What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Origin side 2010

hellteam

First Grade
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27143902-5018993,00.html
Cronulla's Trent Barrett and Melbourne Storm's Brett Finch have joined New South Wales Blues squad in camp in Wollongong.
Finch and Barrett will both train with the team on Wednesday.
Centre Timana Tahu is battling an ankle injury and, should he withdraw, Blues five-eighth Jamie Lyon could be shifted wider.
One of Barrett or Finch could come into the side at five-eighth.

If i were from NSW I'd be praying for Tahu to be left out..

Joker's Wild

Coach
Nah, replacing Gidley with Hayne would have been pretty simple given he was easily the Blues best last year and the best player in the 2009 season, and has done more this year than Gidley too.

Yet he did all that from the right wing, not from fullback.

I dont think Hayne is what NSW need at the back given some of the glaring positional mistakes he has made playing there for Parra this season.

Say what you want about Gidley but he is always in the right place to clean up the ball or make a 2nd line tackle. Given his lack of real speed like Slater or Stewart it is an even bigger testimony to how well he reads the game.

Karlos

Juniors
I have not seen one post that backs Gidley, nor have I spoken to anyone who believes he should play for NSW. Some players are 50/50 and are liked or disliked based on peoples personal preferences but it appears the verdict on Gidley is unanimous. How can the selectors defy the wishes and knowledge of pretty much every NSW supporter, captain or no captain. If he doesnt step up in game 1 he has to at least go back to the bench.

timka4

Bench
If i were from NSW I'd be praying for Tahu to be left out..

I really hope that Finch or Barret come into the squad. For me though Finch doesn't do it. For some reason i don't rate him like a few others do. I would prefer Barret, simply cause he defends better than Finch, doesn't panic in only occasional plays like finch does and did a mighty fine job last year

Knightmare

Coach
I can't belive the amount of wrist-slitting about this squad. If NSW had won the series last year I bet there wouldn't be half the negativity about this line-up. Sure I don't know how both Morris boys aren't in the squad, and picking Jamie Lyon at 5/8th is a strange one, but blokes like Idris and TLL I am prepared to give a run. Even the best players made their Origin debut sometime, and a player like Idris may turn out to fit right into Origin football.

voltron

Juniors
im really glad that finch and barret are 17.5 and 18th man
theyre by all reports guys who really bring the team together and make the camp heaps enjoyable
so i hope the team become really close and really play for one another

hellteam

First Grade
I can't belive the amount of wrist-slitting about this squad. If NSW had won the series last year I bet there wouldn't be half the negativity about this line-up. Sure I don't know how both Morris boys aren't in the squad, and picking Jamie Lyon at 5/8th is a strange one, but blokes like Idris and TLL I am prepared to give a run. Even the best players made their Origin debut sometime, and a player like Idris may turn out to fit right into Origin football.

Knightmare good on ya, if there was more NSWelshmen like you maybe you guys would have the passion that we do :cool:

Sure I don't know how both Morris boys aren't in the squad,
both should be there!
Jamie Lyon at 5/8th is a strange one
replace strange with stupid
blokes like Idris and TLL I am prepared to give a run. Even the best players made their Origin debut sometime, and a player like Idris may turn out to fit right into Origin football.
Idris off the bench though?
it sure is a better option than starting him but what's the point in the end? arguably the most important origin is the 1st and coaching staff want to change the backline around mid game :roll:

QLD 13+

Knightmare

Coach
:lol: Well like I said, it's amazing what being the reigning champions does for confidence. If I genuinely thought this line-up was crap I would be saying so, but I don't. Plus I have said "We're f**ked!" before when Finch, then Kimmorley, were given the 7 jersey and then proven wrong so I will wait until the final whistle next week to make my verdict. I think Idris is an emerging star and giving him a run this year will pay big dividends.

timka4

Bench
Knightmare good on ya, if there was more NSWelshmen like you maybe you guys would have the passion that we do :cool:

:shock: omg what about me i said the exact same thing basically! i should get some respect (this was barring latest finch and barrett post :sarcasm:), but come on haha

NSW side tells me a lot. By the look of the side the selectors are saying, "We can't outscore you, we're going to hold you guys to 12 points, and we'll score 13." Apart from Brett Morris I can't see enough points in that side. The thing is, Queensland have too much brilliance in their side. They're going to score some tries, and will crack 20 points 9 times out of 10. I really think the NSW selectors are thinking the wrong way here.

watatank

Coach
NSW side tells me a lot. By the look of the side the selectors are saying, "We can't outscore you, we're going to hold you guys to 12 points, and we'll score 13." Apart from Brett Morris I can't see enough points in that side. The thing is, Queensland have too much brilliance in their side. They're going to score some tries, and will crack 20 points 9 times out of 10. I really think the NSW selectors are thinking the wrong way here.

If QLD have too much brilliance in their team what's makes you think that NSW can outscore them?

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors

Well we went with attacking players last year who could apparently score plenty of points and where did that get us? What did Campese, Farah, Jennings and Morris do? Sweet f**k all!

IMO we have gone in the right direction this year. If you wear down a team (including QLD), with strong, suffocating defence then points will come. The Dragons have been a testament to that. A team without any real superstars who win on the back of strong defence and taking their opportunities.

Lambretta

First Grade

Mate, of course we wouldnt be slitting our wrists, we'd be confident because we wouldnt be staring at 5 series losses in a row, we'd be looking and 1.

Idris has attended more dropped balls than all the Catholic Choirs of the entire planet so far this season. Yet he gets picked for Origin. I wouldnt mind his inability to attack if he could defend well, but when you can do neither well...... He is there for his size and his size alone. Like you say, everyone has to start somewhere and he has improved since his debut, but he needed at least another 12 - 24 months before he got selected for Origin.

How many times have we seen NSW blood talented players too early and then throw them on the scrapheap until they're past their best and then we belatedly dig them up again?

We rarely pick players when they've learnt their craft and have their best ahead of them. Idris is likely to get such a lesson from Queensland that it could destroy his rep career and damage NSW for far too long.

Jennings is at the peak of his abilities with his best in front of him. Same with Morris. Either would be great at right centre. Both have Origin experience. Both are talented. Both are fast. Both can hold passes.

But I can see some sanity prevailing if Tahu goes down injured. Lyon will go to right centre, Barrett will go to five eighth. Idris will remain on the bench and NSW will try and slot him in the back row and then wonder where the f**k Gallen is. :lol:

As for T-LL, anyone who questions his involvement in Origin wants shooting. The lads a champion and deserves to be there.

Lambretta

First Grade
Well we went with attacking players last year who could apparently score plenty of points and where did that get us? What did Campese, Farah, Jennings and Morris do? Sweet f**k all!

IMO we have gone in the right direction this year. If you wear down a team (including QLD), with strong, suffocating defence then points will come. The Dragons have been a testament to that. A team without any real superstars who win on the back of strong defence and taking their opportunities.

Having attacking players isnt a bad thing, but you've got to be able to fit them into a proper structure.

Farah is a player that needs alot of time for his best to come out and Origin doesnt allow you that time for the combinations to work. Ennis is the better Origin hooker.

Jennings and Morris I dont have problems with. We can only pick one though as they're both too similar and play the same side. Having one start and another on the bench was always a wierd move.

As for Campese, he was left with Wallaces crumbs and fighting behind a small pack that was getting owned. He should be the NSW five eighth into the future, but again, we've traumatised him by playing him in a bad set up that doesnt take advantage of his abilities and asked him to defend and play subordinate to Wallace. f**king stupid. Then we blame Campese.

Dont blame the players, blame the people choosing the structure.

You're right that a system often beats a more talented side. St George show that a bunch of workmen with ability in key places gets you somewhere.

Thats all well and good, but it only gets you so far. Have very talented players and the right system and you're unbeatable. Just look at Queensland. If only Bennett could coach NSW. Then we'd have a chance lol

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Im hoping that Gidley is the one injured and we move Hayne to FB, Tahu to wing, Lyon to center and Barrett to five eight.

Heres hoping.

In all honesty, I would feel so much more comfortable with Barrett in the team its not funny.

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
Having attacking players isnt a bad thing, but you've got to be able to fit them into a proper structure.

Farah is a player that needs alot of time for his best to come out and Origin doesnt allow you that time for the combinations to work. Ennis is the better Origin hooker.

Jennings and Morris I dont have problems with. We can only pick one though as they're both too similar and play the same side. Having one start and another on the bench was always a wierd move.

As for Campese, he was left with Wallaces crumbs and fighting behind a small pack that was getting owned. He should be the NSW five eighth into the future, but again, we've traumatised him by playing him in a bad set up that doesnt take advantage of his abilities and asked him to defend and play subordinate to Wallace. f**king stupid. Then we blame Campese.

Dont blame the players, blame the people choosing the structure.

You're right that a system often beats a more talented side. St George show that a bunch of workmen with ability in key places gets you somewhere.

Thats all well and good, but it only gets you so far. Have very talented players and the right system and you're unbeatable. Just look at Queensland. If only Bennett could coach NSW. Then we'd have a chance lol

Fair call mate. Your totally right.

And on Bennett........ if only....