though not nearly as many as some members (the fact that I rate Rogers over Dureau has kept me out of plenty!... lol). However, my responses are always to the point (whether I misinterpreted his point in this instance is another matter--I'm sceptical about that--but it's up to Karma to comment). I have rarely said a word about Karma himself, and at most it has been in the vein of the one-line introduction to my post above. It is directed to him so that he can respond (you're welcome to Karma) and it is not a personal attack but a comment on his reasoning style. Twisting arguments to suit a preconceived position is a deceptive and tiresome manner of conducting a debate and I think it's perfectly reasonable to remark on it. I explained in detail exactly where I was coming from and, again, Karma is perfectly welcome to reply. I abhor unqualified attacks on individuals. They lower the tone of any forum and no one should have to defend themselves against that kind of post.

Rolla

Juniors
This comes at the end of your response to my post, but I hope you're not including me in that comment. I have had a few debates with Karma though not nearly as many as some members (the fact that I rate Rogers over Dureau has kept me out of plenty!... lol). However, my responses are always to the point (whether I misinterpreted his point in this instance is another matter--I'm sceptical about that--but it's up to Karma to comment). I have rarely said a word about Karma himself, and at most it has been in the vein of the one-line introduction to my post above. It is directed to him so that he can respond (you're welcome to Karma) and it is not a personal attack but a comment on his reasoning style. Twisting arguments to suit a preconceived position is a deceptive and tiresome manner of conducting a debate and I think it's perfectly reasonable to remark on it. I explained in detail exactly where I was coming from and, again, Karma is perfectly welcome to reply. I abhor unqualified attacks on individuals. They lower the tone of any forum and no one should have to defend themselves against that kind of post.

Nah mate, was far from a dig at you or any particular poster. Just a general observation, though i probably didnt clarify that. I agree with you, and my post was probably poorly timed as this particular case probably isnt a good example of that which i tried to highlight (cos im not sure what karma was intending).

Rolla

Juniors
We need to pick our best side. That side for me includes Vuna, I admit that I have nfi if he is injured or what. If fit, he is starting outside Sau for mine even at the expense of Uate who was probably one of our better players last week.

I also want him starting. But i dont think it should be at the expense of our best winger this year.

BG

Juniors
Nah mate, was far from a dig at you or any particular poster. Just a general observation, though i probably didnt clarify that. I agree with you, and my post was probably poorly timed as this particular case probably isnt a good example of that which i tried to highlight (cos im not sure what karma was intending).

All good, mate. Thanks for the clarification.

Alex28

Coach
Round 1 v Titans - Rogers/Mullen - Loss 34-20
Round 2 v Sharks - Mullen/Dureau - Win 24-12
Round 3 v Rabbits - Rogers/Dureau - Loss 22-12
Round 4 v Manly - Rogers/Dureau/Mullen - Win 26-12
Round 5 v Warriors - Rogers/Dureau/Mullen - Win 24-22
Round 6 v Dragons - Rogers/Mullen - Win 24-18
Round 7 v Tigers - Rogers/Mullen - Loss 26-24
Round 8 v Broncos - Mullen/Dureau - Win 28-12
Round 9 v Titans - Rogers/Dureau/Mullen - Win 23-18
Round 10 v Roosters - Rogers/Mullen - Win 38-6
Round 11 v Cowboys - Rogers/Mullen - Loss 36-10
Round 12 v Bulldogs - Mullen/Dureau - Win 22-14
Round 13 v Eels - Mullen/Dureau - Loss 20-18

So to take purely the games where it's either been Rogers/Mullen or Mullen/Dureau and not taking into consideration where all three have been used, we've won three and lost one at an average score of 23-16 with Mullen/Dureau. Winning percentage = 75%.

With Rogers/Mullen we've won two and lost three at an average score of 23 points for and 24 points against. Winning percentage = 40%

Interesting, wouldn't you say?
You must have been busting to bring this out for weeks...I'm surprised that you didn't haul it out last week if only to make your hero's stats look even better!

What it tells me is that the team - or most importantly Mullen - is playing super footy to win games in spite of your hero's inept running and defence.

Karmawave

Bench
Karma is perfectly welcome to reply.

It wasn't really a crack at Smith himself BG, it was more an inference that many of our first grade players are punching above their weight. Its a belief I have that sooner or later, players who are discards from other teams, show us the reason why they were discarded from other teams...

Simple as that.

I don't blame Smith himself for our recruitment ( or lack of ). Its already difficult for us to sign highly sought after players because lets face it, no one living the high life in Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane wants to come and live in Newcastle - as sad as that may seem - its true.

We have the same issues in attracting high quality talent as the Raiders do, but even they attracted an international last year in Bronson Harrison.

My biggest worry of the lot is, I have serious doubts if the Newcastle Knights are trying to sign a halfback such as young Ben Hunt from the Broncos to be our long term half. Clearly Ben Hunt is ready for first grade, and will play first grade for a long period of time.

Most first grade teams have their halfback situations already sorted out. Obviously he isn't about to break into first grade at the expense of Peter Wallace, so there is a real opportunity for our club to go after him hard.

Is it being done? I've heard nothing about it. There's probably only a handful of clubs that will be able to offer Ben Hunt a first grade opportunity, and we're one of them.

If the Knights don't make a serious play at him, they are deadset kidding themselves.

The Knights in the past have entered into negotiations with high level talent for a PR exercise - imo. To make it look to fans like they are having a go at signing high level talent, but really are never seriously in the hunt ( pardon the pun ) because they are nowhere near offering the kind of money other teams are.

And the reality is, we need to pay overs sometimes to convince someone to come and play and live in Newcastle. And I'm not talking paying overs to an aging forward like Ben Cross who will end up a massive waste of money.

I'm saying, go out and splash some $$$ at this bloody excellent young halfback talent who will be looking for a first grade gig next season, and who is obviously good enough to play there. None of the shades of grey talent that has clouded Walsh/Dureau.

Hunt could be anything and his talent is not a shade of grey. Its black and white.

You must have been busting to bring this out for weeks...I'm surprised that you didn't haul it out last week if only to make your hero's stats look even better!

What it tells me is that the team - or most importantly Mullen - is playing super footy to win games in spite of your hero's inept running and defence.

What's even worse about Dobjog, is he sits there and thinks he has come up with something brilliant, when in reality, 3 of the games Mullen has paired up with Rogers that have been losses were away games in Queensland ( Titans, Cowboys ) which are hard enough to win at the best of times, as well as the 2 point Tiger loss at Campbelltown that could have easily gone the other way.

The groin puller on the other hand, has played all but one game with Mullen at home ( clearly Supercoach knows Dureau is absolute ratsh*t away from home ), and the one game that the Puller played with Mullen away was a win over those high flying premiership contending Cronulla Sharks.

Meanwhile the Mullen/Rogers combination was leading our team to the best victory of the season AWAY FROM HOME against the Dragons, and racking up points in a great attacking display against the Roosters. ( And would have/ should have had more points if a few players hands didn't let them down )

I've seem some crock stats in my time, but those ones just about take the cake :lol:

Last edited:

voltron

Juniors
honestly to get a proper answer on who is better for our team
it requires alot more video watching and breaking down of the game than any of us will do.
so meh

but karma, who would you make a play at to buy? like what half would satisfy you?
cuz we know rogers isnt a long term solution either, and mullen plays better at 5/8th

thats why i dont might dureau, because he's the best option of the two in my opinion

Latest posts